Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Xpac Murmur/Burn Hybrid Pack 14.7 oz.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Shane Bailey
(Shane112510) - F
Xpac Murmur/Burn Hybrid Pack 14.7 oz. on 05/16/2011 10:55:50 MDT Print View

Finished weight: 14.7 oz.

I decided to make this pack after realizing that the MLD Burn and Gossamer Gear Murmur weren't quite what I wanted, but I wanted a pack that size and liked some features about both packs. What I wanted from the Burn was a durable fabric, webbing closure over the extension collar, and webbing on the shoulder strap to add an adjustable sternum strap and shoulder pouch. What I wanted from the Murmur were the shoulder straps, removable 3/4" webbing waist belt, back pad sleeve, and the volume.

I didn't want to pay for the Dyneema X fabric used on the Burn, so I decided to make this pack out of Xpac WX20 from Dimension Polyant. They said it was gray when I ordered it, but it's more of a Silver/White/Gray color, which is fine with me. It was very nice to work with and does feel quite durable. The crunchy/stiff feel of it is kind of interesting to have on a pack when you're used to very drapable nylon, but I am quite pleased with it.

The extension collar is 70D ripstop nylon.

The back sleeve and front pocket are both made from Lycra Mesh from Quest Outfitters, and I decided to use the Leno Mesh for the bottle pockets, because I've heard it is very durable stuff, and I tend to scrape bottle pockets a lot when I'm hiking.

The under side of the shoulder straps are 4mm Foam Ventilated Mesh from Rockywoods. It's fairly heavy stuff, but really comfortable on my shoulders. I think I would continue to use it on future packs.

I like having pockets either on my hip belt or shoulder straps, and since I made this pack with 3/4" webbing as the hip belt, I decided to make a shoulder pouch for it. I might make another pouch, but I made this one fairly large, so I might only need one. The pouch adds .7 oz. to the pack.

I made the pouch out of 70D ripstop nylon and added a velcro strip to the front and a velcro tab at the top so it can be folded over. I also added a drawcord to cinch it closed for more closure options.

The whole pack didn't come out as light as I was hoping, but I figured it would end up weighing slightly more than my 10 oz. goal because of the materials I chose. However, I think it's going to end up being a pretty durable pack, which is what I wanted, and it's nice having all the features that I wanted for a pack this size.

After realizing how addicting making my own pack is, I might have to make my own version of the Mariposa Plus that I have. Maybe in a month or so I'll be posting another MYOG pack.

Edited by Shane112510 on 05/16/2011 12:03:27 MDT.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Xpac Murmur/Burn Hybrid Pack 14.7 oz. on 05/16/2011 11:15:21 MDT Print View

Shane,

Nicely done!

How was the Lycra mesh to work with?

"After realizing how addicting making my own pack is, I might have to make my own version of the Mariposa Plus that I have. Maybe in a month or so I'll be posting another MYOG pack".

There is no cure for the addiction. I'll be looking for that next pack sooner not later. LOL

Party On,

Newton

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: XPAC Murmur/Burn on 05/16/2011 11:51:44 MDT Print View

Very nice work! I like it.

I've found VX-21 to not be as abrasion resistant as Gridstop, but it does pretty well, and more than makes up with its waterproofness.

Shane Bailey
(Shane112510) - F
Re: Re: Xpac Murmur/Burn Hybrid Pack 14.7 oz. on 05/16/2011 12:10:13 MDT Print View

Newton,

The Lycra Mesh actually was not too easy to work with. I tried all kinds of markers but couldn't find any that would show up on the material, so I ended up measuring one side and making a cut, then putting the ruler on the other end and tried my best to cut toward a certain measurement on the ruler. It worked out, but definitely wasn't the easiest material to work with. The fact that it moves around and stretches made it that much more difficult to work with. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to learn easier ways to work with it.

Either way, it seems to be a good stretch mesh for pockets.

tyler marlow
(like.sisyphus)

Locale: UTAH
WOW on 05/16/2011 12:26:02 MDT Print View

Looks super professional!

I like the full mesh pad sleeve but how do you get the pad in there? Or is it permanently sewn in?

Shane Bailey
(Shane112510) - F
Re: WOW on 05/16/2011 12:51:58 MDT Print View

Tyler,

It's sewn in on the sides and bottom, and the top is left open with elastic sewn on, and there is a velcro strip in the middle for closure.

Michael Bachman
(rivrfox) - F - M

Locale: Western Slope, Colorado
quite the sexy pack! on 05/16/2011 12:56:58 MDT Print View

Might Sharpie Metallic Silver work for your marking purposes?

Shane Bailey
(Shane112510) - F
Re: quite the sexy pack! on 05/16/2011 13:24:46 MDT Print View

Michael,

I may have to pick one of those up at the store next time. Thanks.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Kinds of markers on 05/16/2011 14:25:19 MDT Print View

Shane,

White tailor's chalk at your local sewing supply.

Not sure how this would work on Lycra but how about a self healing pad and a rolling style cutter?

Party On,

Newton

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Xpac Murmur/Burn Hybrid Pack 14.7 oz on 05/18/2011 20:34:44 MDT Print View

Shane
Really nice job on your pack nice solid design. I really like your accessory pocket roll top closer idea I am going to use it on some pockets on a a pack I am working on.
Terry

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
+1 on tailor's chalk on 05/20/2011 05:07:31 MDT Print View

I've been working with the same lycra these past couple of days, and a tailors chalk triangle works wonders. Try "clover" brand. I haven't tried my rotary cutter on it though. Scissors have worked great so far.

Daniel Fosse
(magillagorilla) - F

Locale: Southwest Ohio
X-Burmur on 05/20/2011 07:59:54 MDT Print View

I've named your pack for you. Good stuff! Looks like a pro job.

I don't show anything I make. It usually looks like a 9 year old made it with dull scissors and an Elmer's paste stick.