Forum Index » GEAR » Lightest camp shoes

Display Avatars Sort By:
William Zila
(Ultralightwillinn.m) - MLife

Locale: Albuquerque
Lightest camp shoes on 05/16/2011 12:02:44 MDT Print View

Ok yea no camp shoes would be the lightest I know that but I have converted to backpacking in my five fingers and around camp during evening and morning my toes will go numb they get so cold Evan wearing a medium weight wool toe sock I want a super light camp shoe that will keep my sleep socks dry and clean and allows me to walk around camp I was thinking those tyvec booties with the silicon tread bottom would those work ? If not what else is there at preferably under 2 ounces a pair maybe 3 ounces at tops

Edited by Ultralightwillinn.m on 05/16/2011 13:58:08 MDT.

Kevin Cody
(codycolor2) - F

Locale: Los Padres NF
not your weight on 05/16/2011 12:46:25 MDT Print View

I haven't personally used these but I was thinking about getting them. The Patagonia Advocate slip-ons. They are on sale here http://www.leftlanesports.com/Product.aspx?l=00010005017400000000&p=PTG01248 supposedly they weigh 4.6 ounces @ $26.95 not to bad Just an idea. Curious to know what others post up.

Peter Griffith
(petergriffith) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Camp Shoes on 05/16/2011 12:54:26 MDT Print View

See this post in Gear Deals

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=47742

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: not your weight on 05/16/2011 13:25:48 MDT Print View

"The Patagonia Advocate slip-ons....supposedly they weigh 4.6 "

A pair of size 11 comes in at 10 ounces.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Lightest camp shoes on 05/16/2011 13:54:51 MDT Print View

One of the confusing points about purchasing shoes is that they sometimes list the weight as per-shoe, sometimes as per-pair, and sometimes not at all.

--B.G.--

William Zila

Neoprene socks on 05/16/2011 13:59:26 MDT Print View

I just remembered I have some seal skin socks laying around somewhere from northern tier those should work waterproof and warm

Kevin Cody
(codycolor2) - F

Locale: Los Padres NF
Re: Re: not your weight on 05/16/2011 14:02:42 MDT Print View

Good call. They should make it a standard where if something comes as a pair you must list the weight as a pair and not individually.

Tommy Franzen
(Tomlike) - F

Locale: Pacific Wonderland
Imitation Crocs on 05/16/2011 15:47:02 MDT Print View

IF I bring camp shoes I bring my imitation Crocs. Size 11 they weigh 6oz. each. Super cheap, dry quickly, great for crossing streams, etc. Those Patagonias look nice, but for a couple extra ounces I'll take the Crocs. I'm always looking out for something lighter, but the Croc design is better than most others I've seen

Marc Shea
(FlytePacker) - F

Locale: Cascades
Re: Native Shoes on 05/16/2011 16:01:04 MDT Print View

Another option are Native shoes. http://nativeshoes.com/products They are basically made of the same material as Crocs only they are in a different form factor. My wife's pair of the Millers weigh in at 11 ounces for women's Size 10.

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F - M

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Re: Re: Native Shoes on 05/16/2011 16:20:51 MDT Print View

why not just wear VBL socks in your wet trail runners? less 2ozs. and they can be multiple use items

William Zila

There toe shoes on 05/16/2011 16:23:04 MDT Print View

I would but wearing a bag in a toe shoe feels to weird for me and I love the feel of the cold water on stream crossings

roberto nahue
(carspidey) - F

Locale: san fernando valley
make your own on 05/16/2011 17:25:28 MDT Print View

how about making your own out of foam pad from walmart?

i did and they worked good enough... i lost them on a river crossing though :(

I was thinking of getting the ones they give you at a nail salon (they have them at the dollar store) and then gluing some blue foam to make it more resistant and put them higher so dirt won't get your socks dirty...

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
shoe inserts on 05/16/2011 17:33:47 MDT Print View

You know those shoe inserts you (hopefully) throw out that come with the shoe?

Make campshoes out of them:
One Ounce Camp Shoes

I've seen some thru-hikers use them as town shoes, too! :)

They are fugly..but functional. Light and cheap, too!

Of course, the lightest campshoes are no shoes at all. :)

Tim Cleary
(Hempstead90) - F

Locale: On the AT somewhere, I hope
Myog on 05/16/2011 17:34:22 MDT Print View

I made a pair out of CCF plus rubber bands. Free, and less than 1 oz.

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
Re: Lightest camp shoes on 05/16/2011 17:38:25 MDT Print View

Leaving them at home.

=)

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Goosefeet overshoes on 05/16/2011 18:13:20 MDT Print View

Goosefeet overshoes?

http://goosefeet.webs.com/products.htm

William Zila

Goose feet on 05/16/2011 18:18:17 MDT Print View

I am looking for down Booties as well are the weights listed on goosefeet per shoe or per pair ?

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Light camp shoes on 05/16/2011 18:34:06 MDT Print View

+2 for Goose Feet plus overshoes.

The Goose Feet weight is per pair!

Edited by hikinggranny on 05/16/2011 19:33:33 MDT.

Jennifer W
(tothetrail) - MLife

Locale: So. Cal.
Re: shoe inserts on 05/16/2011 21:02:35 MDT Print View

Paul, I thought this idea was great until I spent time making some to use on the JMT last summer.

Camp Shoes

They were so bad, that we just ended up burning them the first chance we got. They were terrible. Dirt, twigs, and pebbles would work their way in after a step or two and our feet (or socks) were filthy after a few minutes. We were much better off in camp with our shoes on with the laces untied.

We also used DirtyGirl gaiters that kept the insides of the shoes relatively clean, so wearing clean socks in the shoes in camp worked out well.

Now, using five finger shoes makes this a bit of a dilemma. And, yes, the Tyvek booties may work, over some thick socks, especially since your feet should be well accustomed to debris you may step on.

William Zila

Agreed on 05/16/2011 21:38:45 MDT Print View

I agree 100% jenifer my socks would get filthy with those camp "shoes" the whole point of the camp shoes is to keep my sleeping socks clean and those ones cerntaintly wouldn't