Forum Index » GEAR » Advice on choosing a hiking shirt?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
Cabelas Guidewear II on 06/17/2011 14:57:43 MDT Print View

I most recently used a Cabelas guidewear II longsleeve shirt. It has alot of features that I appreciate: TALL sizes, lots of useful pockets, pit zips, extendable collar for sun protection, and vented back. I have been super impressed with it so far. Also, it is nylon and quick drying. It is also on sale right now.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Guidewear174-GXII8482-Long-Sleeve-Shirt-150-Tall/722878.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dguidewear%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=guidewear&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Eric Marcano
(ericm) - M

Locale: Southcentral Texas
RailRiders on 06/17/2011 16:05:23 MDT Print View

My go-to shirt right now is the RR Adventure top. It's very comfortable, very airy, dries fast, easy to wash, and looks great. I felt like a million bucks in the AT recently while wearing it.

I also have the Bone Flats, which I've trained in extensively. The material is much lighter but interestingly enough, this causes a better drape against the skin which results in a more clammy feel. In contrast, the Adventure top is barely heavier and seems to allow for better ventilation.

Tommy Franzen
(Tomlike) - F

Locale: Pacific Wonderland
RR Adventure on 06/17/2011 16:07:25 MDT Print View

Eric, how well do the sleeves roll up on the RR Adventure?

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Material counts on 06/17/2011 19:47:01 MDT Print View

If I need total upper body sun/bug protection, I like a button front nylon shirt like the REI Sahara shirt I mentioned previously. Breaths good but also keeps the bugs at bay with a tighter weave and material that causes the shirt to stand off the body. Long sleeve tee shirts are generally made of a material with a very loose weave. So, the bugs can get right through. Plus that type of material tends to drape closer to the body, but it does help with blocking sun. Just not good for bugs. I always were a loose weave short-sleeve shirt and carry the Sahara shirt in my pack, day hiking, or backpacking. -I have also worn an Exofficio shirt and it did all the things I mentioned above very well. But pretty spensive' no matter how you look at it. I do hope that a very light weight wind shirt will come out in the next year that will be comfortable against the skin and breath very well as possible. That could help me drop 5-6 ounces. Good luck in your search.

Richard Peters
(rhpeters)
Hiking Sgirt on 06/18/2011 07:51:07 MDT Print View

Try the Mountain Hardwear Canyon shirt. I think they have it dialed.