Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rafi Harzahav
(rhz10) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Buying this filter from Sawyer's website. on 06/03/2011 15:14:25 MDT Print View

It's interesting because there's a version with three pouches and a version with only one pouch. Both seem to cost the same???

https://www.sawyersafetravel2.com/checkout.asp

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter on 06/04/2011 15:46:35 MDT Print View

Tony,
Thanks for the info. I was just curious as to why no concern about the viruses. Like you, I'm not fond of the floaters and all, but I do filter them out. I like the Steripen. I do collect a few liters of water for camp and the inline filter wold be a nice thing to use.

Hoot Filsinger
(filsinger) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter on 06/04/2011 16:26:04 MDT Print View

Hey Ken,

I just put up a review with pics here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=48761&cat=Hydration%20%2D%20Water%20Treatment&cid=55

Bill

Randy Smith
(PapaSmurf) - F

Locale: Dream Hammock
*** Update 7/18/2011 *** on 07/18/2011 11:14:28 MDT Print View

Just got back from a week-long hike on the AT (Ensign Cowall to Pine Grove State Park) using this filter and have a few additional thoughts.

Our group - We had 12 total people in our group and hiked in small groups of 3 or 4. We had a gravity filter, a pump filter, my Sawyer Squeeze filter, and 1 or 2 that used Aqua Mira. As each small group reached a water source, whoever had a filter treated water for their group. I usually ended up filtering 6-8 or so liters each time.

Rubber washer - The rubber washer fits into the filter too loosely and falls out quite easily. Need to either put a spare in the kit or check my local hardware store for a slightly larger one that will stay in place.

Push/Pull Cap - Aiming the stream of water was easy and flow was plenty fast enough to allow me to hold the bag at an angle so that any untreated water dripping off the bag wouldn't accidently fall into the water bottle. I originally thought I might replace this cap, but I'll keep it like it is for now.

Extra Scoop Needed - Several of the water sources we encountered were no more than 2-3 inches deep. This made filling the water bag more difficult. I forgot to bring a scoop and had to use someone else's cup to fill the water bag one cup at a time. This was slow and tedious. I think I'll probably cut the top off a plastic water bottle and carry a .5 liter scoop with this kit.

2 Liter Bag - On the second morning of our hike, just North of PenMar. I filtered several liters of water and filled the provided 2 liter bag to top off bottles after the climb up to Deer Lick Shelter. Another hiker fastened it under the lid of his pack. Halfway up the hill, the bag fell from the pack landing on a rock and burst. No more bag. Fortunately, I had an extra 2 liter Platypus bag with me.

Capacity - The high temperatures in Southern PA last week ranged from 84 to 93 degrees. We went through alot of water! I was able filter water for myself and 2-3 others easily and quickly (except for filling the water bag).

Cleaning Syringe - I carried the syringe because I was unsure how long it would take for the filter to become partially clogged and slow. Never used it. The flow from the filter never varied one bit after filtering dozens of liters during the entire week. I did, however thoroughly backflush the filter with tap water upon my return home. I'm convinced that the syringe can stay at home for weekend trips.

Edited by PapaSmurf on 07/18/2011 11:17:51 MDT.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: *** Update 7/18/2011 *** on 07/18/2011 11:37:28 MDT Print View

Your experience sounds encouraging. I just got one myself, because my Steripen didn't work on my last outing (I think due to dead batteries, though I replaced them after I got back from Africa a few months ago). I ordered mine from Saftey Products International, for $45 + shipping, and they included an extra pouch attached to the outside of the package. I haven't had a chance to try it out in the field yet... hopefully that will happen this coming weekend :)

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: *** Update 7/18/2011 *** on 07/18/2011 13:11:02 MDT Print View

Randy,

Great review of how it worked for you...appreciate hearing your real world experience.

I took a trip about 3 weeks ago to Hetch Hetchy Resevior in Yosemite and rigged two platypus 1L bottles together with the old black colored sawyer filter to approximate the squeeze bottle and it worked great.

In this configuration, I simply could backflush the filter by squeezing on the clean bag to force the water back through easily. Being a closed system, it did not require much pressure to back flush the filter.

Question for you Randy: does it look like you could screw on two platypus bags, one on each end? (Clean and dirty bag).

-Tony

Randy Smith
(PapaSmurf) - F

Re: Re: *** Update 7/18/2011 *** on 07/19/2011 08:51:42 MDT Print View

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I recieved 2 Aquasimple Bottle Caps from Arrowhead Equipment last night, but didn't have time to play with them. I also plan to order a "tornado tube" http://www.amazon.com/Tornado-Tube-Tubes/dp/B0006Z8YBQ or something very similar.

My goal is one filter that can be reconfigured to serve all my needs (solo, small group and large group). I think this product just might be the best starting point.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Attaching Two Platy Bottle to Sawyer Squeeze Filter on 07/19/2011 12:52:17 MDT Print View

Randy,

Sounds intriguing.

Once you get your setup together, maybe you can post some photos of what it looks like.

-Tony

Rafi Harzahav
(rhz10) - F

Using Platypus bottles with new Sawyer filter.... on 07/19/2011 16:24:13 MDT Print View

Hi Randy,

I bought this new Sawyer filter, but I've found that my Platypus soft bottles do not form a tight seal on either the input or the output of the filter. This was somewhat disappointing. Was this your experience also?

Thanks,

rhz

Hoot Filsinger
(filsinger) - MLife

Re: Using Platypus bottles with new Sawyer filter.... on 07/19/2011 17:04:49 MDT Print View

Hey Rafi,
Are you using the enclosed white hose washer in the fittings? If not this will solve your leaks. I bought extras at my local ACE because they are easy to lose. I also adapted this filter as a gravity filter using the hose fitting at arrowhwad equipment.It has good flow with about a 2 foot hose.
http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1191146

Randy,
Nice call on the tornado tube fitting.Now back flushing is made easy using any platy or any thin water bottle (no need to take the syringe).

Bill

Rafi Harzahav
(rhz10) - F

Hi Bill on 07/19/2011 17:29:36 MDT Print View

I'll try it again when I get home, but it seemed like the entire Platypus threading was simply incompatible with the filter input. (I did try it with the washer.)

Randy Smith
(PapaSmurf) - F

Platypus Thread on 07/19/2011 19:45:39 MDT Print View

I too found that my Platypus bag was a little more difficult to screw on, but if I used firm pressure while screwing on the filter, it sealed just fine.

The Platypus bag has fewer threads than the provided Sawyer bag.

The tornado tube is on order. I will report back the results.

Curtis B.
(rutilate) - MLife

You convinced me... on 07/20/2011 09:56:16 MDT Print View

You all convinced me. Thanks for posting details and pics--you've given me everything I need to purchase and duplicate your setups!

Hoot Filsinger
(filsinger) - MLife

Re: Re: Using Platypus bottles with new Sawyer filter.... on 07/20/2011 19:10:15 MDT Print View

Randy,

Because I am a science teacher I already had a Tornado Tube (TT) in my room to try out.I found you need to modify it by cutting (I used a bandsaw)about 1/4 inch off each end this allows Platys and other standard drinking bottles to seat into the threads. The seals are tight using the TT so washers are not needed. This is an excellent setup for backflushing and eliminates the need for the syringe. The modified TT weighs 12 grams vs 35 grams for the bulky syringe. I found this setup also works as a gravity feed system (see photos) without the need for tubing which is an added bonus.I included a photo of the arrowhead equipment adaptor but I doubt I will use this as the TT does it all.

modified tornado tube on filtergravity feedsystem

Randy Smith
(PapaSmurf) - F

Sawyer Squeeze + Platypus + Tornado Tube on 07/20/2011 20:32:13 MDT Print View

Thanks Bill for doing the legwork. Good news about the Tornado Tube fitting tightly.

Richard Brownkatz
(Rbrownkatz) - F

Locale: Southeast
Tornado Tube? on 07/22/2011 11:01:39 MDT Print View

Would someone please explain the Tornado Tube and its use here?
I Googled it and found what seems to be just a science project.
Thanks.

Randy Smith
(PapaSmurf) - F

Re: Tornado Tube? on 07/22/2011 11:18:02 MDT Print View

It is a small plastic fitting used to join two 2 liters bottles together. Bill could likely give us the science lecture behind how it works. For our purposes, it is a fitting that will join the Sawyer Squeeze male threaded end directly to the male threads on a Platypus bottle. You can see the fitting a couple posts back. It's the blue object.

Edited by PapaSmurf on 07/22/2011 11:19:25 MDT.

Richard Brownkatz
(Rbrownkatz) - F

Locale: Southeast
Thanks on 07/22/2011 11:35:07 MDT Print View

Thanks Randy

Curtis B.
(rutilate) - MLife

What about using the quick disconnect? on 07/25/2011 12:22:50 MDT Print View

What do you think of using the Sawyer quick disconnect male + female listed here: https://www.sawyersafetravel2.com/moreinformation.asp?pid=169?

I've sent an email asking for the weight in ounces.

I am thinking about using the quick disconnect to more easily connect to a 2L platypus bladder without having to unpack the bladder every time I refill.

Would you put it in the tubing near the top of the pack or nearest the mouthpiece? I'm leaning towards the former to keep it from swinging around. Unpacking the lid to plug in and refill is ok, unpacking the whole pack to remove the bladder is a pain.

Thoughts?

Randy Smith
(PapaSmurf) - F

Re: What about using the quick disconnect? on 07/25/2011 19:01:44 MDT Print View

Makes sense for anyone using it as a hydration bladder.