Stormproof bivvybag pattern?
Display Avatars Sort By:
edvin mellergÄrd
(Edvin) - F
Stormproof bivvybag pattern? on 05/29/2011 02:36:09 MDT Print View

Hi! Anyone have any pattern for a really stormproof bivvybag? Trying to make one for alpineclimbing where I'll not be using a tarp or anything else for protection so I need something more than a bugbivvy.

/Edvin MellergÄrd

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Stormproof bivvybag pattern? on 05/29/2011 08:46:28 MDT Print View

http://www.therainshed.com/

Bivy sack. Item #147

bivymid

David Miles
(davidmiles) - F

Locale: Eastern Sierra
Bivy Design on 06/10/2011 21:54:10 MDT Print View

Do you have any specs your looking for?

Ryan Nakahara
(kife42) - F

Locale: Hawaii
bivy design on 06/11/2011 00:38:38 MDT Print View

ken i made my bivy that way but honestly i'm always worried water might drip down the side edge into the bag... the inner side material tends to drape, which is great for air flow, but maybe bad for rain.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Stormproof bivy bag pattern? on 06/11/2011 23:19:23 MDT Print View

I Have the Outdoor Research Aurora bivy it uses a calm shell top that's easy to get in out of. When it raining just shove your sleeping bag deep in the toe end of the bivy to get out and in. Bivy are pretty easy to make they are basically giant waterproof envelopes for people.
The only reason I don't make my own Bivy is I don't have the means to get a hold of gortex fabric to transfer sweat out and keep rain out thats designed for tent use verse jacket gortex fabric. I don't own the equipment to seam tape the bivy I made to make it completely waterproof. For $150.00 to $200.00 you can get a better made product from Outdoor Reasearch or Bibler/blackdiamond you know will keep you dry and out of the elements.
IMHO

Terry

Edited by socal-nomad on 06/11/2011 23:23:29 MDT.

David Miles
(davidmiles) - F

Locale: Eastern Sierra
Re: Stormproof bivy bag pattern? on 06/12/2011 10:14:22 MDT Print View

You definitely need a waterproof/breathable top. I found a material that is 2.3 oz/sq yd that is fully waterproof and very breathable. I seam seal it using dental syringe and SeamGrip. I also make mine big enough to get dressed in. The downside with most bivy sacks is getting in or out in foul weather. Having it big enough to get dressed in makes it easier to face to outside. Still only 1.5 lb. with poles.