They're back again: The lightest cathole trowels on the planet ! Titanium, two sizes
Display Avatars Sort By:
Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net
That's the way on 03/04/2012 12:53:39 MST Print View

I guess she was impressed

Can you dig it?

Edited by QiWiz on 09/25/2012 08:37:26 MDT.

Eric Dysart
(ewdysar) - F

Locale: SoCal
Just received my special combo deal on 03/05/2012 11:10:52 MST Print View

I received my special combo kit over the weekend. The "Big Dig" is weirdly light in my hand, though it's certainly not too big.

And the special deal was to add one of the Little Buck 2G saws, with a free tyvek envelope for the saw and save $5 over the price of buying the trowel and the saw seperately.

The saw is pretty neat, it goes together easy and should be excellent for making quick work of cutting firewood on the trail. While I was first putting it together on the kitchen counter, my wife walked in and asked "what's that?" Finishing the assembly, I proudly stated "a saw", she responded with "I thought you were trying to take less stuff, to make your pack lighter. I handed her the saw and she said "ohh, that is light, I guess it makes sense." I handed her the Big Dig, and she said "what is this made of?, it hardly weighs anything." She really doesn't care about most of my hiking gear, but I think that both of these items impressed even her.

And kudos to the new website, it made ordering easy and meant that I didn't have to wonder if I did my math right.

Thanks for making such cool products available

Edited by ewdysar on 03/05/2012 11:12:06 MST.

Kevin Hall
(ClassicMagger) - F
Big Dig... on 03/06/2012 13:15:14 MST Print View

I just sent you some funds for a Big Dig... I'm actually excited....about going in the woods.

Thanks,

-Kevin

j lan
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: Just received my special combo deal on 03/06/2012 13:58:51 MST Print View

I also want to give Daps to QiWiz for my combo.

Incredible tools! I won't ever feel guilty about packing a saw or a trowel again.

High five!

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Special offer still good for 6 more days . . . on 03/26/2012 11:26:41 MDT Print View

James - Thanks for the kind words.

Trowel plus saw "combo special" offer expires midnight PST on 3/31/12.

I'll be out of town from 3/28-4/1, but will be able to ship any combo specials you order on 4/2 or 4/3 when I'm back.

Can you dig it?

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Special Combo deal on FireFly stove PLUS Big Dig or Original trowel ! on 04/03/2012 11:33:53 MDT Print View

Details available on the website as well as easy as pie ordering. See QiWiz.net

Now you're cooking!

Can you dig it?

J H
(jlhilliker) - F
stove used with Esbit? on 04/03/2012 15:47:39 MDT Print View

Do you think you the stove could be used with an Esbit brick, in the case of wood being too wet to burn, or is the distance between the floor and pot too great too heat sufficiently? I would imagine you would need to use the solid notched floor plate if using a solid fuel brick like Esbit.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

What about other fuels like Esbit and alcohol for FireFly stove? on 04/04/2012 14:45:52 MDT Print View

Justin and others with multifuel stove interests: I am actively working on a multifuel option for the FireFly but its hard to do R&D when orders need to be fulfilled. In any event, you can expect that in 2-4 weeks there will be an option to get an UL Esbit and/or simple alcohol burner for the FireFly stove that will be suspended at just the right distance from your pot base, with heat concentrated and protected by an effective windscreen (which is not needed in woodburning mode). It looks like this option will be very light, possibly less than an ounce. Stay tuned. There is a FireFly stove thread on the Gear Deals forum and that's a better place to continue the discussion if you like, but I'll let you know when this option is reality rather than vaporware. ; )

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Special offer ends next week . . . on 04/26/2012 11:17:13 MDT Print View

Discounted price on either a Big Dig or Original titanium trowel when ordered at the same time as a FireFly stove.
Special will be available until May 1st.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Re: They're back again: The lightest cathole trowels on the planet ! Titanium, two sizes on 04/28/2012 02:22:18 MDT Print View

Curious...the edges look very sharp. Are they meant to be cutting instruments as well? I would want that thing lose in my pack if it has "ninja edges!"

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Not sharp but thin on 04/29/2012 16:11:40 MDT Print View

One of the key steps in making the trowels is to make sure they are not sharp, so as not to cut someone accidentally. However, they are thin enough to 'cut' through small roots and turf with ease. Can you dig it?

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Special discount offer on trowel combo available for just one more week on 05/21/2012 08:13:48 MDT Print View

Don't miss out on the opportunity to get both the lightest cathole trowel AND the lightest 15" buck saw on the planet at about a 10% discount. QiWiz.net has all the information. Offer good until midnight, Memorial Day, EST!

Can you dig it?

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Gear of the week! on 06/13/2012 08:47:46 MDT Print View

Just found out that a PCT thru-hiking couple really like their Big Dig. Thanks for the compliment. Check out their blog at:

http://alongerwalk.tumblr.com/post/22722805849/gear-of-the-week-the-big-dig-cathole-trowel

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

July 4th Special Combo Deal on 06/29/2012 17:45:59 MDT Print View

Until midnight, PST, on July 4th, you can get a great 10% off deal on a titanium trowel with a Little Buck saw. Don't miss out on the opportunity to get both the lightest cathole trowel AND the lightest 15" buck saw on the planet. QiWiz.net has all the information. if you want to get the larger 24" MEGA Buck saw, contact me and I'll give you a similar discount.

If not familiar with my trowels, you can read a recent review at SectionHiker.com

Can you dig it?

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Upcoming trail time; avoid delays! on 08/17/2012 10:06:10 MDT Print View

I'll be on trail from 8/30/12 through 9/15/12.

Gear ordered in next week (through 8/24) will be mailed out before I go. ; )

After that, you may have to wait until the week of 9/17 to get your gear : (

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

BPL community special offer on 09/17/2012 14:47:05 MDT Print View

Order any two pieces of gear as long as one of them is a trowel, and I'll give you a 10% PayPal refund!
So, thats's a trowel and a stove, a trowel and a saw, or even two trowels.
To get the refund, mention "BPL SPECIAL" in PayPal message field at time of purchase.
Offer good through 9/30/2012 only.

Can you dig it?

Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Locale: Midwest
I can dig it...and saw it. on 09/24/2012 16:15:03 MDT Print View

Just ordered at Little Buck and a Big Dig. Can't wait to use them next month!

With a combo like that, one could probably call themselves a "Log Master". Cut'em up and lay'em to rest! HA!

Edited by f8less on 09/24/2012 16:15:45 MDT.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Can you improve on perfection? ; ) on 11/25/2012 08:35:11 MST Print View

You betcha! Just because you make the lightest cathole trowel on the planet doesn't mean it can't be made even better.

I'm always interested in improving my designs. Credit to Stephen Barber (see his Big Dig mod thread in Gear forum) for raising the issue of a more comfortable handle end. Credit to Ken for giving me the idea of adding more layers of rubber coating. But I decided to add extra just at the very end of the handle (so as not to add weight), and I like the results a lot. See the photos. As of today, all trowels I ship will have this "handle-end enhancement" treatment. Added weight is negligible. The average Big Dig even with this beefed up handle end still weighs just 16 grams. Can you dig it?

handle1

handle2

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Re: Can you improve on perfection? ; ) on 11/25/2012 08:59:07 MST Print View

Excellent! And two grams lighter than the Sugru mod! Your clever adaptations of suggested mods are why I enjoy interacting with you! Thanks for the honor!

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Santa-time trowel special on 12/05/2012 15:05:10 MST Print View

During December, stuff your Christmas hiking stockings and those of friends and family with the lightest cathole trowels on the planet.

The more you get, the more you save . . .

Can you dig it?

Details at http://qiwiz.net/specials.html