Forum Index » GEAR » Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter on 05/26/2011 15:49:08 MDT Print View

Has anyone seen this or have it??? I just found this and was wondering. Looks ineresting. It weighs in at 3 oz.

http://www.sawyer.com/SP131.htm

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter on 05/26/2011 16:03:35 MDT Print View

Nice find! It must be quite new; I've neither seen nor heard of it before. If the pouches hold up I could see this becoming quite popular. (I wonder what the cleaning syringe is?)

Cheers,

Rick

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter on 05/26/2011 16:09:51 MDT Print View

Rick, I just got the new Backpacker and saw an advertisement for it. Looks promising! I too was looking at the syringe and wondering what it is for....backflushing????? You get three bags with it too. 3 ounces....hmmmm

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter on 05/26/2011 16:33:12 MDT Print View

The product ad does not state what the lifetime of the filter is, like 100 gallons or whatever.

--B.G.--

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter on 05/26/2011 16:56:10 MDT Print View

Betting the filter has the same life as other Sawyer filters. The syringe should be for backflushing, same as for other Sawyer products including a syringe.

Edited by jshann on 05/26/2011 16:56:40 MDT.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter on 05/26/2011 17:09:49 MDT Print View

"Betting the filter has the same life as other Sawyer filters. The syringe should be for backflushing, same as for other Sawyer products including a syringe."

Agreed, it's a slight reworking of the standard Sawyer 0.1┬Ám filter, in which case it's basically a "lifetime" warranty, per Sawyer. Other Sawyer filters come with a faucet backflush adapter and they tell you for field backwashing to force clean water back through the filter using a water bag and hose. The "syringe" that comes with this one might be an irrigation syringe with some sort of fitting.

Need to get my mitts on one!

Cheers,

Rick

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter on 05/26/2011 17:12:19 MDT Print View

Rick, Ebay has them for $49.95

and yes, the syringe is indeed used for backflushing in the field. The directions on how to do that are on the bags that come with the filter

Edited by kennyhel77 on 05/26/2011 17:19:48 MDT.

Doug Reeves
(strawman) - F

Locale: God's Country
1 million gallon guarantee on 05/26/2011 20:40:37 MDT Print View

The ad in the newest Backpacker says it has a one million gallon guarantee.

Ryan Christman
(radio_guy) - MLife

Locale: Midwest U.S.
Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter on 05/26/2011 22:32:38 MDT Print View

Very cool. Since there is a threaded cap, is there a possibility some sort of small carbon filter element could be attached? Possibly MYOG? I have contemplated converting my MSR Hyperflow into a gravity feed with a screw on carbon element but this new Sawyer looks much better.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter on 05/26/2011 23:16:38 MDT Print View

http://alanrayneroutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/05/water-filter-sawyer-squeeze.html

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
review on 05/27/2011 04:28:24 MDT Print View

Lot's of info on sawyer filters in the reader reviews:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=5536&cat=Hydration%20-%20Water%20Treatment&cid=55

But bear in mind that some of them date back to 2007. For instance, there is a lot of discussion on how to MYOG a gravity setup. (Sawyer now makes one.)

I love my Sawyer, and don't understand why more people don't use them. They seem to be the Perfect Filter.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: review on 05/27/2011 05:19:40 MDT Print View

Filter and other water treatment methods are on the wiki in Gear:Water

Heath Pitts
(heathpitts) - F

Locale: Nashville
Sawyer on 05/27/2011 06:26:18 MDT Print View

Dean, I have to agree with you on the Sawyer filters. I used their inline model on my MYOG gravity filter last weekend and it was great. The flow was much higher than I expected. These squeeze filters look like a good addition to their lineup

Randy Smith
(PapaSmurf) - F

Locale: Dream Hammock
Very promising on 06/02/2011 09:07:01 MDT Print View

Mine came in the other day. Looks good, but I haven't yet put any water through it.

Couple observations/thoughts.
The top (or dirty) end is a female threaded "2 liter bottle sized" opening which the included bag or alternate bottle or bag can attach.

The bottom (or clean) end is a male threaded "2 liter bottle sized" opening which the push/pull cap is attached.

I'm kinda thinking that this filter may be the perfect "one size fits all" filter I've been looking for.

Should be easy enough to rig it as a gravity filter by fitting it with hoses and adapters. Use as purchased for a squeeze filter. Used to top 1 liter bottles on a solo trip.

If folks are interested, I'd be happy to take a couple photos and share them.

Thomas Budge
(budgthom) - F

Locale: Idaho
photos/tests on 06/02/2011 10:30:50 MDT Print View

I would certainly be interested in photos, how easy it squeezes, and how effective it is when used in a gravity setup.

Randy Smith
(PapaSmurf) - F

photos/tests on 06/02/2011 19:24:06 MDT Print View

I put a few photos and some initial test results and weights on this web page.
http://www.mydiygear.com/pages/other-gear/sawyer-sp132.php

Alex H
(abhitt) - MLife

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW
Re: photos/tests on 06/03/2011 04:37:10 MDT Print View

Randy, great work on the photos and write up. Looks promising, thanks.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter on 06/03/2011 05:50:50 MDT Print View

I have a question about these filters....is anyone concerned about them not removing viruses? I was thinking of using a setup like the sawyer, but no viruses are removed. I use a Steripen right now and wondered about this. Anyone?

Randy Smith
(PapaSmurf) - F

Viruses? on 06/03/2011 06:51:14 MDT Print View

This will be the only filter I carry this summer on my hikes.
Possibly someone more knowledgable can answer questions concerning viruses?

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter on 06/03/2011 12:39:59 MDT Print View

Donna,

Consensus seems to be that viruses are not an issue in the States.

Not sure why, but does not seem to be an issue.

I have been using the Sawyer filter for about 3 years now as my only water treatment on my hikes in the SF Bay Area and the Sierras.

Never had an issue, never been sick, still using the same ole filter with no problems.

If you are concerned about that, you could add chemicals to the water after treating or you might be better off with a Steripen.

I like the Sawyer because I psychologically don't like the idea of particles and chunky things in the water I drink and the Sawyer takes care of that for me and is faster than chemicals.

Nothing wrong with the Steripen at all....have a friend who used it for 9 days on the Tahoe Rim Trail with no problem, so I know it works too.

-Tony