Forum Index » Chaff » California State Parks slated for closure

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
California State Parks slated for closure on 05/13/2011 14:58:23 MDT Print View

Here are the proposed closures:
http://my.calparks.org/site/PageServer?pagename=2011ParkClosures

It's very sad that we can't raise $11m to keep these parks open when the city of Sacramento was easily able to raise about half of that amount in short order to keep the local basketball team around for a year.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: California State Parks slated for closure on 05/13/2011 15:05:01 MDT Print View

China Camp, Castle Crags, and Portola Redwoods are really nice spots for family camping (even if it's not backpacking). Tomales Bay SP is another wonderful area for family use. Hopefully this will not mean the closure of Heart's Desire Beach as well. Henry Coe is our largest SP. Castle Rock and Mono Lake offer some of the most unique geology in any of our SP's... all soon to be closed up. I hate to see a single park closure due to the budget, but these are especially sad to see go (if it comes to that).

Justin Reigle
(jreigle) - F - M

Locale: SF Bay area
Re: California State Parks slated for closure on 05/13/2011 15:17:01 MDT Print View

It's a shame. Though I can't help but feel inclined to believe this is some kind of political stunt (e.g. we had the same threats last year, as well). $11m is a drop in the bucket in terms of the state's financial woes, especially considering how widely used and loved these parks are.

Prop 21 had some promise, but the cynic in me assumes those funds would've been fleeced and we'd still hear these same lines from the politicos.