Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » DIY Meteor Bivy by MLD Question

Display Avatars Sort By:
Loren Baginski
(Bags4266) - F
DIY Meteor Bivy by MLD Question on 05/18/2011 17:54:25 MDT Print View

I am planning to make one of these using MLD's plan's. My question to anyone who has one is if I could fit a air pad that's 2.5" high without compressing my bag? Or should I add extra material in the bottom part? thanks

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: DIY Meteor Bivy by SMD Question on 05/18/2011 18:06:46 MDT Print View

The Six Moon Design Meteor Bivy plans were too small for me to get a Neoair in, with my bag and self. I would increase both the bottom and the top pieces.

Edited by kthompson on 05/18/2011 18:07:25 MDT.

John West
(skyzo) - F

Locale: Borah Gear
Meteor on 05/18/2011 19:40:24 MDT Print View

I'm a pretty thin guy (6'0 160lbs), and in the MYOG Meteors I have made in the past, it has fit me, a neoair, and a SD Nitro 30 just fine. YMMV though

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Re: DIY Meteor Bivy by MLD Question on 05/19/2011 03:31:35 MDT Print View

My meteor has a 3 inch bathtub floor ... made by adding 6 inches to the width of the floor piece, all other dimensions match the design. It's fine with size neoair regular ... only marginally with a neoair large.

Ultra Magnus
(Ultra_Magnus) - F
Re: Re: DIY Meteor Bivy by MLD Question on 05/19/2011 12:56:39 MDT Print View

I was thinking along the same lines, and being 6'2" - 225lbs, I went with a 5" bathtub floor and put in some fiberglass rods (form an old kite) to hold them up with some tie out loops. I first dipped the ends in plasti-dip to make them more blunt so they won't tear through the fabric. Maybe it's overkill but it's still a fun project.

My floor is rectangular - 30" x 84".
smd custom meteor

I drew it up in Solidworks as a sheet metal part so I can make flat patterns for cutting the fabric. It may not be perfect, but should be close enough... It's still under construction, but I'll post back whenever I get it done.

BM