Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Goose Creek TH Loop Map

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nathan Gingles
(ginglesair) - F

Locale: USofA
No snow on 06/05/2011 00:09:13 MDT Print View

Hiked up to the "Shaft House" and did some bouldering down the back side to where Lost Creek dives under the rocks and then back over to where it comes out. Glad to say it was beautiful and everything was starting to turn green. No snow as well which is good. Anyone else have any good snow free hikes they would like to share? I am itching to go on a comparable hike/overnighter soon that is snow free. Here is a pic I snapped on Thursday 6/2/11Lost Creek

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
LCW on 06/05/2011 09:52:21 MDT Print View

I was told last weekend that the whole loop was snow free if you avoided Lake Park. With the warm weather lately, that may even be gone or at least not an issue. I'm going to try Bison later this week. That or the "lost" trail mentioned earlier in the thread. I'll report on conditions when I get back.

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: LCW on 06/05/2011 11:55:32 MDT Print View

Nathan, Here's another early season trip in LCW you can try. Just ignore the snowshoes in the first pic. They weren't needed for this trip

Randy, keep us posted on conditions around Bison, if you go there. I'll be headed that way soon.

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Lake Park is snow free on 06/05/2011 16:46:36 MDT Print View

I just got back from doing the full 24 mile loop, Hankins Pass to Lake Park to Brookside McCurdy to Refrigerator Gulch to Goose Creek. Lake Park only has a few very minor spots of snow on the trail as you decend from Lake Park to the Brookside McCurdy trail intersection. Hardly worth mentioning and easily avoided if you want.

Pictures from my trip here http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1722386462083.2086715.1310985357&l=061bc91d6c

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Re: Lake Park is snow free on 06/05/2011 18:10:45 MDT Print View

Thanks for sharing your pics, Randy. It's amazing how fast the snow melts in LCW. How are the mosquitoes now?

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Mosquitoes are definitely active on 06/05/2011 21:17:41 MDT Print View

Mosquitoes are definitely active. The were a few buzzing around the netting of my Bivy last night. But really I didn't have much of any issue with them since I always had a long sleeve shirt and long pants on.

Edited by randalmartin on 06/05/2011 21:18:26 MDT.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

LCW on 06/13/2011 10:39:06 MDT Print View

Didn't make it over to Bison this time but I did run into a couple on a 30 mile day hike loop (!!!) who said Brookside McCurdy was snow free and it appeared you could get to Bison without any issues.

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Re: LCW on 06/15/2011 14:57:00 MDT Print View

Thanks, Randy. Just back from a few days in LCW. Hiked up Bison Peak and McCurdy Mountain. No snow to speak of. I guessing that all of LCW is pretty much snow free now.

Christopher Wilke
(wilke7000)

Re: Lake Park is snow free on 06/16/2011 16:54:36 MDT Print View

Nice shots Randy! Seeing pics of LCW always makes me want to go back. I was thinking about checking out how deep the snow is in Indian Peaks Wilderness this weekend but the snow free-ness of LCW is beckoning me for an overnight... Anyone been up to IPW recently?

If I go LCW, I might check out the Rolling Creek and Colorado trail section. Anyone hiked those yet?

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Rolling Creek/CT on 06/17/2011 16:51:02 MDT Print View

Christopher,I haven't been on them this year but they will be fine condition wise. Not the most spectacular part of Lost Creek but still a nice walk. Rolling Creek is a pretty steep climb. In case you didn't know, there's a fire ban right now, so no fires and stoves have to have an off switch. I don't mind the no fires but I hate having to take a canister stove. We got some good rain today and hopefully we'll get some more soon to get us out of this fire danger. Have fun.

Brian Dickens
(briand) - F

This weekend. on 06/21/2011 15:59:17 MDT Print View

I am going to head up to LCW and see what I can pull off. I'd like to see if I can pull off at least one 20 mile day, but will set my expectations low so that I might exceed them, LOL. I am not a super strong hiker, but have managed 15mi in the past and I am in good shape for this time of year... at least for me.

I am going to try to go goose creek to lost park and back leaving either Fri early (6/24) so that if I cannot finish in two days, I have extra time.

Anyone else going to LCW this weekend?

Edited by briand on 06/22/2011 06:02:17 MDT.

Brian Lindahl
(lindahlb) - MLife

Re: This weekend. on 06/23/2011 17:44:48 MDT Print View

Let me know how things are out there, especially the bugs. I'm thinking of heading out there over 4th of July weekend. Probably will be doing some off trail stuff to keep away from the crowds, but I haven't fully decided yet.