NEMO Bivy vs. TarpTent
Display Avatars Sort By:
Erik Dietz
(erikdtz)

Locale: Los Angeles
NEMO Bivy vs. TarpTent on 05/24/2011 01:23:59 MDT Print View

I am looking for some alternative opinions as I am going kinda crazy trying to figure out which one to purchase.

As of right now I don't use trekking poles, which I'm not opposed to but they will add at a minimum 9-10 oz to my base weight if I buy the TarpTent Contrail or Sublite. However, both these tents have more headroom and space then the NEMO Gogo Elite (along with being about half the price).

TarpTent Contrail: 24.5 oz (does not include trekking pole weight or alternative 2 oz tent pole)

TarpTent Sublite: 19.5 oz (weight does not include trekking poles or alternative 5 oz tent poles)

NEMO Gogo Elite: 23 oz (weight includes ultralight pump, stuff sack, repair kit and stakes)

I'm getting ready to do the JMT from Cottonwood Lakes Trail, side trip to Whitney, and then onto Happy Isles. I'll be posting my gear list soon so it can be picked apart and I can eliminate all that's not needed.

carl becker
(carlbecker) - F

Locale: Northern Virginia
Re: NEMO Bivy vs. TarpTent on 05/24/2011 05:22:42 MDT Print View

I am very happy with my TT Sublite and GG poles but have not used it in long heavy rain, it does well in Texas wind though. I have a MLD Solomid for foul weather. The Sublite Sil seems a better choice for heavy rain and one shelter. I would not be happy with less room.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
NEMO Bivy vs. TarpTent on 05/24/2011 08:59:58 MDT Print View

Avoid the optional poles with the TT's and use trekking poles.

If those were my choices, I would consider the GoGo Elite only if I were to be camping on highly exposed areas where high wind could be an issue. It's low profile should work wonders in that environment. For all other conditions, I would look at the TT's. Although I use trekking poles.

Michael Duke
(mpd1690) - F
Re: on 05/24/2011 09:13:23 MDT Print View

I had the Nemo Gogo Ex. Good bivy/tent and packed small but I really wanted the added head room. I picked up a TT Moment and really like it. The air tube is a pretty awesome system though.

Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F
NEMO Bivy vs. TarpTent on 05/24/2011 09:37:29 MDT Print View

I ordered a Nemo gogo a while back.
Set it up in the living room, slithered in and sent it back.

Neat tent, if you sleep like you are in a coffin, but I move a lot, side sleep, curl up and figured I would be hitting the walls all the time. Its very tight.

If you are going for SUL, opt for a cuben tarp and a M50 bivy.
That should weigh about 10 oz.

Other than that, a tarptent, lightheart etc.

Edited by tammons on 05/24/2011 09:39:03 MDT.

Erik Dietz
(erikdtz)

Locale: Los Angeles
Thanks! on 05/24/2011 11:35:31 MDT Print View

I do move quite a bit when I sleep AND I sleep on my side, curled up in a little ball haha. Glad to know that the NEMO is maybe too narrow for a side sleeper.

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Exactly how I felt Troy on 05/24/2011 12:32:24 MDT Print View

I also bought a NEMO Gogo last year and setup in my living room and sent back for the same reasons. Tarp is a MUCH better approach. More room without the added weight.

Thankfully I found this website and have seen the light!

Edited by randalmartin on 05/24/2011 12:33:14 MDT.

Ron Bishop
(Compass) - MLife

Locale: Ontario
Re: NEMO Bivy vs. TarpTent on 07/09/2011 06:32:34 MDT Print View

Sorry this post is a few weeks late. I have no experience with the NEMO Gogo Elite or the TT Contrail, but I do know that NEMO makes a quality product, as I have owned 2 of their tents in the past. However, for more space and greater flexibility for setup, I prefer an ultralight tarp and bivy.

Here is my sleep system. It weighs 3 pounds. Hope this provides you with other options.

Sleeping Pad:
TAR ProLite Small, 11 oz.

Sleeping Bag:
MontBell UL SS Down Hugger 5, 16 oz.

Bivy:
MLD Superlight, 5 oz.

Shelter:
GG SpinnTwinn Tarp, 8 oz.

Trekking Poles (2)
GG LT4, 8 oz.

Good Luck,
Ron B

Edited by Compass on 07/11/2011 11:20:55 MDT.