Forum Index » GEAR » Windshell + rain jacket or just rain jacket?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Gregory Petliski
(gregpphoto) - F
Windshell + rain jacket or just rain jacket? on 05/30/2011 11:26:15 MDT Print View

I'm weighing the pros and cons of each setup and wanted some input from those who may have experience with either or both. A windshell and a separate rain jacket offers more versatility, I would imagine, in that when its not raining but windy above the tree line, I could don the windshell and hopefully it would breath better than a rainshell? Obviously though one jacket would be lighter than two. So thoughts?

Jeff Jeff
(TwoFortyJeff) - F
Re: Windshell + rain jacket or just rain jacket? on 05/30/2011 12:14:59 MDT Print View

Event rain jacket if I expect significant rain. I can wear it open and not sweat it out if it's just windy but dry. Mine is about 16 oz or so.

Houdini windshirt + frogg toggs if I don't expect a lot of rain. The frogg toggs are really just there for backup in a freak storm. Not fun to wear, but they do the job of stopping the rain. I've always just used the Houdini when I go this route (been lucky with rain!).

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Rain Jacket on 05/30/2011 14:35:43 MDT Print View

If you are going to bring a Rain Jacket regardless then you don't need to also bring a wind shirt. The rain jacket cuts wind just like a wind shirt. Generally a wind shirt does NOT breath like a good rain jacket does. In order to be extra light a wind shirt is not going to use the more expensive and heavier breathable materials like eVent/GoreTex or have pit zips or other features that a good rain jacket typically has to make it more breathable.

For me the decision is what conditions do I expect. If rain is not likely then I will just save weight and go with the wind shirt.

Edited by randalmartin on 05/30/2011 14:38:03 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Windshell + rain jacket or just rain jacket? on 05/30/2011 16:16:16 MDT Print View

I always take both a windshirt and rain jacket.

Mark Hudson
(vesteroid) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Sierras
opposite on 05/30/2011 17:45:55 MDT Print View

I have found that taking my houdini and a bonifide rain jacket (if there is a reasonable chance of rain or cold) is whats working for me these days.

I have a houdini, a 3 layer pro shell goretex and a cloudcape from zpacks.

If its warmer I take the houdini and cloudcape. If its cold I take the houdini and 3 layer pro shell goretex.

That darn houdini is magic, I love it. I cant believe sometimes how much warmth it provides for almost no weight.

Justin R
(5150Bronco) - F

Locale: Bay Area, Ca.
error on 05/30/2011 17:51:38 MDT Print View

double post.

Edited by 5150Bronco on 05/30/2011 17:53:30 MDT.

Justin R
(5150Bronco) - F

Locale: Bay Area, Ca.
Re: triple aught design on 05/30/2011 17:52:33 MDT Print View

when talking about wind and rain jackets nothing is better than TAD gear or Triple Aught Design.

Amazing gear!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: triple aught design on 05/30/2011 17:57:27 MDT Print View

No weights listed on the site for anything I looked at, but with all the zippers and such, my guess is they're relatively heavy. Bombproof, I'm sure, if that's what you're after.

Matthew Zion
(mzion) - F

Locale: Boulder, CO
Re: Windshell on 05/30/2011 20:11:23 MDT Print View

"Generally a wind shirt does NOT breath like a good rain jacket does. In order to be extra light a wind shirt is not going to use the more expensive and heavier breathable materials like eVent/GoreTex or have pit zips or other features that a good rain jacket typically has to make it more breathable."

Going to guess you swapped wind shirt where you meant to put rain jacket. Wind shirts are leaps and bounds more breathable than ANY type of rain jacket. I do agree that if you're taking a rain jacket a wind shirt tends to be redundant.

Gregory Petliski
(gregpphoto) - F
re on 05/30/2011 20:24:10 MDT Print View

@ Matthew: Thats what I thought, what between the goretex and DWR and all. But I do agree with both of you in that a wind jacket is redundant, especially for a long term hike, no sense carrying both. Looking at the mountain hardwear epic to do the job.

Stephen B Elder Jr
(selder) - M

Locale: Front range CO
Windshell + rain jacket on 05/30/2011 20:24:20 MDT Print View

"I do agree that if you're taking a rain jacket a wind shirt tends to be redundant."

Unless maybe you're hiking hard and it's blowing like crazy, cold enough to need SOMETHING but not pouring rain...I sure like not getting sweat soaked...

Matthew Zion
(mzion) - F

Re: Windshell on 05/30/2011 20:53:55 MDT Print View

"Unless maybe you're hiking hard and it's blowing like crazy, cold enough to need SOMETHING but not pouring rain"

I agree. I prefer a wind shirt to a rain jacket. I don't, however, see any scenario that you would need a wind shirt + rain jacket. Personal preference will dictate but typically you will use one or the other.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Windshell + rain jacket or just rain jacket? on 05/31/2011 01:50:39 MDT Print View

Sometimes I bring both. If it is really windy and you are hiking up some serious elevation gains, you need a windshell and a rain jacket will be too hot. I guarantee it! I just did a hike like that this weekend.

Gregory Petliski
(gregpphoto) - F
Re: Windshell + rain jacket on 05/31/2011 13:04:39 MDT Print View

"Unless maybe you're hiking hard and it's blowing like crazy, cold enough to need SOMETHING but not pouring rain...I sure like not getting sweat soaked..."

If its that cold and windy I don't think I'd be overheating then would I? I agree with the idea that taking both is redundant (especially on a several-month hike where every ounce is critical). I only need wind protection above the tree line, so the short amount of time I spend there daily will be covered by the rain jacket.

Anyone have experience with the mountain hardwear epic? Looks bombproof (sure I might save some ounces elsewhere but have to purchase a new jacket every year with the lightweight materials most companies use these days, NOT meant for ADK cripplebrush haha) and Ive heard very waterproof.

Noel Tavan
(akatsuki_the_devil) - MLife
down sweater + rain jacket on 05/31/2011 13:26:08 MDT Print View

I like to wear a down sweater as a light windshirt and keep my rain shell in case it starts raining. When it gets cold I can wear both.

Edited by akatsuki_the_devil on 05/31/2011 13:26:49 MDT.

Matthew Zion
(mzion) - F

Re: Windshell on 05/31/2011 13:48:43 MDT Print View

"If its that cold and windy I don't think I'd be overheating then would I?"

You'd be surprised. Rain jackets can get pretty toasty even with rain and 40* temps, etc. Rain jackets are very warm when you add in your bodies respiration and is why I prefer a wind shirt.

I have no experience with that fabric.

Brian Lindahl
(lindahlb) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Windshell + rain jacket or just rain jacket? on 05/31/2011 15:28:44 MDT Print View

If you spend time above treeline, a windshell is really nice to have. As mentioned, even in 40 degree temps, it's still quite easy to overheat a rain jacket when climbing. In Colorado alpine, where the sun is really warm, but the wind chill can make you really cold, a windshirt is a critical piece of gear in my 8lb baseweight. A rain jacket just doesn't breath well enough for our sunny alpine weather, where, once you're protected from the wind, it can be very warm (warmer than the temperature would indicate).

Edited by lindahlb on 05/31/2011 15:31:08 MDT.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Windshirt on 05/31/2011 18:05:33 MDT Print View

I find that I wear my hooded windshirt in 99% of the rain I encounter, even sheets of blowing rain.
The exception would be when temps get below about 40 f. Then I will very rarely pull over a 4oz cape and use my polycryo ground cloth as a rain skirt.

I find that even the most breathable rain jacket holds in too much moisture while hiking.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
windshirt on 05/31/2011 18:07:34 MDT Print View

if your hiking at low elevations than leave the windshirt behind, if your hiking at elevation much you'll find that your windhsirt will get a LOT of wear time

get a light rain jacket (Frogg Togg/Dri Duck certainly are viable options) and carry a light windshirt (10-11 oz), very little weight penalty over a medium weight rain jacket and MUCH more versatile

someday in a perfect world there will be a lightweight rain jacket that sheds rain and breathes well, that day appears to be well off into the future :)

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
trick and treats on 06/01/2011 00:20:26 MDT Print View

the trick to not overheating and sweating out a rain jacket in sub 40F temps is to wear very little under it ... no more than a cap1 or nike dri-fit shirt, sized skin tight for wicking of course ... and to use the zipper to vent it

dont wear layers underneath, you start cold and warm up as you go

above 40F ... well youll have to ask yourself, if youre sweating under a rain jacket that is being used for "wind protection" .... arent you better off just wearing a light fleece and letting the wind cool you off as you move?

cooling isnt a BAD thing on the move ... overheating is ...

when stopped ... on goes the puffy anyways