Lightest camp shoes
Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Shoes on 05/16/2011 23:35:39 MDT Print View

"We were much better off in camp with our shoes on with the laces untied. "

...I agree! That's why I don't use camp shoes. ;)

Sorry they did not work for you, they seem to work for others...

So it goes. Good thing there are so many different ideas to choose fom!

albert barragan
(comaone) - F

Locale: PNW
Camp shoes on 05/17/2011 00:31:17 MDT Print View

Camp shoes
This are my camp shoes, at first they were a little lighter with duct tape, but the tape would be replace every outing, so I added the cord as laces, works great at 1.5oz. No river fording on these I just use my trail shoes for that and once at camp I slip on night socks and these

Edited by comaone on 05/17/2011 00:32:52 MDT.

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
Re: Camp shoes on 05/17/2011 00:37:16 MDT Print View

Whoa, lookin nice Albert!

Was the tape falling off? I have been using the sticky "good quality" duct tape and have had no problems with just one piece across the top.

carl becker
(carlbecker) - F

Locale: Northern Virginia
Re: Re: Camp shoes on 05/17/2011 09:14:11 MDT Print View

At 3 ounces a pr the Neoprene Slippers or 'CROC LINERS' look like a good solution. Still at 16 ounces or less a pr I will use X-talon 212 or bare 200's and loosen the laces. 2 ounces pr for extra dry socks and I am done.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Lightest camp shoes" on 05/17/2011 12:20:04 MDT Print View

2 possibilities with the Goose Feet:
--Get just the waterproof shells (they need to be seam-sealed) and wear over a pair of dry socks.
--Get both booties and shells and forget the socks--definitely warmer.

However, it appears that the Goose Feet owner is gone until Aug. 20. IMHO, Goose Feet are well worth waiting for! The homemade alternatives above or a pair of Sprint Aquatics mesh shoes should last you until then. BTW, I used the Sprint Aquatics for camp shoes for several years before Goose Feet came along, and they worked just fine. Unless I scuffed around in the dirt, my sleeping socks stayed clean.

This thread has brought up an issue with the Five Fingers shoes that those interested in such shoes should consider--the problem of keeping feet warm and dry in camp!

Edited by hikinggranny on 05/17/2011 12:28:44 MDT.

William Zila
(Ultralightwillinn.m) - MLife

Locale: Albuquerque
Agreed on 05/17/2011 14:46:35 MDT Print View

Wow I brought up a new promblem I feel accomplished lol the shoes are great and everything but the thick fabric between the toes drys really quick but in between the toes stay whet and when the sun goes down and the temps drop your toes get COLD I think I will use my neoprene socks until I can order some goosefeet botties and over booties