Forum Index » Gear Deals » They're back again: The lightest cathole trowels on the planet ! Titanium, two sizes

Display Avatars Sort By:
Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Zia products on sale as well on 12/05/2012 16:48:17 MST Print View

I want to remind everyone that all of my Zia products are on sale as well, through December 31.

Details on this thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=69161

So when you buy your fine Big Digs, don't forget to click on "Stoves," then "Accessory options," to find my products on Rob's QiWiz.net web site.

You can't have enough titanium stuff!

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net
Diggin' the New Year with a BPL only special! on 01/14/2013 11:14:55 MST Print View

If you are hankering for a titanium cathole trowel and Santa forgot to put it in your stocking, I'll rebate 10% of your PayPal purchase back to you - just send a message that includes the code "BPL10" when you order one or more Big Digs or Original trowels through the end of January. QiWiz.net is the place to go.

Jim Arzigian
(Renais) - M
Wind screen on 01/14/2013 12:06:20 MST Print View

QiWiz,
Any more news on when the canister stove wind screen will be on your site for sale?

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Windscreen update on 01/14/2013 12:53:10 MST Print View

At this point I'm leaning towards not selling canister stove windscreens. I have several designs that work for me and I finally have the titanium foil I would need as of a few days ago. However, I'm concerned about user safety, given that people don't always read and/or follow directions, given that I cannot possibly test my system on all of the canister burners that are available, and given that literally ALL the canister stove manufacturers recommend never to use any kind of windscreen due to the danger of overheating a canister risking canister explosion. Though the risk seems small to me, I certainly don't want anyone to be injured using gear I have sold them.
However, I will be selling 4 sizes of titanium windscreens for alcohol and Esbit stoves on my site fairly soon. Give me another week and you'll see them there.
One thing I might do is post pictures or videos of what I have come up with, so that others who want to use my canister stove windscreen designs at their own risk can do so.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

When even a Big Dig is not enough . . . on 02/12/2013 12:23:37 MST Print View

MEGA Dig to the rescue.

I have had some requests for custom larger trowels. For example, there are some folks that use small wood burning stoves to heat tents and tipis in the winter, who wanted a light tool to remove and manipulate coals and hot ash in these stoves.

Then there are those who just want something even bigger than a Big Dig ; )
The MEGA Dig is 8.5 inches long and weighs 0.9 oz.
Big Dig for comparison is 7.25 inches long and is less than 0.6 oz.

Anyway, you now have 3 size choices for your next titanium trowel purchase at QiWiz.net

Can you dig it?

Trowels3

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

MEGA March Sale is ON! on 03/01/2013 08:20:17 MST Print View

During March, 2013, buy any trowel OR wood burning stove and I'll rebate back to you 10% of your entire order, including any additional items you want to get at the same time. To get the discount, visit my Specials page and add the discount to your order for a penny.

And you thought March Madness was not related to backpacking!

Can you dig it?

Edited by QiWiz on 03/01/2013 08:21:02 MST.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

March Madness Sale has one week to go . . . on 03/24/2013 05:51:30 MDT Print View

Only one week left to take advantage of the best deal I have ever offered:

Buy any trowel or wood burning stove, and I rebate 10% of your entire gear order back to you. New MEGA Dig trowel and FireFly XL stove qualify.
(International extra shipping excluded)

Can you dig it?

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

June "Add a Penny" Sale in effect until the end of the month on 06/13/2013 09:42:32 MDT Print View

To get a 10% discount on the rest of your order, buy any trowel and add a penny by going to my Specials Page and adding that option to your cart. Rebate will only be given if this option is added.

Can you dig it?

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Secret Sign on 06/14/2013 20:04:22 MDT Print View

I think these should be the universal membership card to the International Secret Society of Gram Weenies. And yes, I admit to having one too.

When I see someone hiking by in an Arc Blast in the Sierra I intend to silently wave my Titanium spade in greeting and hope my secret brother or sister will do the same in return. No need for a secret handshake, when you have these.

Edited by millonas on 06/14/2013 20:07:13 MDT.

Brian Mix
(Aggro) - M

Locale: Western slope, Sierra Nevada
I'm on the fence for ordering, on 06/18/2013 20:48:49 MDT Print View

Can you advise of material thickness and heat treating specs?

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Super light, but still super strong on 06/19/2013 10:09:43 MDT Print View

The MEGA Dig trowels are 33% thicker than the Big Dig and Original trowels. However, the strength of the trowels comes from their shape, not the thickness of material, which is quite thin.

The shaping of the trowels is the result of a multi-step heat treatment, developed with lots of trial and error.

Even though not actually sharp, the thin profile makes easy work of cutting through small roots or meadow sod. The trowels are strong enough to pry small stones out of your hole as you dig.

I've literally had not a single person ask me to take a trowel back because they thought it was not light enough or strong enough. You will not be disappointed.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Add a penny August sale in effect until the end of the month! on 08/18/2013 15:54:10 MDT Print View

You can get rebates during the rest of August on any size trowel and/or FireFly or FireFly XL stove. Make sure to "add a penny" on the Special Deals page to activate your rebate.

QiWiz.net has all the info . . .

Edited by QiWiz on 08/18/2013 16:02:02 MDT.

John Hillyer
(TrNameLucky) - MLife
Re: I'm on the fence for ordering, on 08/18/2013 16:22:57 MDT Print View

I have had the original in my kit for about 1500 miles of hiking the AT and it works great. Thanks to Pennsylvania rocks, my titanium tent stakes are all bent up but this little trowel looks like it did when it was brand new. Weight: 11.8 grams.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

November sale on any size trowel - Can you Dig It ? on 11/09/2013 08:57:21 MST Print View

Thanks John for the nice comments. I've had a couple folks have to replace a misplaced trowel, but no reports of breakage have ever come my way.

During November, you can get more than 10% off any size titanium trowel or a regular FireFly stove. Callin' it a FIRE SALE (get it?). Just go to the Specials page for all the details.

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - F

Locale: Grand Canyon State
RE: November sale on any size trowel - Can you Dig It ? on 11/09/2013 14:36:50 MST Print View

Well, that was *just* the incentive I needed. Digging it already...Payment sent! :~)

Edited to say -- received, with thanks!!!

Edited by Wildtowner on 11/20/2013 17:50:09 MST.

Wally M.
(gator) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Don't leave home without one! on 11/10/2013 13:29:44 MST Print View

Great product Rob.
Got a Big Dig several years back. Still going strong in Sierra soil.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

January SALE - 10% off of 2 or more trowels !! on 01/22/2014 07:48:05 MST Print View

Go to my Specials page to order any combination of sizes (including 2 of the same size) and you will get 10% off 2 or more trowels of any size.

Christopher Gilmore
(chrisjgilmore) - F - MLife

Locale: New Almaden
They're back again: The lightest cathole trowels on the planet ! Titanium, two sizes on 02/17/2014 13:04:24 MST Print View

Just sent my paypal for a big dig.