Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Anybody own the New Exped Synmat UL7?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan McCabe
(3Tree) - MLife
Instaflator adapted... on 06/15/2011 18:19:13 MDT Print View

FWIW, I found a piece of tygon tubing that works great with an Instaflator and the UL7... outer diameter 7/8 inches, and inner diameter I think was 5/8 inches. It fits in the Exped snug and stays there while inflating. Works like a charm!

Sean B
(SeanBa) - F
Just a few numbers on 06/15/2011 23:42:00 MDT Print View

I'm also in the market and I noticed a few things:

The Synmat UL 7 uses 20 denier nylon, the NeoAir uses 30 denier nylon. This should give the NeoAir the advantage in puncture protection. With either pads I bet the early air leaks have more to do with manuf quality control then shorter then expected service life.

The Synmat UL 7 has a 2 year warranty, the NeoAir has a lifetime warranty. It sounds like the UL 7 is a great pad but the short warranty is a bit concerning.

Justin R
(5150Bronco) - F

Locale: Bay Area, Ca.
Re: Re: why seam seal? on 06/16/2011 00:24:09 MDT Print View

I see. that is really good idea. would you just do this in general?

Jack Elliott
(JackElliott) - F

Locale: Bend, Oregon, USA
Instaflator > Exped: Yep, Ryan got it Right on 06/01/2012 09:11:08 MDT Print View

Commenting here on Ryan's original opening post for this thread:

Ryan mentioned using Tygon tubing, but I thought I try something a bit more common, so I picked up a chunk of 7/8'' o.d. (about 22mm, I don't know what sizes are common in metric) vinyl tubing from my local friendly hardware store, and it works quite nicely to adapt the Instaflator to work with the Exped's air inlet.

My chunk of tubing was kinda flattened into an oval cross-section, as it had been taken from the innermost wrap of a nearly empty reel, so I pitched a 2'' chunk into boiling water for a few minutes to let it relax back into shape.

The Instaflator's outlet fits snugly inside the tubing, and the tubing's o.d. is just right to snug tightly into the mattress's inlet.

Easy as cake. Thanks, Ryan!

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
just bought a new UL7 ugh! on 10/13/2012 17:48:43 MDT Print View

It weighs 16.8 ounces instead of 16.2!

NOOooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!!!!.....

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: just bought a new UL7 ugh! on 10/13/2012 19:31:36 MDT Print View

Did you blow it up first, let it deflate, and then weigh it?

Mine was right at 16 oz.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Re: Re: just bought a new UL7 ugh! on 10/13/2012 19:35:27 MDT Print View

I just unpackaged it and weighed it, I even ripped off all tags possible.

The mat and stuff sack together weigh 16.8
, the sack weighs .2oz.