Forum Index » GEAR » new nook e-reader 1oz lighter than lightest kindle

Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Thompson
(er0ck) - F

Locale: PNW
new nook nerd-book 1oz lighter than lightest kindle on 05/26/2011 13:48:50 MDT Print View

so, not exactly UL backpacking gear, but these things now weigh less than a small paperback. i'm not sure about you, but sometimes i get bored sitting at camp if i'm solo and used to the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

sure, i go into the woods to get away from that, but reading is a great way to pass the time. in addition i can use the reader to store topo maps (as images i import). it's a bit harder to dig out of my pack (than a paper map), and it'd need a plastic bag in rain, but this helps justify the extra weight.

new Barnes & Noble nook: 6.5" x 5.0" x 0.47", 7.48 oz. (212g), 2GB, 6" Diagonal screen, about $140

Kindle3 wifi:7.5 × 4.8 × 0.34" (190 × 123 × 8.51 mm), 8.5 oz (241 g), 4 GB or 3 GB, 6" Diagonal screen, about $100

Edited by er0ck on 05/26/2011 17:08:44 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: new nook e-reader 1oz lighter than lightest kindle on 05/26/2011 14:05:51 MDT Print View

How long does the battery last?

It would be interesting to have a GPS with that size screen, and ability to store books. Also have a decent camera.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: new nook e-reader 1oz lighter than lightest kindle on 05/26/2011 14:19:02 MDT Print View

Got a Kindle (the small 3G model) for Christmas and I confess I like it. Battery life is weeks provided the wireless is left off and because they now read pdfs, all sorts of handy stuff can be loaded, including scanned guidebook pages, camera and GPS owners manuals, first aid documents and the like. And yes, it's about the weight of one paperback, although it's not as good for firestarting and, uh, other backwoods paper repurposing. The e-ink display is more readable in bright light than any LCD or even AMOLED display I've ever seen.

Cheers,

Rick

Eric Thompson
(er0ck) - F

Re: Re: new nook e-ink gizmo 1oz lighter than lightest kindle on 05/26/2011 14:29:02 MDT Print View

yesterday amazon said the kindle battery life was "a month". today, after b&n announced a 2 month battery life, the same old untouched kindle suddenly has a reported battery life of 2 months. >:-(

i'm sure this depends if you are actually reading or not. most people get a few weeks life out of them when actively reading.

none of them have a gps that i know of, and i'm sure it would/could destroy the battery life if it was in use (similar to existing phones).
but i like your thinking, would be sliiiick

Edited by er0ck on 05/26/2011 17:10:16 MDT.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
new nook e-reader 1oz lighter than lightest kindle on 05/26/2011 14:31:45 MDT Print View

My kids love their Nook. They use it go get on the internet more than a laptop now.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: new nook e-reader 1oz lighter than lightest kindle on 05/26/2011 16:43:38 MDT Print View

Just don't say nook e-reader too fast or you might get slapped by that girl standing next to you.

tyler marlow
(like.sisyphus) - F

Locale: UTAH
new nook on 05/26/2011 18:21:36 MDT Print View

Yeah i was about to post this

I work for B&N and its funny they are actually using the words 'ultra-light' in ads now

That 2 months of battery life is with the WIFI connectivity OFF, Kindle's claim on 1 month is probably based on the with the WIFI ON and theyve changed their marketing to compete with Nooks claims.

All in all i think that ereaders might start having a place in our gear lists now. If only there was a web browser on these it would be an all in one book/mp3 player/blog updater/guidebook

i'd dig it.

Scott Truong
(elf773)

Locale: Vancouver, BC
RE: new nook e-reader 1oz lighter than lightest kindle/ web browser. on 05/26/2011 18:34:07 MDT Print View

I have the Kindle 3 with wi-fi/3G. I like it a lot, but buy it if you like to read. The battery life is more like 3 weeks with intensive reading with wireless turned off.

There IS a web-browser and it is quite decent. Though it doesn't do mulitple page sites. The 3G is free, works well (tried in Canada and Hong Kong) and is good for 100 countries.

Amazon gives you a dedicated email address with purchase, type in "convert" in the subject box, attach a file (PDF, word, etc) and it formats it and sends it to your kindle in like 30 sec. This way, you can zoom said document once formatted.

The screen is the best feature though, no eye strain.

I read a lot, and it excels for travel, eating and reading... basically solo travel.

I have no experience with the nook. Though I'd avoid backlit screens if you actually plan on reading a lot.

And the rudimentary audio player has very very good speakers/sound. Seriously. Drains battery power though.

Edited by elf773 on 05/26/2011 18:34:59 MDT.

John Jensen
(JohnJ) - F

Locale: Orange County, CA
trade-offs on 05/26/2011 18:42:59 MDT Print View

Lots of trade-offs amongst them, perhaps especially with the non-aligned kobo? But FWIW, it's another 1/2 oz lighter:

Nook WiFi and Kobo eReader Touch Edition assault the Amazon Kindle fortress

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Re: new nook nerd-book 1oz lighter than lightest kindle on 05/26/2011 20:44:39 MDT Print View

I have a Kindle3 and mine weighs 7.5 oz on my scale.

I've always taken a reading book with me and the Kindle is lighter, so I'm happy. I like not having to choose a "skinny" book or worry that I'll finish it before the end of the hike. I load it up with a couple of different types of books, plus a magazine or two for some fluff. Usually have a game or two like Scrabble. I made a simple neoprene sleeve for a little protection.

Eric Thompson
(er0ck) - F

no backlight on 05/27/2011 15:21:34 MDT Print View

most e-ink displays do not incorporate a backlight. in addition, it's not the backlight that causes (most of the) eye strain, it's the flicker and (relatively) low contrast of a conventional lcd.

neither the nook touch nor kindle3 i'm talking about here have backlights. this is by design, but makes it difficult ;-) to read in the dark. that's what my headlamp is for, and frankly i wouldn't want the additional weight nor battery impact of a backlight which is not required most of the time.

the kindle is much more established with the advantages that come from a huge userbase. if it's truly 7.5oz, i'd probably end up sticking with that one, even though i like android OS.

i'm getting one, i'll stick it in a ziplock and upload maps to it. haven't decided which one yet.

whoa. the sony one is reportedly ~5.6 oz. the battery life looks like it suffers on the lighter ones, but i think 2 weeks will be fine for most purposes. even on longer hikes i'd think i'd have a re-supply and charge opportunity prior to two weeks!

Edited by er0ck on 05/27/2011 15:25:49 MDT.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: new nook nerd-book 1oz lighter than lightest kindle on 05/27/2011 16:08:23 MDT Print View

I wish these smaller readers had the screen resolution of the bigger models.

Richard Barish
(rdbarish) - F

Locale: New Mexico
And I wish on 05/27/2011 22:45:15 MDT Print View

that these readers would make availabe in e-form the kind of books I want when I am out in nature - field guides. As soon as they do, I'm in.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: new nook nerd-book 1oz lighter than lightest kindle on 05/28/2011 05:34:58 MDT Print View

Has anyone tried loading topo maps (like from Nat Geo's TOPO! software) onto an e-reader. I've been thinking along these lines myself (could save a fair amount of weight on a thru-hike between topos and multiple guide books now at your fingertips).

I just don't know of the resolution is decent enough to read a grayscale topo map of confidently.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: new nook nerd-book 1oz lighter than lightest kindle on 05/28/2011 07:57:27 MDT Print View

What file type would you use for a topo on the e-reader (guessing .pdf)? I wouldn't think it would accept .tif.

Edited by jshann on 05/28/2011 10:14:57 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: new nook nerd-book 1oz lighter than lightest kindle on 05/28/2011 09:09:09 MDT Print View

These e-readers are too limited in their applications. I don't see them being around in 5 years with the advent of the tablet computer.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Re: new nook nerd-book 1oz lighter than lightest kindle on 05/28/2011 10:27:22 MDT Print View

Hi Dustin,

I just tried an experiment, and it seems to work.

1. Exported a tiff from Topo! in greyscale.
2. Opened in Illustrator and saved as an .ai file.
3. Exported to pdf
4. Copied to Kindle

The resulting map when zoomed is quite readable--good enough for navigation. I might turn off the 3D shading next time to better delineate the vegetation boundaries.

So, yes and yes--you can export from Topo! and the map can be read on a Kindle. A year from now we'll be discussing color E-ink displays--if they don't suck they'll be easier to read than monochrome but in the meantime there are enough steps in the greyscale to make today's version viable.

Cheers,

Rick

Eric Thompson
(er0ck) - F

Re: Re: new nook nerd-book 1oz lighter than lightest kindle on 05/28/2011 13:21:27 MDT Print View

"These e-readers are too limited in their applications. I don't see them being around in 5 years with the advent of the tablet computer."

it seems you might not understand the differences/advantages btwn an e-reader and a tablet. and/or what does the technology we use today have to do with what will be applicable or useful in 5 years?

Brett Ayer
(bfayer)

Locale: Virginia
Tablets replacing E-Readers on 05/28/2011 16:34:25 MDT Print View

Actually it will be the other way around. The tablets will become outdated when the e-readers start becoming more advanced. The new Nook is a step in the right direction.

E-readers are way cheaper than tablets.

E-readers have much longer battery life.

E-readers are way lighter (although even lighter would be nice)

E-readers have no monthly service charge.

Example:

Kindle WIFI = $139, battery life at least 3 weeks of daily use.
I-pad WIFI = $499 (cheapest one), 10 hours max.

I have both a I-Pad and a Kindle and I find my self taking the Kindle with me way more often than the I-pad. The I-pad is better for games and movies however.

Keep the battery life of the kindle, add color, a touch screen, a gps, and my I-Pad will become a overpriced digital picture frame :)

The biggest issue e-readers need to overcome is the proprietary formats. Once e-book formats are standardized and universal, I believe e-readers will take off big time.

For example my daughter in high school hauls around about 25 pounds of text books, that together cost a few hundred dollars. It would be way less expensive to give her an e-reader and have all the text books loaded on at the beginning of the school year. There is no way the school could afford to get everyone I-Pads.

I think the e-reader/tablet war will be like the Beta/VHS war, in this case I think the e-reader is the VHS. Only time will tell.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Tablets replacing E-Readers on 05/28/2011 16:44:09 MDT Print View

"E-readers have no monthly service charge."

Neither does an iPad unless you WANT it to.

"Keep the battery life of the kindle, add color, a touch screen, a gps, and my I-Pad will become a overpriced digital picture frame :)"

Add all that to a kindle, and you've got an iPad. I don't believe you can add all that and keep the battery life, or the lightness, of current e-readers.

"There is no way the school could afford to get everyone I-Pads."

Ahem.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/05/education/05tablets.html?_r=1

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2011/05/15/mass_school_is_hooked_on_the_ipad/

http://mashable.com/2011/01/05/schools-ipad/

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Tablets replacing E-Readers on 05/28/2011 16:47:49 MDT Print View

Add a low power e-ink kind of screen to consumer tablets and the advantage of dedicated ebook readers becomes close to nil. Price excepted.

Ismail Faruqi
(ismailfaruqi) - F
e-reader on 05/29/2011 02:05:28 MDT Print View

IMO e-Reader is far more superior than tablet if the books you want to read is OK in B&W. However that's not the case with photography books (for me)... I like to pass time by reading and applying photography techniques and reading those books in color display is 1000x more enjoyable.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Tablets replacing E-Readers on 05/29/2011 05:13:19 MDT Print View

What Doug said. All those features will increase price/weight and lower battery life.

John Jensen
(JohnJ) - F

Locale: Orange County, CA
original nook on 05/29/2011 08:32:19 MDT Print View

As an aside, I recently bought an original Nook (refurb, $90). It's working pretty well for me, but one thing I really wish I had was zoom on PDF. Not sure which of the newer ones have that, but on mine reading good old books from google's free archive makes for a little eye strain.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Re: original nook on 05/29/2011 09:43:49 MDT Print View

Hi John,

Kindle does zoom on PDFs, but I don't know about the Nook.

Cheers,

Rick

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Re: nook touch (new nook) pdf rendering (zoom) on 06/02/2011 20:12:18 MDT Print View

<del></del>

Edited by asdzxc57 on 01/29/2012 13:18:59 MST.

Eric Thompson
(er0ck) - F

no zoom :-( on 06/02/2011 20:18:22 MDT Print View

no pdf zoom can and will be a detriment to reading maps in some cases

david delabaere
(davidvcd) - M

Locale: Northern VA
Sony Reader on 06/03/2011 04:17:51 MDT Print View

I chose the sony prrs350 ereader when I lost my previous ereader.
just weighed it at 5.4oz. With the case with integrated light + rechargeable 2aaa it weighs 10oz total , battery life on the light last easily over ten thousand pages for me (= not an issue).
Compared to the other ereaders, it only has a 5in screen but it is the lightest and most pocketable ereader.
It has the latest pearl display so the refresh is as fast as anything available out there.
Battery life should be measured in page turns (refresh) and with all the wireless stuff turned off you all can read several novels before recharging.
The sony accepts pdf, epub, and you can easily convert purchases from amazon (kindle format).

The touch screen on the sony isnt as nice

Compared to tablets ( I had the ipad, currently have the ipad2 and an asus transformer - get tablets with IPS screens), well you can't. They have different purposes for the most part.Another thing not mentioned is the difference in weight.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Sony Reader on 06/03/2011 07:57:30 MDT Print View

ipod touch

Mike S
(MikeyLXT) - F

Locale: Maryland
Re: Re: Sony Reader on 06/03/2011 08:32:54 MDT Print View

I just got my wife the Kindle 3 and its great to read on. Much easier to read on then any tablet I have picked up.

As far as tablets go...they cost more or just as much as a laptop. I dont see myself ever getting a tablet when I can get a laptop for less. Plus I carry an android phone if i ever need some quick browsing etc...

Eric Thompson
(er0ck) - F

i got a sony prs 350 on 06/16/2011 14:58:18 MDT Print View

i got a sony prs 350 on ebay for just over $100 delivered. nice!

it's fantasticly light and small. will easily fit in the side pocket of my pack where i typically keep my maps (hopefully i won't lose it).

i took a screenshot from mytopo from kyle's wenthiking.com printed it to pdf and pushed it to the sony reader. it zooms and pans great!
i was afraid i'd have to put the various pieces of maps on different pages. i'm sure i'll do that for large maps, but for just one hike i'm sure i'll just create a giant pdf "page" and zoom/pan around.

only issue i see is lack of color (hard to distinguish water), but we knew that already.

sony prs 350 (pocket edition) eReader
AA battery for scale.

i'm psyched.

Edited by er0ck on 06/16/2011 15:07:15 MDT.

J. Lopes
(Jay_NJ) - F
kindle <3 on 06/16/2011 17:40:49 MDT Print View

I just recently purchased the kindle (no ads) wifi edition and weighed it at 7.7 ounces. I loaded a few e-books in mobi format that really look great in direct sunlight, etc.. I also loaded the thru-hikers guide pdf and two maps I have in pdf format and they both look clear and you can zoom in on them if needed.

I have a cellphone that I pay a stupidly high fee on for the internet, games, blah..... the e-reader give me simplicity and actually weighs less then the paperback I am currently reading. I think I will bring it on my next 2-3 day trip and see how durable it is in a ziplock bag in my pack.

Edited by Jay_NJ on 06/16/2011 17:43:17 MDT.

Joshua Stillwell
(bearjosh) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Lightweight Case for E-reader? on 11/29/2011 01:09:49 MST Print View

Hey sorry to bump this thread, but I'm picking up the new Nook Simple Touch and was excited to take it out backpacking next spring. I was wondering what you guys thought would be the best kind of lightweight case for these e-readers? Just a neoprene sleeve/nothing/a lightweight hard case? I kinda don't know the direction to go on a lightweight case for the e-reader cuz I would just throw the e-reader in my backpack and I'm a little afraid of doing that as it might get broken that way. I know you guys always have the best solutions, so I wanted to tap that creative side. Thanks!

Arno Minner
(arno5) - F

Locale: Bavarian Alps
bubble wrap on 11/29/2011 01:27:26 MST Print View

I protect my Nook with a bubble wrap envelope. They last several month and just add the right amount of protection without adding to much bulk, are free and weigh next to nothing.

When you take your Nook on trips with cooler temperatures (aprox <10°C), you have to warm it before switching it on - else you get a "Can't switch on because battery is empty" message or it doesn't switch on at all. At least this is the case with my Simple Touch reader. Apparently they use a very thin Lipo battery inside that is very sensitive to temperature.
Once switched on it keeps running, even when cooling down - but I didn't use it in very cold conditions yet.

Andy Mullaly
(apmullaly) - F
topo maps as pdfs on 11/29/2011 11:03:49 MST Print View

You can download almost every USGS topo map for free from their website as a pdf. I do this and cut out smaller sections to print for dayhikes. It would be really useful to be able to carry the entire map on a reader. The only downside would be if you were truly lost and needed to look at larger areas to rule out where you weren't, but nobody on this site would ever get that lost, would they? ;-)

Eric Thompson
(er0ck) - F

good idea on 11/29/2011 11:45:27 MST Print View

good idea andy!

i tend to take screenshots from mappingsupport.com (i prefer mytopo in most cases to usgs), and then print small-ish pdf pages from those (otherwise they are slow to load in my sony e-reader).

i have yet to fully figure out how to create multiple pages of my intended hike in one pdf doc, but that's what i'll try to do next time...

Rutherford Platt
(tunaboy999) - F

Locale: Mid Atlantic
New Kindle = 5.98 oz on 11/29/2011 11:57:53 MST Print View

The new basic kindle is now down to 5.98 oz.

Adding touchscreens, keyboards, 3g, etc. adds a little weight.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: good idea on 11/29/2011 12:23:02 MST Print View

Eric, it may be easiest to make multiple copies of the original pdf file, crop each for each day and then recombine those into one pdf file using free software.

Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
Someone's got to say it ... on 11/29/2011 12:31:29 MST Print View

Okay, someone has to bring up smartphones as an alternative in this thread, so it might as well be me ... :-)

Seriously, I certainly agree that dedicated eReader hardware has its place in normal life, but backpacking? Give me the best multi-function device. Since I already also want to carry a cell phone and a camera and maybe a GPS, why not combine these functions along with book reader, internet access, MP3 player ... you've likely seen this list of funtionality before, but perhaps worth repeating.

A modern smartphone is a pocket computer that happens to also function as a phone. The suite of apps available on it is likely to beat out what any dedicated reader hardware can do, indeed until these are supplanted by more general purpose tablets. And then a smartphone with a decent screen is going to be a better choice for backpacking due to the overall size, weight, and perhaps durability on trail issues.

My Droid X worked great on the CDT for all of these things, to include as a book reader in the last month or so when nights got pretty long (limited daylight hours). It has a 4.3" screen, so really not a bad book reading experience IMO. But I'm also content to read on the 3.2" screen on my new phone, one I just got because Verizon charges me too much to use my Droid X at home (!).

So when you're thinking about a book reading device, do think "multi-function device" and consider going the smart phone (or even the smaller-variant tablet) route.

Eric Thompson
(er0ck) - F

smart phone vs. e-reader on 11/29/2011 12:57:18 MST Print View

i believe we covered some of this previously in the thread.

two words: battery life

otherwise i'd totally agree with you,and it's a good point.
on trips of two days or less i just bring my cell phone

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
battery on 11/29/2011 13:00:35 MST Print View

you can buy very cheap smartphone powerpacks at deal extreme ...

whether its worth the weight is a different question

i usually carry an extra power pack when my cell phone is my sole means of calling in help ... it weights < 1.5 oz .. and cost < 10$

Eric Thompson
(er0ck) - F

battery life per weight on 11/29/2011 13:20:25 MST Print View

ah. i guess i should have qualified battery life.

my e-reader weighs ~5.5oz and the battery lasts 3 weeks

Edited by er0ck on 11/29/2011 13:22:13 MST.

Bradley Danyluk
(dasbin) - MLife
Battery Life on 11/29/2011 13:26:23 MST Print View

Regarding the Kindle's claimed month-long battery life...

"No battery anxiety - read for up to one month on a single charge with wireless off and a half hour of reading per day."

Do some basic math from their statement and you end up with 15 hours, give or take. That's only 5 hours more than an iPad.

Rutherford Platt
(tunaboy999) - F

Re: Someone's got to say it ... on 11/29/2011 14:01:21 MST Print View

I totally agree that the smartphone is a more useful device overall.

However, when I'm in the backcountry I like to detach from my LCD-dominated life. E-readers are simple and uncluttered and give a book-like experience at a lower weight.

As e-readers approach magazine weight they will be very tempting for solo trips.

(re-battery life: as an owner of both a Kindle and iPad, there is no comparison in the battery life department. Kindle wins by a long shot)

Edited by tunaboy999 on 11/29/2011 14:02:28 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Someone's got to say it ... on 11/29/2011 14:05:44 MST Print View

"As e-readers approach magazine weight they will be very tempting for solo trips."

I thought e-readers already approached magazine weight - or are as light or lighter than magazines. I don't have one and haven't researched them, so I don't know. Are they not there yet?

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: battery life per weight on 11/29/2011 14:22:11 MST Print View

ah. i guess i should have qualified battery life.

my e-reader weighs ~5.5oz and the battery lasts 3 weeks

What does that mean? There's a big difference between leaving it on the entire time while flipping pages every minute or two or the other 'test' of flipping five pages real quick and then leaving it turned off for the rest of the three weeks. The latter is what I see quoted all too often when the former is really what matters.

Rutherford Platt
(tunaboy999) - F

Re: Re: Re: Someone's got to say it ... on 11/29/2011 14:22:22 MST Print View

Yeah, I suppose they have approached magazine weight but not reached it.

e-readers are in the 6-9 oz range.
magazines are closer to 4 oz.

Henry Blake
(Dragon) - F

Locale: Minnesota
Several Magazines on 11/30/2011 00:10:36 MST Print View

As soon as you have several magazines on the reader for any (single) multiday backpacking trip, you're going to be way lighter with the e-reader, evewn if you don't find time to read all the magazines.

Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
re: smart phone vs. e-reader on 11/30/2011 01:27:38 MST Print View

Eric said:
"two words: battery life
otherwise i'd totally agree with you,and it's a good point.
on trips of two days or less i just bring my cell phone"

I used my Droid X on a 5 month trip this year, and battery life was not an issue. I just carried two spare batteries, made sure all three were charged each time I'd leave a trail town, sit next to a wall plug when eating in a diner, etc --- no problem. No solar charger this trip.

I acknowledge that it depends on a person's backcountry 'style' --- less hiking and more camping would mean more time to sit and use the device and potentially run down the battery(s). But at just over an ounce per battery, not a really big hit there, and again --- I would likely be carrying a cell phone anyway, so ... !

I'm not trying to knock eReaders like the Nook or Kindle; it's just that for me personally a device that's primarily designed to read books isn't the optimal thing to carry on a backpacking trip --- not when I can get a "pretty good" reading experience with a more generally useful device.

I should also acknowledge that I rarely read when backpacking --- do my camp chores and then sleep. So perhaps my comments are out of place for this particular thread ... though I do read a fair bit on my phone in other contexts (in trail towns sometimes, and even at or around home).
In any event, I definitely don't mean to lead the discussion off track or disparage folks who see things differently!

Eric Thompson
(er0ck) - F

trail maps on 11/30/2011 09:38:09 MST Print View

i use mine for trail maps, as well as books.

last winter i was out in the gorge and lost in the snow. the reader saved me (time) as my phone battery had died overnight when i thought i turned it off, but it decided better for me.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Re: battery life per weight on 11/30/2011 10:19:58 MST Print View

"What does that mean? There's a big difference between leaving it on the entire time while flipping pages every minute or two or the other 'test' of flipping five pages real quick and then leaving it turned off for the rest of the three weeks. The latter is what I see quoted all too often when the former is really what matters.

At least with the Kindle, technically it's only "on" when the page is being turned or a file being accessed. There's no display power draw in between.

What sucks power in the Kindle is the wireless. If left on, it will drain the battery in two or three days. FWIW the Kindle can be field-recharged with a Solio unit.

Cheers,

Rick

spelt the enigmatic
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
readers on 11/30/2011 10:41:49 MST Print View

I like where I see the e-readers heading. In 2-3 years they will likely have all the features I'm interested in and I'll finally invest in one.