Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Wood stove and MSR Titan Kettle question
Display Avatars Sort By:
Corey Miller
(coreyfmiller) - F

Locale: Eastern Canada
Wood stove and MSR Titan Kettle question on 05/15/2011 21:51:49 MDT Print View

Hey guys,

I recently purchased an MSR Titan Kettle as I was almost positive I seen it combined with an Ikea wood stove. I mistakenly assumed that these were nestable but I have since found out that this is not the case.

I am heading on a 4 day hike this coming weekend and was hoping to have a wood burning stove nested either inside or outside the pot.

I've been going through the forums for a while now looking for something that may work and that I could possibly make during the week given parts from Home Depot or something to that effect.

We are trying to minimize any fire damage to the ground otherwise I would just use the camp fire.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Wood stove on 05/15/2011 23:06:56 MDT Print View

Not nestable? My Titan kettle nests in the Ikea stove just fine. Two caveats though: you have to cut the lip off, and you have to cut a slot for the handles to fit into. I was going to do this anyway because I added a couple of holes in the sides for ventilation and feeding extra wood, which required me to remove the lip and allow me to slot the handles in. Mine looks exactly like this one from Dave Heiss:

Andrew

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Wood stove on 05/15/2011 23:22:24 MDT Print View

Andrew, what did you use to get the edges looking so smooth?

Dremel tool?

--B.G.--

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Wood stove on 05/15/2011 23:25:44 MDT Print View

Well, that is Dave's picture, not mine. But mine looks very similar. It's not hard to get them like that with a sharp pair of garden shears. The tricky bit is cutting out the bottom of the notches. For that, I used a pair of pliers to bend the steel back and forth until it snapped in a clean line. I then cleaned up all the edges with sandpaper. A dremel would work great though.

Andrew

Ben Egan
(benjammin21) - M

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn
cut the sides! on 05/16/2011 02:10:12 MDT Print View

Then it will work. Fits great.

To do mine I used a dremel. My garden shears weren't sharp enough and sharpening them without the proper tools was a lost cause. I found it suiting to get a metal cutting dremel tool metal cutting accessory kit. That was to get the edges pretty smooth though, and I imagine sand paper might help too.

Tin snips!!!! were probably the most useful. They're just hard to turn mid cut. I've still got more raw ikea utensil holders ready to be carved, too. Just not sure how I'll improve on it yet exactly.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Wood stove and MSR Titan Kettle question on 05/16/2011 04:34:24 MDT Print View

Corey,

Here is the original post. As it says in the thread, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Party On,

Newton

Corey Miller
(coreyfmiller) - F

Locale: Eastern Canada
Thank you on 05/16/2011 18:49:39 MDT Print View

Beautiful, worked like a charm. Used a dremel and it fits perfect.

Cheers and thanks all!

Corey