Adding traction to old sandals?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Al Nichols
(everready) - F

Locale: Sh!^^% Ohio
Adding traction to old sandals? on 05/15/2011 06:23:34 MDT Print View

Hi,

First post in the MYOG forum....
I have an old pair of generic "teva" sandals. They are pretty lightweight, about 9 oz per pair and I love the way they fit my feet. Alas, the traction on the bottom has worn down. I wanted to have them resoled and was told they could not be repaired. Also, I really didn't want to add any significant weight to them, i.e Vibram soles. I've also searched online for places to resole these but at $40.00, it isn't very cost effective. So, now I'm looking for a common, readily available, lightweight and durable material that I can cut to shape and glue to the bottoms of these. Any ideas?

TIA,
Al

Edited by everready on 05/15/2011 06:27:18 MDT.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Adding traction to old sandals? on 05/15/2011 06:35:15 MDT Print View

This might come in handy.

Edited by butuki on 05/15/2011 06:36:32 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Adding traction to old sandals? on 05/15/2011 12:31:31 MDT Print View

Shoe Goo is supposed to work in a case like that though I haven't personally done it

Ginger Allman
(gindavall) - F

Locale: Ozarks
Re: Adding traction to old sandals? on 05/15/2011 16:16:32 MDT Print View

Soling rubber is sold by the sheet. Search online for cobbler supplies. You can get many different sorts of tread patterns.

However to glue the new rubber onto the bottom of your old sandals you'll have to remove all traces of existing tread. You've got to have a flat surface to glue the new rubber to. Maybe a belt sander would work. It will be handy to trim the edges of the rubber after you've glued it to the sandal, too. That way you can get a professional looking edge.

The gold standard glue to use is Barge cement. Master cement is another brand of it. It's the stuff cobblers use.

Sometimes leather shops have cobbler supplies, too.

Mike W
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
Try sugru on 05/15/2011 18:34:23 MDT Print View

You could try Sugru and see if that works.

Www.sugru.com

Mike