Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Bob Marshall end of june?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ronald Groth
(rgfooter) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Bob Marshall end of june? on 05/24/2011 17:05:04 MDT Print View

A local hiking group here in WI is planning at trip to the Bob in end of June. Is this too early? I do not mind some snow, but an not interested in post holing for hours. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Ben Smith
(goosefeet) - MLife

Locale: Georgia
Re: Bob Marshall end of june? on 05/24/2011 17:52:19 MDT Print View

I was out there about 9 days ago, and we were on snowshoes about 2/3 of the time. The consensus in our group was that most of the trails should be clear by late June. There will still be snow on a good bit of the higher slopes, but it shouldn't be much of an issue.

glenn fleagle
(fiddleheadpa) - F

Locale: Thailand
Fords could be tough on 05/24/2011 18:25:01 MDT Print View

I did the "Bob" in June 2002.
No snow but the fords were very tough.
In fact, the man didn't want us going in there but we told him we were very experienced and he let us.
However, we had a few fords that were more than waist deep that were quite scary.
The Great Wall portion was mostly all snow covered.

I have a picture of it somewhere.

Gabe P
(Gabe) - MLife
Bob on 05/25/2011 14:39:31 MDT Print View

Glen,

I'd love to see the picture of the Great Wall covered in snow if you ever find it. I've been thinking about getting out into the Bob lately, probably starting from Holland Lake heading out near Big Salmon Lake and then to the Great Wall.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
Bob in June on 05/25/2011 14:55:08 MDT Print View

Rivers and streams should be pretty huge at the end of this June, moreso than usual as our massive snowpack is taking its time to melt off.

Probably lots of snow up high in shaded spots at the end of June, especially in the SW corner (Upper Holland Lake, etc). Stuff around the continental divide should be drier.

The mosquitos should be pretty ridiculous this year, too.

Ronald Groth
(rgfooter) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
re:"Bob Marshall end of june?" on 05/29/2011 20:46:51 MDT Print View

Thanks for the info, i think I will stay closer to home and leave montana until aug.

Cyrus Dietz
(CyCalvin)

Locale: Midwest
Bob at end of June on 06/06/2011 15:44:34 MDT Print View

I was in the Bob at the end of June last year. Trails were great albeit empty with the exception of a few CDT thru hikers and a couple pack strings stocking outfitter camps. Snow could be found at the top of the passes and in the shadows of the Chinese Wall. Rivers and streams were normally around knee height but the white river was around waist hight once or twice. I will take early summer weather over August weather and crowds any year.
That said this year may well be a tuff one for backcountry travel.