Forum Index » Gear Lists » JMT July-August Gear List

Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Levine
(Trout) - F

Locale: Long Beach
JMT July-August Gear List on 05/22/2011 17:26:07 MDT Print View

This is my first transition to UL, and my first long trek. Please let me know what you think, what I can ditch, what I need to add especially. Also there are a few items I'm looking into purchasing that I've marked with yellow. I'd LOVE if someone could improve upon those or show me options before I end up buying them. A few items have no weight (Dr bronners) because I havent yet purchased & re-bagged them. A few items have no weight (SPOT) because I'm still debating them. Please ignore unweighed items.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Asw1L5H29SIQdG81akpnOTNPeFM3WXp6blMwVkVwT2c&hl=en_US

Do you think a down vest is too little insulation? I tend to run pretty hot. Maybe a Montbell jacket instead, any recommendations? I also have the option of purchasing an arcteryx alpha lt hoody (13.2oz) for around $100. hmmm

Edited by Trout on 05/22/2011 17:33:49 MDT.

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
Re: JMT July-August Gear List on 05/22/2011 17:51:31 MDT Print View

The Swift is a bit heavy. Do you need that much space and comfort?

NeoAir regular at 14oz is worth questioning. Could you get a short (9oz)? The Exped Synth UL7 is all the rage the NeoAir was last year, if you need a regular-length mat.

Can you get by with 1L of water? You might want a 2L platy, even if you only use it for dinner.

MSR towel can be nixed. If you need a towel, look at the Lightload towel that zPacks sells - .5oz. Double-use as a bandana.

Only one pair of socks? I like sleeping socks, especially on a longer hike.

Nix the bandana. Or use it as a towel. Either or.

No sunglasses?

Even with a bandana, you might want more sun protection. I know I do.

You have no insulation for being on the move. I hope that rain jacket is breathable? If not, a wind shirt will do.

No gloves. No poles.

Whether or not you are comfortable with just a vest is a personal choice. For me, I spend very little time in camp - I set up, make dinner, and then I'm in my quilt. I'm willing to suffer a little bit at those times, so SUL insulation works for me, but others get cold quickly and spend more time around camp.

REI has BearVaults and Steripens on sale for excellent prices right now.

Michael Levine
(Trout) - F

review #1 on 05/23/2011 09:02:08 MDT Print View

Changed to reflect recommendations, albeit without weights for the new items.

I'll weigh the swift when it comes in, and might take away the metal stays.

The NeoAir small it is I think. I'm just debating if having to set my feet and head up every night is worth it when I toss and turn. I guess you learn to live with it.

You're right. I'll nab an extra water bottle.

Do you use a bandana to dry off? I was thinking of using mine like a wash cloth.

I'll add some sleep socks.

I'll add some sunglasses.

I'll add a good hat I think.

I'll look into a windshirt. The rain jacket is pretty beathable from the reviews, but I'll see if it's something I'll want to wear all the time. I've heard it's a bit dainty, so maybe a windshirt will be required.

I might add some light gloves. I'm debating poles or no poles. I figure I could use them with a tarp and that'd be helpful, also on big climbs/descents, hmmm.

I wish I knew how much time I spent in camp, and if a vest was enough. I'll have to field test.

Thanks for the REI tip.

Is aquamira enough to filter water? I've heard yes, and I've heard people use two filters. Still trying to figure that out.

Thank you so very much for the Stephan. That helped me figure out a few things, and question some others!

Edited by Trout on 05/23/2011 09:15:45 MDT.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: review #1 on 05/23/2011 11:20:12 MDT Print View

I think the Swift will ended up lighter than what you listed. I forget exactly what mine weighs, but definitely a few ounces lighter and includes the stays and hip belt with pockets. Seems like a fine choice for a trip that requires a bear canister. I'm also planning on using it for the JMT this summer. It does have quite a bit of volume that you might not need though.

I'd make sure the small neoair works for you. I toss and turn a lot as well and find it hard to get comfortable with the thicker pads that aren't full length even when propping up my feet with my pack and such. I ended up getting the 1" thick small prolite instead and think it's more comfortable overall.

Michael Levine
(Trout) - F

yup on 05/23/2011 11:44:00 MDT Print View

I'll definitely weigh it and update.

Also what do you think of a small neoair + a cut z-lite? I'm debating cutting one to put in my backpack pad slot, and shoving my feet in there at night. I dont know if that'd do the trick. I might just get a full peak lite ac http://pacoutdoor.com/sleeping-pads/view/peak-elite-ac

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
Re: review #1 on 05/23/2011 11:58:18 MDT Print View

A small/torso pad is worth mulling over, but equally fine to NOT choose it. What's worth more, a few ounces on your back or a good night's sleep? Pad and Bag, perhaps more than anything else, are worth making weight sacrifices for IMO. Maybe you learn you can get by, maybe you can't.

Lately I've been using my LightLoad towel to do everything I did with a bandana. It absorbs more water, rings out better, and dries faster. I'm a bit concerned about the durability, but at $2 a pop, I'm willing to live with it.

"Pretty breathable" is a questionable term from reviews. Some say GoreTex is "pretty breathable" but I'd never want to use a GoreTex jacket at 40-50ยบ! A good wind jacket is a UL hiker's dream for warmth on the move.

As you know, AquaMira is questionable. Some are fine to live with that, but others carry a second filter. I love my SteriPEN for fresh natural tasting water - I can taste all the chemicals and I stay better hydrated without them. You need to decide what works best for you, after a certain point of reading you'll find there are several good choices.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: yup on 05/24/2011 12:24:01 MDT Print View

"Also what do you think of a small neoair + a cut z-lite?"

I cut 6 panels off my z-lite to use under my feet while sleeping and to put in the Swifts's pad slot. It fit nicely in the slot (and I think 8 panels would also fit in the slot). When I use in conjunction with a small neoair there was still a big drop off for my feet and I didn't like it, but when I used with the prolite it was pretty comfortable for me. Only problem is, when I combine the weight of the prolite and z-lite, I'm back to having a 17oz pad, so I debate whether or not to just bring my large neoair, which would be more comfortable. I guess the advantages of the prolite/z-lite combo is that the z-lite makes a more comfortable virtual frame for the Swift than the neoair would and the combo is more durable....even if the prolite leaked, I'd still have 6 panels of z-lite as a backup.

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Water on 05/25/2011 18:20:58 MDT Print View

I would suggest you do what you originally had on your list regarding water: 1 Liter Platy + Soda Bottle (make sure it is a wide mouth). I use the soda bottle all day as I drink and then if I need more in camp I fill the Platy. Usually, the Platy is just rolled up in my pack. It's good for camp and cooking to have extra water.

I find 2L bags too cumbersome. Not only that, it's more difficult to treat 2 Liters since most treatment methods are geared towards 1 Liter. The JMT is pretty amazing for the amount of water. There are a few spots where you have to have a bit more but you will be fine with 1L most of the time. Water is heavy to lug from one source to the next.