Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Goose Creek TH Loop Map

Display Avatars Sort By:
Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
The link works on 05/22/2011 22:37:20 MDT Print View

I can see your photos. Thanks for posting, nice to get a visual on the conditions.

Eric Swab
(ericswab) - M

Locale: Rockies
Goose Creek TH Loop Map on 05/23/2011 06:09:44 MDT Print View

Thanks for the photos link and trail info.

Christopher Wilke
(wilke7000)

Northern LCW Conditions on 05/23/2011 10:19:13 MDT Print View

Thought I'd give a quick update of LCW conditions. I'll try to post pictures tonight. We headed out from the Payne Creek/Brookside TH on Friday. We were going to do a loop that went Brookside McCurdy - Lost Park - Rolling Creek -Payne Creek. There was a lot of snow above about 9500ft on Brookside McCurdy (north facing with lots of tree cover). We turned back at about 11,000ft because the drifts were getting to be 4-5ft deep and going was slow. Day 2 we went back to check out the Payne Creek trail. There was very little snow over on that side. I looked like snow was minimal up to 11,000ft except on north facing slopes. All in all the conditions were great but flexibility is required right now.

Lars,
We saw very similar tracks over on Payne creek but thought they were bear tracks. I was counting 5 pads on the tracks we saw (lions have 4 right?).

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

LCW this weekend on 05/23/2011 21:14:20 MDT Print View

Thanks for info guys.

Randy/Eric. I haven't decided where I'm going yet but if you see a guy being towed by a Golden Retriever, that will be me. Hope to see you on the trail.

Edited by rlnunix on 05/23/2011 21:14:55 MDT.

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Planning to be there this weekend on 05/23/2011 22:02:30 MDT Print View

Me and a friend are going to head in the counter clockwise direction (head north on the Goose Creek trail). Planning to camp in the vicinity of McCurdy Park and hike out over Hankins Pass back to the trailhead on Sunday. Was a little discouraged about the report of significant snow on the west side but it should be a bit better by the weekend. Might take the croc gaiters.

Christopher Wilke
(wilke7000)

Re: Planning to be there this weekend on 05/23/2011 23:01:45 MDT Print View

Posted some photos of my trip here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=48178&skip_to_post=409517#409517

I may be out again this weekend around Goose Creek.

David Heath
(snowguy) - F

Locale: Boulder Colorado
Lost Creek Wilderness on 05/24/2011 21:19:24 MDT Print View

Does anyone know about when the aspens start to leaf out in LCW say at around 9000-9500 ft? Im thinking of a 4 day loop up there around June 9th or a little later and would surely love to enjoy some of that spring green.

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Lost Creek Wilderness on 05/24/2011 23:49:05 MDT Print View

lost creek green

Hey David,

Here's a shot taken the second week of June in LCW a couple of years ago. The elevation was around 9000'.

BTW, like your new avatar. It makes you look scary.

David Heath
(snowguy) - F

Locale: Boulder Colorado
Lost Creek Wilderness on 05/27/2011 13:33:11 MDT Print View

Thanks Dondo I cant wait to get out there. Yeah, that avatar,scary mostly to myself and any small children who might be trolling BPL !

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Lost Creek Wilderness on 05/27/2011 16:38:43 MDT Print View

David, just back from 3 days in LCW. Aspen are just starting to leaf out. You should be hitting it just about right.

Christopher Wilke
(wilke7000)

Re: Re: Lost Creek Wilderness on 05/30/2011 21:37:03 MDT Print View

I saw the same thing as Dondo this weekend. Here's a teaser from the Goose Creek trail.

LCW 2

There were definitely some patches that haven't leafed out yet so early June should be golden (or green as it were).

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

LCW on 05/31/2011 08:59:04 MDT Print View

Christopher,

Which route did you take? We started off clockwise from Goose Creek TH around 1 on Saturday and went over Hankins Pass . After seeing how many cars were at the TH, I thought that would be the less crowded option and I'd pass everyone in the middle of the loop. Unfortunately, my back flared up overnight and I decided to head back out on Sunday. Too bad as the weather was so nice. Although it was extremely windy at my house Sunday night so probably there as well.

Christopher Wilke
(wilke7000)

Re: LCW on 05/31/2011 12:55:14 MDT Print View

Randy,
I had the same line of thought as you and decided to do the smaller ~20 mile loop clockwise. I made it to Goose Creek TH around 5:30 on Friday evening. I figured it would be crowded and sure enough I got one of the last "real" parking spots. I hiked in a couple miles and camped then stayed in Refrigerator Gultch the 2nd night. I saw a lot of monster packs getting hauled up to McCurdy park on my way down into Refrigerator Gulth. Not too many smiles! Overall the weather was excellent. There was some rain Saturday night but mostly sunny otherwise. I made it out around noon on Sunday and it was finally feeling like I expect for this time of year. Not much wind at that point either.

Sorry to hear about your back. Where did you end up camping Saturday night?

Chris

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Goose Creek TH Loop on 05/31/2011 13:48:35 MDT Print View

I ended up having to bail when my buddy's knee wasn't going to allow him to do the full loop and so ended up doing a day hike in RMNP instead. I may give it a go this weekend if I can find a partner.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

LCW on 05/31/2011 19:28:30 MDT Print View

Thanks Chris. I'm recovering from neck surgery and haven't been carrying a pack in order to let it heal as long as possible. Probably led to my lower back issue but I'll be fine.

Did you go through Lake Park? Due to Lars report I planned to avoid it and heard 2 people say it was impassable.

I only stayed one night but to maximize the fun I had 2 campsites. :) I first setup camp just after the first stream you come to when descending from Hankins pass which is after all the switchbacks and Lizard Rock TH. Found a good high and dry spot. Was there for about an hour and just about to cook dinner when I heard yelling and big branches being broken off trees a ways off. I know how that plays out so I quickly packed up and went another half mile down the trail and found a decent spot with darkness approaching. Not as nice a choice as the first as the mosquitoes proved. But good enough. Nice and quiet. I met two very nice couples with traditional gear and asked them about the climb to McCurdy Park. It wasn't the highlight of either couple's trip, that's for sure!

@Randy Martin

This weekend will be a great time to go. A ton of people did it last weekend so it shouldn't be crowded at all. But the trail is still well traveled if that makes a difference for going solo or not. Have fun!

Edited by rlnunix on 05/31/2011 19:30:04 MDT.

Peter Sustr
(czechxpress) - F - M

Locale: Boulder
LCW on 05/31/2011 21:22:20 MDT Print View

Good to hear the trails are mostly dry up there. I was suppose to go on a trip there with a buddy a while ago but, my buddy had a stroke recently so no go for that one.

Anyways, since we all seem to love LCW we should schedule a CO BPL trip there, we can all share some of our secret spots and plan a fun on/off trail trip some weekend. What ya think?

Edited by czechxpress on 05/31/2011 21:23:27 MDT.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

LCW trip on 06/01/2011 12:25:39 MDT Print View

I'd be in for a LCW BPL trip.

Christopher Wilke
(wilke7000)

Re: LCW on 06/01/2011 12:48:25 MDT Print View

Randy N,
I avoided Lake Park as well because of Lars' report and my experience two weekends ago. I met and hiked with another solo hiker at McCurdy Park who had made it through Lake Park. He said he was post holing pretty good on the North side but at least had some other holes to follow :)

Peter,
I think that's a great idea! I've been noticing a lot of CO BPLers on here lately and thought it would be fun to do something like the CA members have done. I'm down to help organize/plan. Maybe we talk offline more? Shoot me a PM if interested.

Chris

Nathan Gingles
(ginglesair) - F

Locale: USofA
Goose Creek on 06/01/2011 19:40:26 MDT Print View

I will be going on a day hike tomorrow up Goose Creek. I was hoping to do Bison Peak but sounds like there is quite a bit of snow up there and my hiking partner does not have boots. Anyway I would love to hear back if you guys plan a little outing sometime. I am also looking for people who can hike on Thursdays and Fridays as those are my weekends and I enjoy spending time in the outdoors with other people. I will let you know on the conditions when I return.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
LCW on 06/01/2011 20:47:50 MDT Print View

I'm off to LCW *next* weekend. Going to be a very short trip (maybe 15-20 miles total?) A buddy of mine (and father of two small children) was given an early Father's Day present to take off for the weekend (kind of! We can't leave until late Sat morning! :D)

Anyway, I'll have to give a report when I get back...

Yeah, and there are a lot of us on here from CO who love this place indeed! :)