Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Waterproofzipper, how to finish the ends?

Display Avatars Sort By:
edvin mellergÄrd
(Edvin) - F
Waterproofzipper, how to finish the ends? on 05/15/2011 13:16:58 MDT Print View

Hi,
I'm making a bivvy for alpineclimbing and I want a zipper in it, I'm gonna buy 6mm YKK Aquaguard by the meter but the place that sells it says it can't be used for separating zippers since no clamps are delivered with it. I call bullsh*t on that one and think it would be pretty simple to simply sew a piece of edgebinding or something around the end. The slider is selflocking anyway so I don't need a real finish.

Any reason why this wouldn't work? Or is there a better solution out there?

Ginger Allman
(gindavall) - F

Locale: Ozarks
Re: Waterproofzipper, how to finish the ends? on 05/15/2011 16:08:03 MDT Print View

The little end on a separating zipper does more than just finish off the end. It is necessary because it fits in with the slider in just the right way so that the teeth line up properly so that they'll zip up.

If you don't need a separating zipper, then you're correct. You can finish off the ends any way you want.

Edited by gindavall on 05/16/2011 07:55:16 MDT.

edvin mellergÄrd
(Edvin) - F
Waterproofzipper, how to finish the ends? on 05/16/2011 02:12:23 MDT Print View

Great to hear!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Waterproofzipper, how to finish the ends? on 05/16/2011 07:53:06 MDT Print View

To finish an end (to keep the zipper pull from coming off) you can just do about 20 turns of regular thread with a needle, by hand. Or heavier thread. Do enough stitches until the zipper pull won't go by it.