WTB: Sherpani Rumba Superlight child carrier
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nate Davis
(Knaight) - F

Locale: Western Massachusetts
WTB: Sherpani Rumba Superlight child carrier on 05/20/2011 04:01:48 MDT Print View

I have a 9 month old that would love to go on a couple overnights this summer. Anyone have a Sherpani Rumba Superlight they'd be willing to sell?

I might be willing to consider other carriers, but this seems like the only one that'll carry my kid and some gear without a huge weight penalty.

Thanks!

-Nate

Nate Davis
(Knaight) - F

Bumping on 05/22/2011 07:32:50 MDT Print View

Bump.

Jeremy Malin
(jrmalin) - F

Locale: New England
Bump on 05/22/2011 10:08:21 MDT Print View

Hope you find one. If you were asking in a year or so, I'd be ready to part with mine, but I still have a 12 month old. I am a little skeptical of the stated capacity, but with a lightweight setup, it is a workable solution. I have also read that Deuter Kid Comfort III is a good pack. With the sherpani, the attachment points for the daypack are compatible with Osprey day pack that I have from years ago, which added a little extra room.

Nate Davis
(Knaight) - F

Bump on 06/02/2011 06:25:56 MDT Print View

Gonna go ahead and try again!

Paul Osborn
(bcoutdoors) - F
considered the kelty? on 06/02/2011 08:28:09 MDT Print View

Kelty has good ones. I'm not sure how the weight compares, but they have a pack on the back that carries up to 20 liters of stuff.

Left lane sports has them for between $100 and $130 here: http://www.leftlanesports.com.
If you aren't a member and want to get a $10 discount (and a $10 credit for me) you can use this invite:
https://www.leftlanesports.com/invite/PaulOsborn

I prefer ours (the back country) as it has a detachable day pack. I talked to Kelty and they don't currently offer that option.

Paul Osborn
(bcoutdoors) - F
fast service on 06/02/2011 11:30:57 MDT Print View

I just got word from friend. She got hers in canada after only 4 days. At least the service is good!

Nate Davis
(Knaight) - F

Thanks! on 06/02/2011 18:59:24 MDT Print View

Thanks for the tip, Paul! I did a fair bit of looking around and am pretty sold on the Sherpani. It's a lot lighter than any other model and packs a fair bit of stuff.

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Thanks! on 06/03/2011 19:35:31 MDT Print View

I have a Sherpani Superlight I'd consider selling, if you're still looking. Bought 2009. Complete and only lightly used.

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Sherpani pics for Nate on 06/04/2011 20:38:35 MDT Print View

Here's the Superlight I have. As I said, lightly used (no overnights). Small scrapes on the frame, as you'd expect. Two small dirty spots on back rim, and a 1/8" frayed spot just below. Other than that, very clean inside and out (no food stains, etc). Comes with detachable hood (shown attached) and stow bag for hood.

Let me know what you think.

front
back
frame bottomcarrier rim

Edited by DavidDrake on 06/04/2011 20:40:20 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: WTB: Sherpani Rumba Superlight child carrier on 06/04/2011 21:37:07 MDT Print View

How big is your child? I ask this seriously - UL isn't always the answer if you are hauling a bigger baby.

I use a Deuter III for that reason. Today the pack was 50 lbs. Yes, 50 freaking pounds. Triple B (Walker's nickname....Bowling Ball Buns) is tall and solid. We did our homework and tried on many packs when he was smaller (he is 14 months) and the III was the only one that can haul serious weight without hurting the wearer.

I did buy a Sherpani and it came defective....it went back after I contacted the company and their answer was "Return it" not..."we can fix it". After that I got serious about trying packs on.

So anyways, long ramble but don't buy for NOW, buy for when the child is 2 years old!!!!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: WTB: Sherpani Rumba Superlight child carrier on 06/04/2011 21:40:19 MDT Print View

Also...the Sherpani's don't pack as much as one thinks they do. The SL only has the bottom storage which has a weight limit (otherwise it will sag). If you got the regular Rumba be forewarned that the back bag for storage hangs by two attachments and doesn't bear weight well. You cannot load much in it!!

Nate Davis
(Knaight) - F

Looks great! on 06/05/2011 17:01:29 MDT Print View

Dave - I'll take it!

Sarah -- thanks for the input. Evan's kind of tall for his age, but at 10 months, he's only 19 lbs. Based on the research I've done, I think the Superlight will work really well for us. We only plan to take him on 2 to 3 overnights this year, and each of those will involve short mileage.

Along with good reviews, the Sherpani is very affordable (especially used), and you don't have to buy extras like the hood that comes with it.