Forum Index » Chaff » I just ate.....

Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
I just ate..... on 05/17/2011 20:53:56 MDT Print View

an entire pint of Jeni's brown butter almond brittle ice cream. All in one sitting. I'm going to die. Or puke. Or maybe puke first, then die.

Why do I do this to myself. So much for UL.

(Sorry, I don't do Facebook, I just do the BPL forums........)

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
I just ate.... on 05/17/2011 22:50:09 MDT Print View

a toasted english muffin with peach jam and real butter, right before bedtime! I WAS thinking that I shoudn't have done it, but I'm not worried anymore.
Thanks Doug!
G'night!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: I just ate.... on 05/17/2011 22:57:01 MDT Print View

Have some pie. You'll feel better.

Edited by kthompson on 05/17/2011 22:57:36 MDT.

David Adair
(DavidAdair) - M

Locale: West Dakota
Pre-hike conditioning on 05/18/2011 12:34:57 MDT Print View

@Doug

Yes, it's not always easy, but you must stick with the program! The last thing you need is to be nearing the end of a long hike and find you lack the bodily reserves needed to make it. I feel a lot of people underestimate the importance and dedication required to build those reserves. I myself maintain motivation by imagining the admiring looks of fellow hikers when I finally do arrive at the trailhead. One look at this physique and they will know they are looking at a serious hiker well conditioned for the long trail!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: I just ate..... on 05/18/2011 17:17:23 MDT Print View

You do it to your self ;-) Channeling some Radio Head!

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
I just ate.. on 05/19/2011 12:19:39 MDT Print View

A burger, fries, and an entire pizza. After ordering, the waitress looked at me funny and asked if someone else would be joining me.

Do you think backpacking contributes to the idea that binge eating is ok (desirable actually) in some cirumstances?

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
I like an example from Dean Karnazes on 05/19/2011 12:41:47 MDT Print View

when he was soloing a 200 mile relay run, he called on his cell phone to have a large combo pizza, whole cheesecake, and large coffee delivered to a street corner about two miles or so up the road. He ate everything and kept going. In his book Ultramarathon Man he includes a table of his entire caloric intake, listing all food eaten during the 24 or so hour event. The tally was around 29,000 calories in just over one day!

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: I like an example from Dean Karnazes on 05/19/2011 12:47:06 MDT Print View

29,000 calories divided by 24 hours is ~1,200 calories per hour.

A body under stress can manage about 300 to 400 calories per hour.

I think some selective eating took place, regardless of the order placed.

Edit: More detail can be found Here. (7000/24 =291 cal/hour)

Edited by greg23 on 05/19/2011 12:52:18 MDT.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
i was going off the top of my head on 05/19/2011 13:34:56 MDT Print View

I'm home now and looking in his book; his time was closer to two days than one, and the actual caloric total was 27,934. I should have remembered that there were two full nights of running since I did the thing on a team and actually passed Dean going up a hill before the final leg into Santa Cruz on the second morning. His diet for the 199 mile, two days of running:

8 Power Bars
5 chocolate chip cookies (soft, large)
4 Bananas
4 Peanut butter and honey sandwiches
3 Burritos (large, beef)
3 Doughnuts
3 bags trail mix
3 servings of french fries
2 grilled chicken sandwiches
2 Cinnamon buns
2 Smoothies
2 servings Macaroni and cheese
1 Slurpee
1 Pizza (large, hawaiian actually, with extra cheese, ham and pineapple)
1 bag Dorritos (large)
1 Cheesecake
1 bag pretzels
1 Thai chicken wrap
1 chocolate malt (large)
1 ice cream sandwich
1 chocolate eclair
1 bag chocolate espresso beans

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: i am considering ezekiel bread - who has tried it on 05/19/2011 20:21:54 MDT Print View

http://foodforlife.com/sprouted-grain-difference/ezekiel-4-9.html

Was talking to a friend about this bread. Who has tried it?

from their website...

Inspired by the Holy Scripture verse Ezekiel 4:9., "Take also unto thee Wheat, and Barley, and beans, and lentils, and millet, and Spelt, and put them in one vessel, and make bread of it..."

Ezekiel 4:9® Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Products are:

Flourless,
Organic,
Complete Protein,
and Sprouted Whole Grain
We discovered when these six grains and legumes are sprouted and combined, an amazing thing happens. A complete protein is created that closely parallels the protein found in milk and eggs. In fact, the protein quality is so high, that it is 84.3% as efficient as the highest recognized source of protein, containing all 9 essential amino acids. There are 18 amino acids present in this unique bread – from all vegetable sources – naturally balanced in nature.

Ezekiel 4:9® Bread, made from freshly sprouted organically grown grains, is naturally flavorful and bursting with nutrients. Rich in protein, vitamins, minerals and natural fiber with no added fat. Try it served warm to release its exceptionally rich nutty flavor.

This Biblical Bread is Truly the Staff of Life

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: i am considering ezekiel bread - who has tried it on 05/19/2011 20:39:50 MDT Print View

I've been trying to lay off the carbs and grains lately, but when I do eat bread, Ezekiel is by far my favorite packaged bread. It's a bit crumbly, but pretty hearty stuff. It'll spoil quick if not refrigerated.

On Dean Karnazes: There are plenty of elite ultrarunners (Roes, Jurek, Krupicka, Jornet....) that are a good measure above him that don't eat 1/4 the garbage he talks about during a race. Hell, Jurek's a strict vegan and holds the American 24 hour record: 162.46 miles on nothing but plant food.

Edited by xnomanx on 05/19/2011 20:50:49 MDT.

Dirk Rabdau
(dirk9827) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
...Homemade blackbean burger on 05/19/2011 23:54:20 MDT Print View

Alas, becoming a vegetarian far more on the side of veganism is not as fun as sitting down with a good cheeseburger and shake.

But after watching Forks Over Knives last weekend, I figured I had better change my ways. I have eaten far too much crap in recent years.

Dirk

Edited by dirk9827 on 05/19/2011 23:55:07 MDT.

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: I just ate..... on 05/20/2011 01:32:07 MDT Print View

...chef boyardee microwave mac & cheese just so that I could use the container for an ultralight mug and I could not bring myself to discard the contents in a more wasteful manner. After "dinner," I promptly washed it and poured a cup of tea into it and will weigh it as soon as I am done. Sometimes the sacrifices necessary for UL gear nuances are a tall order indeed.

j lan
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: Re: I just ate..... on 05/20/2011 08:28:29 MDT Print View

Pad thai based on the recipe off the back of the rice noodle package, crazy good! If i would have known how easy it was i would be eating this stuff all the time. I did add in some peanut butter.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
re: Ezekiel bread on 05/20/2011 08:37:34 MDT Print View

FWIW, the bread Ezekiel made was intended to illustrate how unholy the Israelites had become. IOW, it was bad, or ritually unclean bread. Just saying.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: re: Ezekiel bread on 05/20/2011 08:40:28 MDT Print View

"IOW, it was bad, or ritually unclean bread."

My colon is habitually unclean. Perhaps it's a perfect marriage. Have to buy me some......

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: I just ate.. on 05/20/2011 08:46:14 MDT Print View

Grilled liver, fava beans, and a nice chianti.

sheila o
(bumpass) - F

Locale: The Far Left Coast? : /
re: bread on 05/20/2011 15:51:29 MDT Print View

I believe Trader Joe's is very similar and costs almost half as much. Freeze half the loaf if you go through it slowly. :)

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: re: bread on 05/21/2011 18:06:10 MDT Print View

>>> I believe Trader Joe's is very similar and costs almost half as much. Freeze half the loaf if you go through it slowly. :)

Thanks for the tip. I will try to find it at Trader Joe's.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: i am considering ezekiel bread - who has tried it on 05/22/2011 16:22:11 MDT Print View

Dave's Killer Bread is a million miles better tasting - and is good for you :-) YMMV of course! I cannot keep the 13 year old out of it - which says a lot as he normally looks down at "brown" bread. Thankfully Costco carries it.....