Forum Index » Post-Trip Reports » Northern Lost Creek Wilderness

Display Avatars Sort By:
Christopher Wilke
(wilke7000)

Locale: Colorado
Northern Lost Creek Wilderness on 05/23/2011 22:57:58 MDT Print View

A few pictures from my trip this past weekend in Lost Creek. The kids got dropped off and Grandma and Grandpa's and my wife and I got to go play in the wilderness. Our original route got scraped after the drifts got to 4-5ft around 11,000ft on the Brookside McCurdy trail.

LCW 1

The snow was still manageable here but it got much deeper. We headed back down and camped about half way to the trailhead. The next day we headed out towards the other side of the loop on the Payne Creek trail. Significantly less snow over there and blue skies made for a great day.

We did see some snow but it was minimal. Luckily, a friendly bear broke trail for us (at least I think that's what these tracks are).

Soaking it all in.

We camped down in Craig's Meadow which would be pretty buggy in the summer but was pleasant this time of year.

Even though we had to change our original plans, the trip was still excellent. The weather was much better than predicted throughout the week. It did look like north facing slopes still had a decent amount of snow above about 9,500ft so it may be a little bit before a lot of the passes are clear. Everything else was pretty dry. No complaint's about a few days in the wilderness!