Looking for a LIGHT tent
Display Avatars Sort By:
Lex Windle
(lexalotacus) - F
Looking for a LIGHT tent on 05/16/2011 13:25:13 MDT Print View

Hey everyone,
I'm trying to find a good, SMALL, and LIGHT 2 person backpacking tent and wanted to get some feedback...
I'm looking at the Kelty Salida 2, but wanted to see if anyone knows anything lighter and cheaper?
Thanks!

Jake Palmer
(jakep_82) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Looking for a LIGHT tent on 05/16/2011 13:32:19 MDT Print View

Does it need to be double wall? Does it need to be freestanding? That Kelty tent may be inexpensive, but it's by no means light (4.5lb listed weight). The Double Rainbow by Tarptent is about 2 pounds lighter, but it's a single wall tent and a fair bit more money.

Edited by jakep_82 on 05/16/2011 13:32:58 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Looking for a LIGHT tent on 05/16/2011 14:21:31 MDT Print View

Pyramid tents work pretty good. Lots of room. Maybe 1 pound plus stakes and pole. Mountain Laurel Design Duomid, for example.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
Light Tent on 05/16/2011 15:26:05 MDT Print View

The Kelty Salida 2 is probably the best two-person, free-standing, double wall tent in its price range.

You can easily get it under 4 lbs, and for 2 people, that's not too shabby.

Unless you want to throw down an extra 250 to shave a 1.5 lbs and get the Fly Creek 3 (the 2 is pretty small), I don't see any other options.

Of course, there are the tarps, and etc., that most people here use.

Marc Shea
(FlytePacker) - F

Locale: Cascades
SD Clip Flashlight on 05/16/2011 15:54:41 MDT Print View

Roughly the same internal dimensions of the Kelty Salida, can be found in the same ballpark price range, and weighs less. http://www.campsaver.com/clip-flashlight-2-2-person-3-season Downsides - Vestibule is smaller and it is not freestanding.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Looking for a LIGHT ten on 05/16/2011 16:53:07 MDT Print View

Whatever tent you get, be sure the screen door is vertical, not with the bottom slanting outwards (as in the SD Clip Flashlight). Otherwise rain will come in when you unzip the door of the fly to go in and out, and you'll have to close the tent up tight even in a drizzle, resulting in considerable condensation.

I had far worse problems with condensation in my SD Clip Flashlight (moisture condensed on the fly and leaked back through the inner tent) than I have had in any single-wall tent! I gave mine away (to someone who had his tent stolen) because I didn't want to make anyone pay for such a poorly-designed (IMHO) tent. That tent did teach me a good lesson about tent design, though!

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Looking for a LIGHT tent on 05/17/2011 11:20:38 MDT Print View

not cheaper but lighter:

http://www.lightheartgear.com/LightHeart_Gear/Duo_Specs.html

http://www.lightheartgear.com/LightHeart_Gear/Duo_Tent.html

Edited by annapurna on 05/17/2011 11:24:21 MDT.