Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Polycro ground sheet as a rain shawl
Display Avatars Sort By:
Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Polycro ground sheet as a rain shawl on 05/27/2011 16:49:08 MDT Print View

A recent trip where I forgot my umbrella had me using my polycro ground sheet as a rain shawl. I draped it around my neck and criss-crossed it in front, trying to leave as much covering my shoulders as I could. My backpack waist belt held it in place. My sternum strap went beneath the plastic. My camera hangs from the sternum strap and the plastic kept it dry.

I can't say it was the most effective, but it did help a great deal. My torso stayed dry. My camera stayed dry. It was warmer wearing it than without. It was raining as a fine spray and not heavy rain.

Anyway, it was a back-up plan I always kept in the back of my mind and finally had an opportunity to try it and it worked. YMMV.

clay stewart
(Reluctantwaterhauler) - F
Cool on 05/28/2011 23:13:55 MDT Print View

I'm glad it worked, Piper. I've thought about using one for that, as well, as tarp, in a pinch. I saw a video somewhere where a guy sewed a tube tent out of Polycro. It didn't look too durable, but you couldn't beat the price, for a SUL tent.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Polycryo Skirt on 07/08/2011 16:10:49 MDT Print View

I have been using my polycryo ground cloth as a rain skirt since I got it last year.
I just wrap it around twice and tie a knot at my hip.

It works great and seems to hold up against brambles.