Forum Index » GEAR » Mini-Bic lighter

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Mini-Bic lighter on 05/12/2011 18:26:57 MDT Print View

I think the Mini-Bic cigarette lighter is very popular in this crowd.

Is there another butane lighter that is better or weighs fewer ounces?

--B.G.--

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Mini-Bic lighter on 05/12/2011 19:38:01 MDT Print View

Bob, maybe this will do?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Mini-Bic lighter on 05/12/2011 19:52:26 MDT Print View

That must be a Maxi-Zippo.

I had in mind something more in the realm of 5-8 grams.

--B.G.--

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Re: Mini-Bic lighter on 05/12/2011 19:59:41 MDT Print View

The mini Bic has become a standard. It works, it is easily purchased, and light. I found a piezoelectric version by Bic, the "thumb friendly" Bic. Scripto makes a mini too. Personally, I find the larger ones are easier to handle.

From there you get into really expensive and heavier windproof or micro-blowtorch models. I would go for fire starting redundancy before hauling a heavier lighter. The K&M match case with compass and the Light My Fire mini firesteel are my favorites. I have a spy capsule jammed full of Tinder Quick tabs on my survival keychain too.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Mini-Bic lighter on 05/12/2011 20:03:12 MDT Print View

" I found a piezoelectric version by Bic, the "thumb friendly" Bic. "

I saw those at the store, but I didn't know how reliable they are or what they weigh.

I know there are some tiny lighters that use lighter fluid, but I prefer butane.

--B.G.--

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mini-Bic lighter on 05/13/2011 00:43:16 MDT Print View

> " I found a piezoelectric version by Bic, the "thumb friendly" Bic. "
> I saw those at the store, but I didn't know how reliable they are or what they weigh.

I would be inclined to rely somewhat on the Bic brand itself.

Cheers

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mini-Bic lighter on 05/13/2011 00:58:40 MDT Print View

Piezoelectric sparkers have a bad enough track record on a quality stove with a warranty. On a cheap lighter, I don't know if I could expect even that much.

Should that develop... a lighter that won't spark isn't much good for anything.

--B.G.--

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
bic on 05/13/2011 02:43:23 MDT Print View

I'm a bic mini user myself. Haven't found a replacement. My old complaint use to be that the were hard to light at times. Especially if my hands were wet. Then I read Mike C's new backpacking tips book and realized that I could rip off the childsafety sliver of metal that partially covers the flintwheel. Ahhhhh so much easier now!

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
bic on 05/13/2011 03:19:37 MDT Print View

I use bics, too. I would avoid the peizo ones due to poor track records with failures. Only a fire steel, or, mini fire steel is lighter, but, requires a bit more fiddling and dry tinder. There was a thread on *carefulllly* sanding the parts down, to save a gram or two...not sure it is worth it.

kevperro .
(kevperro) - F

Locale: Monroe, WA
Bic User on 05/13/2011 08:05:07 MDT Print View

I carry the mini-Bic and a backup. I've never had one fail to light so I figure two is plenty of fire-making security.

Don Meredith
(donmeredith) - F

Locale: SouthEast
Mini-Bic lighter on 05/13/2011 08:15:14 MDT Print View

Another benefit of the Mini-Bic is its ability to function in altitude change. I learned the hard way that the torch style lighters are more sensitive to air fuel mix on a trip to Mt. Mitchell (6,600ft). The torch lighter wouldn't light at that elevation but the mini-bic did. I tested the torch again at lower elevation and it worked fine. After reading more on that style of lighter I learned that you may have to adjust the mixture if your lighter has that feature (mine didn't). I only carry the mini-bic and a back-up now.

Mark Ryan
(Sixguns01)

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mini-Bic lighter on 05/13/2011 08:34:47 MDT Print View

I found a piezoelectric version by Bic, the "thumb friendly" Bic. "

I saw those at the store, but I didn't know how reliable they are or what they weigh.

I know there are some tiny lighters that use lighter fluid, but I prefer butane.

--B.G.--

I use these. The weight isn't much higher. Also, I dropped my in very wet mud and it started after two tries. The regular lighters take much longer to dry and light.

Tyson Marshall
(sheepNgeese) - MLife

Locale: Ventura County (formerly PNW)
Titanium Split Pea Lighter on 05/13/2011 09:08:34 MDT Print View

Hey Bob,

Are you familiar with the split pea and peanut lighters from County Comm? A titanium split pea lighter weighs in at 14.3 grams...

They are waterproof, extremely durable, and zippo-like...

Check 'em out...

Edited by sheepNgeese on 05/13/2011 09:13:24 MDT.

Lee Fitler
(tdilf) - F
lighters on 05/13/2011 10:29:38 MDT Print View

Those peanut and split pea lighters are way cool.

chris kersten
(xanadu) - F

Locale: here
What color Bic? on 05/13/2011 11:17:39 MDT Print View

2 mini bics on every trip I have went on. Never had one fail but I always figure one will run out. The question for me to ask everyone is- what color do you prefer? Are some colors easier to see the fluid levels? I have been meaning to compare them to see.

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Re: What color Bic? on 05/13/2011 11:27:09 MDT Print View

Interesting question--never thought about it. I have a green one and a purple one--looking just now, the green is easier to see through.

Bright colors would be harder to lose. I like two different colors, so I can remember which one I'm using, and which one is the backup. White would probably be easiest to see through...

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: What color Bic? on 05/13/2011 12:40:20 MDT Print View

In a dark closet with a headlamp behind them, it easy to see the fuel level regardless of color.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Titanium Split Pea Lighter on 05/13/2011 14:44:43 MDT Print View

"County Comm? A titanium split pea lighter weighs in at 14.3 grams..."

That is heavier than a mini-bic.

Heavier is a bad word with me.

--B.G.--

Tyson Marshall
(sheepNgeese) - MLife

Locale: Ventura County (formerly PNW)
Re: Re: Titanium Split Pea Lighter on 05/13/2011 15:08:19 MDT Print View

"That is heavier than a mini-bic.

Heavier is a bad word with me."

Perhaps you'd find, that its multi-purpose-usefulness-waterproofness is worth the 3 grams. It could be used for: a waterproof container (pills?) or a MICRO titanium mug w/ lid.. :)

Or carry 1/1261 of a gallon less water to make up for the 3 grams... or something like that :)

Do you typically take two mini-bics?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Titanium Split Pea Lighter on 05/13/2011 15:12:23 MDT Print View

"Do you typically take two mini-bics?"

Never.

--B.G.--