Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Silicone spray

Display Avatars Sort By:
bj bretzke
(lilorphanbilly) - F

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)
Silicone spray on 05/19/2011 20:18:30 MDT Print View

I work at a bike shop and we have have cases of silicone spray lube. It smells just like the expensive silicone water-proofing. Has anyone ever tried the spray lube as a water repellent for tarps, etc? Just wondering....

BJ

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Silicone spray on 05/19/2011 22:13:16 MDT Print View

Does it have a hydrocarbon base?

Daniel Fosse
(magillagorilla) - F

Locale: Southwest Ohio
Re: Silicone spray on 05/20/2011 08:32:24 MDT Print View

I guess it depends on the nature of the chemical. If it is combined with solvents designed to prevent it from curing (which would be my guess if it is intended for moving parts) then it may be a poor choice for treating fabric.

Most of the silicone used to waterproof, bonds or cures in to a solid. What you are describing sounds like it may make a "greasy" film on fabric that would likely just rub off. Silnet and homemade silnet (100% silicone caulk + Alcohol solvent) are curative and turn in to a solid.

David Cohen
(TheNewGuy) - F
Silicone Spray on 05/23/2011 01:04:29 MDT Print View

Best bet would probably be to test it on a small scrap of silnylon. If you don't have any scrap, let me know and I can send you a few small pieces.

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Silicone spray on 05/24/2011 11:07:06 MDT Print View

All tarps benefit from water repellant finish, even silnylon. The question is, will your silicone spray 1) adhere; 2) persist; 3) not damage the fabric. The only way to find out is to try it, preferably on a small piece of fabric.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
Silicone spray on 05/24/2011 11:18:20 MDT Print View

I recently made a bivy out of a Heetsheets emergency bivy and one of those stick-on zippers. I'm looking to seam seal/ waterproof the zipper area, so I'm following this discussion with some interest. Will the silicone help or interfere with zipper function? Will it damage the material the Heetsheets is made out of ?

Stargazer

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Silicone Spray Lube on 05/26/2011 19:43:00 MDT Print View

Silicone spray lube is not the same as silicone sealant and will do nothing except lubricate. A totally different kind of silicone.

Silicone sealant diluted with paint thinner is what works for seam sealing and waterproofing.

Edited by brooklynkayak on 05/26/2011 19:44:23 MDT.