Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Downmat warmth?
Display Avatars Sort By:
nanook ofthenorth
(nanookofthenorth) - MLife
Downmat warmth? on 05/29/2011 10:06:55 MDT Print View

Wow - I've been useing a downmat these past two weekends and its amazing how warm it is - w/ a WM Apache @10C I'm waking up drenched in sweat in the mornings. It doesn't feel all that warm though just lying on the mat.
Compared to my old ProLite4 3/4 the difference is striking. I was wondering what people did to counter the warmth on a downmat in summer? (I know its not UL - but for paddle trips the airmat is nice)

Here There
(cowexnihilo) - MLife
Re: Downmat warmth? on 05/29/2011 11:20:16 MDT Print View

My DM7 is way too warm to use in the summer, but if you like the thickness then I recommended picking up something like a neoair instead.

On one summer car camping trip I tried sleeping on the downmat and even with no sleeping bag or quilt my back was sweating. Not fun. I ended up sleeping next to it instead.

Edited by cowexnihilo on 05/29/2011 11:22:17 MDT.

nanook ofthenorth
(nanookofthenorth) - MLife
... on 05/29/2011 21:49:28 MDT Print View

It doesn't feel to warm just lying on it - but somehow it just ends up being so warm with a sleeping bag.

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
Re: Downmat warmth? on 05/30/2011 09:58:40 MDT Print View

I find my Downmat too warm to use in summer also, but less inflation will reduce the R value (and comfort).

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Downmat warmth? on 05/31/2011 12:56:10 MDT Print View

The Apache is a really warm sleeping bag... I'd bet its warmth helped counter heat loss experienced w/the Prolite. I've used a downmat in summer, no problem... but I don't use a winter (or shoulder season) sleeping bag, either. If you're happy w/the Apache, consider a Summerlite. Or shift the down in your Apache so you're not sleeping so hot w/it zipped up. Just don't insulate as much up top.