Cooking Salmon in Alaska
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Magdoff
(highsierraguy) - F

Locale: Northern California
Cooking Salmon in Alaska on 05/17/2011 00:38:11 MDT Print View

Hey all
Wondering if you guys had any tips or idea about how to prep and cook any fish caught in Alaska. I am doing a trip in Alaska this summer, with the main focus on fishing. Hoping to catch Salmon, trout, steelhead, and maybe rockfish.

I do a lot of fishing in the sierras for little trout and normal just cook the fish right on the fire after being cleaned. But the fish in Alaska are going to be much bigger so I will be able to get steaks and fillets. I was thinking of bring a girl to place on top of the fire and some type of seasoning or rub.

Any tips on how to cook the fish, or what to season with?

THANKS!!
Dan

Hugh Teegan
(hteegan) - MLife
Cooking in Alaska on 05/17/2011 00:43:04 MDT Print View

Can't help with the fish but I'm pretty sure that "...bring a girl to place on top of the fire..." is as illegal in Alaska as it is in CA.:-)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Cooking Salmon in Alaska on 05/17/2011 01:02:13 MDT Print View

It doesn't matter so much how you cook the salmon, but get it done before the bear arrives.

Alaskan Coastal Brown Bear with Sockeye Salmon

--B.G.--

Dan Magdoff
(highsierraguy) - F

Locale: Northern California
Alaska cookin on 05/17/2011 11:40:21 MDT Print View

haha...ya I ment grill...a girl on the fire would be kinda crazy!

Bob- I honestly am a little worried about the bears...I know I will be doing the cooking a ways away from where I am camping, and I will be sure to bring a set of clothes purely for fishing and cooking in. I found this recipe and it looks like it would be good for backpacking.

http://www.food.com/recipe/dry-rub-for-salmon-201657

Any other ideas?

Chris Jones
(NightMarcher) - F
Re: Cooking Salmon in Alaska on 05/17/2011 18:42:32 MDT Print View

Watch the Alaska episode from Ray Mear's Extreme Survival series (season 3).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_Survival

If memory serves correct, he cooks up a freshly caught salmon, bushcraft style, towards the end of the episode. Pretty mouthwatering.

I may be a purist in saying this, but you really don't need spices to enjoy fresh salmon (salmon is just fine on its own). A little salt to bring out the natural flavor and you're set. Yum...

Edited by NightMarcher on 05/17/2011 18:45:37 MDT.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
salmon recipe on 05/17/2011 20:49:48 MDT Print View

Fresh salmon is so oily and strongly flavored that it needs no adornment, especially when cooked hours after capture. And strong enough to take your favorite spice, if so choose.

+1 on separating your fishing and cooking clothes - good sense anywhere there are bears.

And spare that poor girl.

Richard

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
girl to throw on the fire on 05/17/2011 22:25:32 MDT Print View

My Ex carried 35+ lbs real well PM me if you want her phone # note she still has old heavy equipment. Im glad she does not read this as we are still kinda friends

Jason Acker
(NWCLIMBER199) - F
Re: Cooking Salmon in Alaska on 05/24/2011 12:18:07 MDT Print View

Fillet the salmon and cut it into individual portions. Then just put some salt, dill (fresh if possible), lemon juice, and a little bit of pepper on it then grill it. Fresh salmon is just like a great USDA prime steak, it doesn't need too much help. Don't overcook, you can eat salmon cooked medium.

j lan
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: Cooking Salmon in Alaska on 05/24/2011 14:23:50 MDT Print View

You can also put a flat rock in the base of your cook pot with some water around it an steam bake. I love fish cooked this way.

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
Salmon in Alaska on 05/24/2011 14:58:36 MDT Print View

Just season with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Fold in foil packet and place on coals. Prepare for the best trip of your life.

alaskan salmon

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Cooking Salmon in Alaska on 05/24/2011 15:01:21 MDT Print View

Ike, nice fish!