Forum Index » GEAR » Montbell UL Down Inner Jacket

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan C
(radio_guy) - MLife

Locale: OH & AK
Leaky feathers? on 05/25/2011 23:21:28 MDT Print View

I have an Alpine Light parka and it does not leak feathers (30D fabric helps). A while back I saw some UL down inner pants. They leaked feathers like crazy. My Rab Microlight vest is very warm but leaks feathers like crazy too.

After some use, how bad does the UL down inner jacket leak feathers?

simon hackett
(minimalgear) - F

Locale: UK
leaking feathers on 05/26/2011 01:27:44 MDT Print View

Glad someone else mentioned this, I have the pants and inner jacket and always end up looking like a plucked chicken after sleeping in them. As a UK hiker I'm currently saving up for the PHD minim ultra pullover and minumus pants.

John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

Locale: PNW
Feathered Friends Daybreak Jacket on 05/26/2011 08:39:45 MDT Print View

IMHO I'd pick up the Daybreak Jacket over the Montbell UL Down Inner Jacket. It weighs a tad more, but you get 3.1 oz fill of 850 down for $199. That's a full ounce more. That adds a lot of warmth. They advertise the jacket at 7.5 oz. I weighed 2 mediums in the store and they both weighed 8.3 oz.
Montbell advertises their jacket at 7.3 oz with 2.0 oz of 800 fill. I don't know if their advertised weight is correct.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Re: Feathered Friends Daybreak Jacket on 05/26/2011 10:30:42 MDT Print View

>> IMHO I'd pick up the Daybreak Jacket over the Montbell UL Down Inner Jacket.

I would love a Daybreak but it's more than I want to spend. I have a FF bag that I love and I like the company but their "unisex" jackets are sized for men. To make it fit me, it would mean custom sizing, which FF will do, but it's annoying to have to pay a premium considering I can wear "normal" women's sizes.

I'm just looking for something for those 35-40 degree spring/fall evenings at camp. The nano puff is just on the border; I'd like it to be a tad warmer but don't want it to weigh any more since it spends most of the time in my pack. I did look at the WM and FF jackets but the MB Inner jacket is less than half the price.

Anyway, I ordered one and will check it out. I appreciate all the feedback.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Reidveldt's down "sweaters" reviews on 05/26/2011 12:00:48 MDT Print View

Will Reitveldt's extensive review of light down jackets (or "sweaters") is a great comparison tool when shopping for this category of clothing. Maybe he could do a follow-up of light synthetic jackets.

It's apparent that a light shelled, sewn-thru insulated jacket or pullover has become a necessity for many backpacking trips. Most of us have learned that this type of (shelled) insulation is lighter and far more compressable than pile/fleece jackets of the same warmth.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Leaky feathers? on 05/26/2011 15:36:54 MDT Print View

Interesting, after using mu UL Down Inner for well over a hundred nights, I don't think I have ever seen a feather? I do have some sleeping bags and quilts that lose a feather every now and then, but not the jacket.

William Johnsen
(sixoclocknews) - F
Re: daybreak on 05/26/2011 16:50:44 MDT Print View

I'll echo what John said and recommend anyone check out the FF Daybreak. I know the OP isn't going to, but for anyone else following the thread. The biggest difference for me is the cut. The MB was sized small and boxy. The Daybreak has a more efficient cut which helps keep the weight down and insulate better (in addition to the extra down). I had a Men's Medium (small was too small) MB Down Inner that weighed 7.2oz and the size small FF Daybreak I got weighs 7.9oz (and has zippered hand pockets, cinch cord at the waist and a 2 way YKK vislon zipper).