Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Gold Bluff Beach (NorCal) ~8 miles, Saturday May 21

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife

Locale: www.hikelighter.com
Gold Bluff Beach (NorCal) ~8 miles, Saturday May 21 on 05/16/2011 18:24:29 MDT Print View

Hello All,

I am planning to do a short one day hike ~8 mile trip this Saturday (May 21) at Gold Bluff Beach. It will start at Fern Canyon and go North along the "Coastal Trail, Gold Bluff Beach Section" (2.5 miles) than "West Ridge Trail" (1.7 miles) than "Friendship Ridge Trail" (2.8 miles) and that drops down into the top of Fern Canyon (0.6 miles).

There is a 20% chance of rain at this point, with a temp around 58(f).

I have hiked the first and last part of this trail, but not the connecting points. You can see photos of the first part of the trail.

This is one of the very few places in the Redwoods where you can see waterfalls of this height (perhaps the only?)

The first part of the trail (last time I was on it) has sections where it is nothing put small sections of water - knee high - but it is worth the minute or two of cold water. This first section of the trail has you right between a massive bluff and the ocean. Beautiful, see the photos.

The middle parts of the trail are suppose to be pretty nice too. The final part of the trail, Fern Canyon, is well, just beautiful.

There is a camp ground there for those that might want to spend the night or who are driving a long distance. I heard it just opened up last week. Nice campground, though no trees in the campground for those who are hammock campers.

I am planning to leave Eureka CA at around 7am. It is 51 mile drive from Eureka to the Campground, takes a few minutes over an hour. We can carpool as needed.

Anybody up for this?