Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » gluten-free, dairy-free, peanut-free, tomatoe-potatoe free

Display Avatars Sort By:
Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Re: Re: soy on 05/15/2011 09:48:38 MDT Print View

The Tamari brand I use IS a lower sodium version and gluten-free. No different sodium-wise than the low sodium soy sauce you mention at 710 mg per tablespoon.

Here's the link to the Tamari Sauce to back up my comment.

Really the main difference is that Tamari is a bit thicker and richer in flavor - sodium-wise... not really much different than soy sauce. That said, if one can't have soy it still wouldn't work.

James Landro
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: Quinoa pasta on 05/15/2011 10:33:34 MDT Print View

Diane, I actually prefer the texture and flavor of the quinoa pasta to any other pasta than homemade. I stick to the spirals and shells though, for vermicelli I would probably pick a rice noodle over the quinoa noodles.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
Daiya Cheese on 05/15/2011 13:04:13 MDT Print View

Laurie, do you find you can just carry the Daiya Cheese without problems? They made it sound like it goes bad really quickly. Does drying help, and have you tried it?

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: San-J on 05/15/2011 13:28:39 MDT Print View

San-J is pretty dang expensive - that is a real consideration when buying new products. It isn't hard to find though.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Daiya Cheese on 05/15/2011 13:32:24 MDT Print View

The issue behind any grated cheese is it will dry out and or turn bad a lot faster than blocks. For an overnighter it would be fine to carry though. And avoid putting hands in the bag, sprinkle it out. Just treat it like regular dairy cheese.

Btw, the saturated fat in the Daiya is from the coconut oil. There are two camps on whether or not that is considered healthy.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: soy on 05/15/2011 14:31:49 MDT Print View

Edited by annapurna on 05/16/2011 10:34:21 MDT.

Paul Siegel
(PaulSiegel)

Locale: Southern Appalachians
Soy on 05/15/2011 15:27:35 MDT Print View

It should be noted that soy is a legume...and legumes are inflammatory (which is why your naturopath advised you to avoid peanuts, which are a legume). So, you know, you may want to avoid that if you're trying to avoid inflammatory agents.

I also follow the Paleo diet and have struggled with what to eat while camping, I just try and get close. Peanuts are easy to avoid, dairy and gluten are much harder. I've never tried but I imagine avoiding nightshades is nigh on impossible. Good luck to you, let us know what the final menu is.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

legumes on 05/15/2011 16:16:06 MDT Print View

It's funny you should say that legumes are inflammatory, she was encouraging me to eat beans as protein. So, I found some dehydrated black bean soup in bulk that is actually really tasty, and I'm sure I'll figure out something with that.

This isn't the first time that I've read about alternative diets, and it's really funny, what one person says is bad another person says is good! Type O's aren't supposed to eat strawberries and tomatoes are good, yet if you go by Metabolic Typing, strawberries are fine, but tomatoes are not on the beneficial list for a Parasympathetic Dominant type. And what's the deal with nightshades--how come one has to avoid tomatoes and potatoes, but no one targets peppers, which are also part of the nightshade family.

It gets to the point that I just throw my hands in the air and ignore the details. All I can do is eat it or not eat it, and see how it makes me feel.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: legumes on 05/15/2011 16:24:13 MDT Print View

Hehhehh!!!! I so understand that one. The only thing I follow religiously with my eating is the no artificial coloring rule. Everything else is flexible. Flexibility keeps one sane ;-)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: gluten-free, dairy-free, peanut-free, tomatoe-potatoe free on 05/16/2011 10:15:32 MDT Print View

Check out Zing bars. Discovered them in REI the other day. Very tasty, 50 grams, 200 calories, 10 grams protein, and wheat/gluten/soy free. A couple of them are dairy free as well. Lots of organic ingredients. One of the tastiest bars I've tried yet.

And no, I don't own stock in the company!

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

KIND Bars on 05/16/2011 15:59:37 MDT Print View

I'm rather digging the KIND bars, although I have to be careful to avoid peanuts right now in them. The Almond and Coconut, and Walnut and Date bars have been particularly nummy.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

post-hike wrap up on 06/03/2011 15:31:51 MDT Print View

So, back from my hike, and not too bad from a dietary stand-point. Some things were really good, others not so great. The Quinoa cereal I tried to substitute for my oatmeal was not a favorite. I don't think it gave me the energy I'm used to to start a hike from, oatmeal definitely works better for me. Not crazy about the flavor, either. I added brown sugar, Earth Balance spread, toasted pecans, dried blueberries, cranberries and cherries, with cinnamon to it, and it was ok, but not great. Dinners worked out better--I used Sarah's Cranberry Chicken with Rice one night, having found a gluten-free stock concentrate from Packitgourmet.com. That was yummy. I tried her Thai Peanut noodles, substituting home-dried rice macaroni and almond butter for the noodles and peanut butter, and adding freeze-dried chicken, spinach and carrots, and roasted cashews. Not quite as good, I think if I had used tahini along with the almond butter, or if I could have found cashew butter it might have been better, but certainly good enough to eat and get along with. I carried gluten-free peanut-free bars, homemade jerky and peanut-free trail mix for snacks, with gluten-free salami and bread for lunches. Gluten-free bread is very dry, not sure I'll do that again. I also found gluten free dehydrated black bean soup mix that makes a great dip/spread if you don't add as much water.

So, thank you all for your help during my pre-hike freak-out. 4 more weeks to go eating like this, then hopefully I'll get to at least add tomatoes back!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: post-hike wrap up on 06/03/2011 19:10:35 MDT Print View

And you didn't starve ;-)

Cashew butter is soooo good.

Dawn Anderson
(PaleoMealsToGo) - F
Re: gluten-free, dairy-free, peanut-free, tomatoe-potatoe free on 11/14/2013 20:15:09 MST Print View

Hi Diane,
I know your post has been out there a while but I wanted to let you know there is a place you can actually buy a compete freeze-dried PALEO meal.

My son is a backpacker, CrossFitTM athlete, marathon runner, and a Paleo Diet follower. He had been searching and searching for a freeze dried backpacker meal that adhered to the Paleo Diet guidelines and was never able to find one. He also runs marathons and works at a remote job site where he can't always fix meals, so he often needs a meal that is quick, wholesome and Paleo. As you probably have noticed, most of the ready-made, freeze-dried meals out there are full of ingredients not allowed on the Paleo Diet. When he couldn't find one, he decided to make one! He is an engineer in Denver and has an entrepreneurial mind set so he suggested we start a business manufacturing freeze-dried Paleo meals. So, I have spent the last three months starting a company to do just that!

Our website is www.PaleoMealsToGo.com and I thought you might be willing to take a look at it, give us some feedback and maybe even try a meal. We are a small company, it's just the two of us, and my son works full-time at another job, so any help you could give us as far as promoting our product would be greatly appreciated.

I hope this information is helpful.
Dawn Anderson
www.PaleoMealsToGo.com

PS: I wrote to BPL and received permission from Ryan to make these posts so all the readers of BPL will benefit!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Paleo on 11/14/2013 22:09:55 MST Print View

Dawn,

I sent you an email via your contact page on the website.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

trying meals on 11/15/2013 20:28:57 MST Print View

Sure, Dawn, I'd love to try some. I'm finding that not only do I need to make meals for myself backpacking, but if I'm at a professional conference, life is easier if I take breakfast and lunches--as long as I have access to a microwave, I'm set.

I'll check out your web-site and contact you through there. I've enjoyed making some of my own meals, but it would be fantastic to have a few things I can just pick up and go!