Jeremiah Johnson 1972
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: RE: "Jeremiah Johnson 1972" on 05/28/2011 16:42:55 MDT Print View

"Deliverance" made Ned Beatty a star. Boy! What a role to ALWAYS be remembered by."

Yeah. I'm surprised he didn't get the Oscar for best sound effects. ;)

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
RE: "Jeremiah Johnson 1972" on 05/28/2011 17:54:51 MDT Print View

LOL @ Tom.

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Deliverance on 05/28/2011 18:04:35 MDT Print View

Hard to believe it was written by a poet, Surprised they never made it a ride at Disneyland.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Jeremiah Johnson 1972 on 05/28/2011 18:36:43 MDT Print View

Loved the movie....Jay what a nice shout out. I have totally forgotten about this one. May need to go to Netflix and watch it again

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Deliverance on 05/28/2011 19:06:13 MDT Print View

"Surprised they never made it a ride at Disneyland."

From the Washington Times: "One day after Osama bin Laden’s body was dumped into the North Arabian Sea, Walt Disney Co. executives smelled opportunity. The Hollywood giant filed three applications to trademark the term “SEAL Team 6,” the name of the elite special forces team that took down the world’s most wanted criminal. Disney wants the exclusive rights to slap the phrase on every product that could possibly make a buck.

The applications are currently pending before U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and will be assigned to a USPTO examining attorney in approximately three months. According to the company’s filings, Disney wants to be able to sell “SEAL Team 6” branded toys, games, sporting articles, clothing, shoes, hats, hand-held electronic video games, Christmas stockings, Christmas-tree ornaments and even tacky snow globes."

And then, from the Los Angeles Times: "Walt Disney Co. said it will withdraw an application to trademark the term "SEAL Team 6," the name of the military unit that took out Osama bin Laden. Less than a week after the Navy SEAL team's successful mission, Disney moved to patent the name in the hopes of exploiting it for toys and entertainment, making the company the butt of jokes for its greed and annoying the Navy. After the Navy filed its own trademark claim, Disney bailed out. I just want to know why someone in media relations didn't say at the time that maybe, just maybe, this wasn't such a good idea."

Sometimes you just gotta wonder.......

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Re: Deliverance on 05/28/2011 19:14:45 MDT Print View

Walt must be rolling in his grave.

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Disney on 05/28/2011 19:37:14 MDT Print View

Even if you are fabricating all of this it would not exceed the hubris of Disney and the marketing machine. Only Borges could have foreseen outcomes like this : Funes the Memorious turns into Mickey the Suburbious. And the fact that Disney now focuses on expensive stores that interact with kids to sell them junk tells me the the Sexrobot Jude Law played in A.I. is going to be ringing your inbox or doorbell soon.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Disney on 05/28/2011 19:40:32 MDT Print View

"Even if you are fabricating all of this..."

I'm not clever enough to fabricate this! ;-)

Washington Times article.

Piece of crap system won't let me embed the LA Times link, so here it is: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/05/the-morning-fix-disney-discharges-patent-application-for-seal-team-6-universal-gets-new-marketing-ch.html

Edited by idester on 05/28/2011 19:42:39 MDT.

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Disney on 05/28/2011 19:51:02 MDT Print View

Or as William Burroughs put it in NL " Young Boys Need it Special". Having grown up on Disney I do think Walt is Spinning in his grave. Spin and Marty was a bit stupid, but who could resist Annette? Until it all disintegrated into Beach Blanket Bingo when Vietnam was in our future I guess I know why I started listening to the Stones.
And Disney will get around this by splicing in footage from 20 Thousand Leagues under the Sea with a seal and Kirk Douglas ringing the cash register.

Edited by Meander on 05/28/2011 20:03:26 MDT.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Jeremiah Johnson 1972 on 05/28/2011 20:24:36 MDT Print View

Speaking of great mountain men movies, have any of you seen Akira Kurosawa's "Dersu Uzala" or the Canandian film, "The Last Trapper". Both are unforgettable and very realistic about the wilds.

My favorite book as a 12 year old kid was Jean Craighead George's "My Side of the Mountain"

Edited by butuki on 05/28/2011 20:27:26 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re:Dersu Uzala on 05/28/2011 21:20:40 MDT Print View

I watched that based on your recommendation. Awesome! Hard to go wrong with Kurosawa's work IMO.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re:Dersu Uzala on 05/29/2011 17:38:15 MDT Print View

"Hard to go wrong with Kurosawa's work IMO."

A big +1. Dersu Uzala is on my top 10, along with another great one, A Man Called Horse.

Walter Carrington
(Snowleopard) - M

Locale: Mass.
The Snow Walker on 05/29/2011 17:46:43 MDT Print View

I liked 'The Snow Walker' and Dersu Uzala is a long time favorite.

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

The Edge on 05/29/2011 18:03:14 MDT Print View

Not of the first order but The Edge with Anthony Hopkins is worth a watch for the mind game and the settings. Dersu Uzala I first saw on the big screen and it was grand. If you want to see a total fable that will get you rolling your eyes the Enchanted Forest is hard to beat .http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037672/ and if you haven't seen it Sometimes A Great Notion sure has it's moments about the PNW.The Enchanted Forest

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
RE: "Jeremiah Johnson 1972" on 05/29/2011 19:00:18 MDT Print View

Forgive me for not reading all of the Disney postings, but "SEAL TEAM 6" is no longer the name. The official name is now "DEVGROU." "SEAL TEAM 6" was done away with several years ago. As a Navy vet, I can tell you that constant name changing is typical. That move by Disney doesn't surprise me in the least. I've been involved in show business for about 17 years now. Somebody was just trying to get out in front of the money train.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: "Jeremiah Johnson 1972" on 05/29/2011 19:38:54 MDT Print View

Some great movie suggestions here! I'll never forget the scene where Dersu Uzala and the captain rush about gathering reeds before the storm hits.

Some other great movies with realistic and believable outdoor lore:

"The Eiger Sanction" with Clint Eastwood

"K2" with Michael Biehn and Matt Craven

"Cast Away" with Tom Hanks

"The Man from Snowy River"

"Walkabout"

"The Straight Story" with Richard Farnsworth and Sissy Spacek

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: "Jeremiah Johnson 1972" on 05/29/2011 20:04:40 MDT Print View

"Some other great movies with realistic and believable outdoor lore:"

North Face. A movie in German that depicts the attempt by Andi Hinterstoisser and Tony Kurz to scale the North Face of the Eiger. Gripping.

Clint Wayman
(cwayman1) - M

Locale: East Tennessee, US
Re: Re: Jeremiah Johnson 1972 on 06/06/2011 11:12:18 MDT Print View

@ Miguel:

+1 on 'My Side of the Mountain' (the sequels were just ok IMHO)

Also a BIG shout-out for Gary Paulson's 'Hatchet' and 'The River'

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Jeremiah Johnson 1972" on 06/06/2011 11:42:06 MDT Print View

I must have read "My Side of the Mountain" ten times.

Look for a movie called "Black Robe" about early settlers and missionaries in Quebec, I think. It's very well done, if a little dark.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Re: Jeremiah Johnson 1972 on 06/06/2011 12:29:35 MDT Print View

Can 1972 really be 39 years ago. That was high school graduation for me. Lord have mercy on my poor pitiful geezer soul : )

Well, you know that they say ... Time and tide wait for no man.