Question about caffeine products sold on this site
Display Avatars Sort By:
Vlad Putin
(Primaloft37)

Locale: Radio Free Pineland
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question about caffeine products sold on this site on 11/21/2006 10:30:31 MST Print View

Caffeine doesnt cause strokes or heart attacks. Pseudoephedrine products and ephedra on the other hand, can and do contribute to heart attacks and strokes. I dont take products that contain pseudoephedrine for this reason, unless I have the flue or a sinus infection.

Caffeine is a very safe drug and I wasnt posting about the pills being used on a routine basis. Think in terms of maybe youre doing long distance hiking. Or maybe long distance stuff in the rain. Maybe you are solo backpacking in these conditions. Maybe you are tired, fatigued and need to stop and rest for a few days but you have ten more miles to go.

In a case like that, popping some caffeine pills along with possibly some Motrin or Buffered Aspirin can help make that last five to ten miles less painful. The increased concentration might even help you read your map and compass better, might have better judgment while in a fatigued state.

This is what I was getting at...that and the fact simple OTC caffeine pills are a lot cheaper and IMO, more effective than these gucci caffeine laden food products that are marketed.

But I agree, this is a highly individualized subject. To each his own.

Vlad

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question about caffeine products sold on this site on 11/21/2006 10:41:55 MST Print View

>>"But I agree, this is a highly individualized subject. To each his own."

wise words. IMHO, good closing post.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Question about caffeine products sold on this site on 11/21/2006 17:11:50 MST Print View

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/10/27/energy.drinks.ap/index.html

With the increasing abuse of caffeine, at some point a death may very well be blamed on the drug.

robert courson
(bertcourson) - M

Locale: lake michigan
Re: Re: Question about caffeine products sold on this site on 11/21/2006 17:45:00 MST Print View

I just like to have another cup of instant Folgers. Good stuff.

christian madsen
(sherpachris) - F

Locale: SoCal
Caffeine Products on 11/23/2006 12:21:24 MST Print View

As far as actual product sold on this site, I just tried the Jolt Gum. It was hard as a rock but I guess it did the trick because I didn't get a caffeine headache. Headache avoidance is the only reason I consume caffeine on the trail. Actually making coffee is too time consuming and burns up fuel.

Also, the Wall Street Journal recently listed coffee as a good antioxidant, right up there with walnuts and blueberrys. It may be good for your health instead of bad.

Edited by sherpachris on 11/23/2006 12:22:14 MST.