Forum Index » GEAR » The perfect ultralight flashlight?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Josh Christensen
(jpc44) - F

Locale: NE
Re: Quark MiNi X 123 on 05/27/2011 15:43:06 MDT Print View

Cool, I wanted to find a CR123 light but didn't want to pay $140+ for it. Tough to decide between the Mini and the MiniX though...

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Surefire's overpricing on 05/27/2011 18:29:11 MDT Print View

Surefire is way overpriced because it has become the "Item" for military and police.
They most often get the short Surefires to mount on rifles and under pistols.

I think Maglite is coming out with some good competing models for a lot less - if you MUST have a flashlight.

Simon Wurster
(Einstein) - F

Locale: Big Apple
Re: Re: The perfect ultralight flashlight? on 05/27/2011 21:49:28 MDT Print View

+1 on the 4 Sevens Quark Mini 123, but only b/c I got the warm-tint LED. For backcountry use, the warm tint is soooo much better at differentiating natural color tones. It's like having x-ray vision: where the gray/brown rocks end and the gray/brown trail begins is very clear. Also, slippery leaves are contrasted well against non-slippery rocks. (I compared the Mini to my Fenix L1D, and the cool white LED in the L1D made everything looked washed-out.) Think of the warm tint as the benefit of holding a light at hip-height (vs. on your head) times 2.

I use Tenergy 900 ma rechargeables in both the Mini 123 and SteriPen Adventurer; you can get a recharging set with 4 batts. on Amazon.com for about $30. Figure half the runtime with a rechargeable (which is normal for Li-Ion), one battery can last 3-4 days in summer (~3 hrs on low, ~1 hr on medium, ~1/2 hr on high, per day). Weight with one battery is 1.25 oz.

One thing I don't like about the Mini is it tends to skip levels (low to high, when I just wanted medium). I only wish there was a headlamp version.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Re: Re: The perfect ultralight flashlight? on 05/27/2011 22:02:45 MDT Print View

Many Maglites are not lithium compatible.

Edited by kthompson on 05/27/2011 22:04:13 MDT.

christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
Wow on 05/30/2011 10:37:12 MDT Print View

Thanks everyone for all the great responses. To answer the question a few of you have asked, I use a black diamond Storm as my headlamp. Despite the fact that I'm an ultralight backpacker, i still love having a separate flashlight. I'm kind of weird that way.

And yes, I had not one, but two bears come after me once! Luckily they were just fuzzy California black bears and I was able to scare them off. They looked straight at me, walked toward me, and didn't stop until they were within about 15 feet. Don't worry I brought a spare pair of boxers. ;)

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: The perfect ultralight flashlight? on 05/31/2011 12:52:55 MDT Print View

How about 80 lumens and 0.32oz/9g? Check the iTP A3 EOS upgrade at Going Gear.

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_19&products_id=389

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: The perfect ultralight flashlight? on 05/31/2011 13:37:26 MDT Print View

You won't get 80 lumens out of that 9 grams without a battery.

--B.G.--

Justin R
(5150Bronco) - F

Locale: Bay Area, Ca.
Re: Surefire's overpricing on 06/01/2011 02:39:31 MDT Print View

surefires have raised their prices, but their quality and customer service is second to none.