Forum Index » GEAR » Kupilka Classic Drinking Vessel

Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Over Priced European Sierra Cup. on 05/28/2011 21:37:27 MDT Print View

"And yes, I buy pointless stuff, too, just because I think it's cool. And I would hope y'all would call me on it."

Really? Why? Someone buys something they like, they get enjoyment out of it, they actually use it (so far from pointless and a waste of money), and you feel the need to 'call them on it." Why? Honestly, it seems kind of a **** thing to do, not a helpful thing. I guess I don't get it.

Edited by rcaffin on 05/28/2011 22:11:44 MDT.

Scott Pulver
(Scottp77) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Over Priced European Sierra Cup. on 05/28/2011 21:46:00 MDT Print View

>>>I'll take a stab at a direct answer. While I don't know why BPL does the things they do, I would assume they thought that some of their members would be interested in such a cup (they're right) and moved to meet a perceived desire. While, perhaps, making a bit of money in the process.

Makes perfect business sense to me.<<<

Maybe BPL should also start selling automobiles.

Ken K
(TheFatBoy) - F

Locale: St. Louis
Re: Re: Re: Over Priced European Sierra Cup. on 05/28/2011 22:00:54 MDT Print View

>> "And yes, I buy pointless stuff, too, just because I think it's cool. And I would hope y'all would call me on it."

> Really? Why? Someone buys something they like, they get enjoyment out of it, they actually use it (so far from pointless and a waste of money), and you feel the need to 'call them on it." Why? Honestly, it seems kind of a **** thing to do, not a helpful thing. I guess I don't get it.

Ok, I guess I could have articulated that more clearly..

"I buy pointless stuff": I am trying to learn and adopt the UL techniques espoused here, but I sometimes buy (or consider buying) gear simply because I think I will enjoy it or it is cool, even if it runs counter to the UL mentality. Similarly, I have some gear already that could easily be replaced (or left home altogether) simply because I enjoy it or I think it's cool.

"I would hope y'all would call me on it": When I discuss that gear hear, folks often point out that it doesn't make sense from a UL standpoint, that there's something better/lighter/cheaper/multi-use. I appreciate that and hope it continues. Sometimes I take the suggestions and steer toward or away from certain gear. These forums (including advice from both you and Ken) have saved me a lot of money and frustration with trial & error. Then again, sometimes I ignore the suggestions and opinions just because I enjoy something, but I appreciate the discussion nonetheless. You shouldn't carry anything you can't defend, but sometimes "just because I want to" is a valid defense.

I don't think suggesting something is a poor choice is a ****-move. I certainly wasn't trying to be a ****. I guess it's all in the lack of tone.

Ken

Edited by rcaffin on 05/28/2011 22:12:30 MDT.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Meh. on 05/28/2011 23:53:12 MDT Print View

"I don't get it...it's just an over priced single use, Stone Aged Yuppie European Sierra Cup? Big deal."

---M

Says the guy hiking in a kilt and sporran in his avatar.

"Here's a plastic cup with a few pine fibers that are no doubt scrap from another manufacturing process that mills down forests and sold as a finnish cup that is probably made in some sweat shop in a 3rd world country by kids younger than yours. Jump in line and order one now!

seriously?

If i wanted a dedicated cup for drinking coffee, water, whatever, i'd buy a cool one from craig that would be made with love."

Says the guy with a mass produced, MADE IN CHINA luxury candle lantern that can be purchased at Walmart glowing in his avatar.

Come on.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Kupilka Classic Drinking Vessel on 05/29/2011 05:07:11 MDT Print View

Drinking vessel...lol.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Meh. on 05/29/2011 05:22:06 MDT Print View

eugene,

LOL - that's 8 oz of funny so my kupilka runneth over : )

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Re: Kilt Haters...Jealous? on 05/29/2011 10:06:00 MDT Print View

""I don't get it...it's just an over priced single use, Stone Aged Yuppie European Sierra Cup? Big deal."

---M

Says the guy hiking in a kilt and sporran in his avatar."-----------------------Says the guy with the ...uhh..creepy flying devil head thingie over a desert and cactus.... in HIS avatar.

Yeah, but my 10 oz. nylon hiking kilt is very functional(even has cargo pockets), keeps me cool in summer and warm in winter, and my Tim Marshall Dyneema sporran only weighs 1 ounce...besides, the tassles on my sporran are actually 30 feet of emergency paracord. How many uses can we think of for this trendy European Sierra Cup?

------M

Edited by bigfoot2 on 05/29/2011 10:09:34 MDT.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Re: Re: Kupilka Classic Drinking Vessel on 05/29/2011 11:36:25 MDT Print View

"Thanks Doug. My comment was indeed a response to the disrespectful comments about our Finnish neighbors."--Ken Thompson

Ken,
No disrespect meant at all. It's where the cup comes from...Europe. I buy lots of good things from Europe. I happen to own more than my share of Mora knives and love them, i just don't get the big deal about this trendy "Yuppie European" cup and why it's on BPL.

------------M

Edited by bigfoot2 on 05/29/2011 11:43:47 MDT.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Kupilka Classic Drinking Vessel on 05/29/2011 12:32:06 MDT Print View

Are these unbreakable ? How modern is the performance ? Can I use the handle to self arrest ? Does it float ?

ben wood
(benwood)

Locale: flatlands of MO
Re: Meh. on 05/29/2011 13:37:49 MDT Print View

hey eugene,

TOU-CHE!

as it turns out they actually are made in finland. I stand corrected.

do you know who took that photo? i think it may have been someone basking in the glow on a snowy evening. hmm....

but seriously, $25+ for a plastic cup? really? i found a plastic cup in my yard today while mowing. for free....
if my wife wanted a $25 mug for drinking coffee or tea at home i'd think that was crazy. my handmade ceramic mug that i use almost everyday (not only on bping trips) cost like $10.

Come on.

Edited by benwood on 05/29/2011 13:45:25 MDT.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Kupilka Classic Drinking Vessel on 05/31/2011 08:31:52 MDT Print View

I believe the Finnish kuksa has a bit longer a history than the Sierra cup.

Marco A. Sánchez
(marcoasn) - M

Locale: The fabulous Pyrenees
Re: Kupilka Classic Drinking Vessel on 05/31/2011 09:47:43 MDT Print View

Why bother to carry a Kupilka cup at all? It isn't UL. It isn't cheap. It's single use. It's a luxury item. And probably it's a fad. But... What about other items in our gear lists? Is a sinthetic quilt UL and necessary for a simple overnight? Aren't tarps / poncho-tarps / mids another fad?

For sure, I don't carry it in all my trips, but I'm very happy carrying it on others:

Kupilka Love

Cheers.

Disclosure: The manufacturer provided this product to the me at no charge. However, I have no obligation to advertise it on BPL.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Kupilka Classic Drinking Vessel on 05/31/2011 10:16:40 MDT Print View

"Aren't tarps / poncho-tarps / mids another fad?"

Absolutely not. Unless you mean a fad that lasts more than 50 years.

Marco A. Sánchez
(marcoasn) - M

Locale: The fabulous Pyrenees
Re: Kupilka Classic Drinking Vessel on 05/31/2011 10:42:18 MDT Print View

"Absolutely not. Unless you mean a fad that lasts more than 50 years."

I mean in the context of BPL, not in general. A few years ago tarps were cool. Then came poncho tarps. And now, mids are all the rage ;-)

Cheers.

Scott Pulver
(Scottp77) - F
Re: Re: Kupilka Classic Drinking Vessel on 05/31/2011 13:24:48 MDT Print View

>>>Why bother to carry a Kupilka cup at all? It isn't UL. It isn't cheap. It's single use. It's a luxury item. And probably it's a fad. But... What about other items in our gear lists? Is a sinthetic quilt UL and necessary for a simple overnight? Aren't tarps / poncho-tarps / mids another fad?<<<

I wouldn't call them fads.

Synthetic quilts, tarps, poncho tarps, and mids are examples of shelter and insulation, something most look at as a necessity.

The Kupilka is just an overpriced plastic cup, backed by a lot of marketing.....In my opinion.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
should I buy one? on 05/31/2011 15:02:29 MDT Print View

Did Jon Dorn start editing BPL now. Is that plastic/wood cup recyclable? Is it microwave and dishwasher safe? Will it help lighten my load? Will it make mt trip safer? Is it multiuse? Could I dig a cat hole with it? Will It match my snowpeak chopsticks? Is it the lightest possible option that can still get the job done for where and when I am going? And since they started advertising the Kupilka has anyone checked in on Mike Clelland to see if they got him to quit clutching his scull and screaming NIX NIX NIX ? How many of these do you think will be PIFed? and how soon so I can get a set of four(to go with my chopsticks) when I want to invite people along. Could we get them engraved and numbered. Please keep me posted guys and let me know how they work for UL backpacking

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
A couple more thoughts on 05/31/2011 15:14:03 MDT Print View

Not wanting to redirect the thread but has anyone got a line on a nice woven placemat to go with the kupilka and do they come in sets of four.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: should I buy one? on 05/31/2011 15:16:07 MDT Print View

"Please keep me posted guys and let me know how they work for UL backpacking"

The handle is actually quite useful for loosening up the oh-so-tight, gram-weenie sphincter muscle so prevalant around here.

See, it is dual use!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Kilt Haters...Jealous? on 05/31/2011 15:24:29 MDT Print View

"How many uses can we think of for this trendy European Sierra Cup?"

Well, it's got a hole in the handle, so you could hang it from the front of your kilt if you ever lost your sporran......

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Kupilka Classic Drinking Vessel on 05/31/2011 15:30:54 MDT Print View

Definitely a hip trowel.