Mountainfitter.com Changes and New Products
Display Avatars Sort By:
Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Locale: LawsonEquipment.com
Mountainfitter.com Changes and New Products on 05/12/2011 12:58:48 MDT Print View

Hello Everyone,

I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to write this but I wanted to let everyone know about a few changes taking place with my business and website. A few weeks back I decided to change my business name from Mountainfitter to Lawson Outdoor Equipment. Most people currently use my personal name rather then my business name when refering to one of my products so I decided it made the most sense moving forward. The Mountainfitter.com website redirects to my new site LawsonEquipment.com so you should have no trouble accessing the new site.

Another change that will be taking place is I have decided to stop selling outside products and refocus my attention on building my own gear. I am working on a tarp line which will feature four tarps. Two backpacking tarps and two hammock tarps. All the tarps will use a new reflective material. The material has a yellowish green (chartreuse) topside and a reflective bottomside. The material is a CTF3 cuben fiber material that weighs .81oz per square yard. This material is very similar in strength to the standard .75oz CT2K.08 that other companies use but it has a reflective metalized film on the bottom side. The reflective nature of the material helps to reflect sunlight so you don't roast when its hot out and helps to reflect your body heat so you don't freeze when its cold out. The tarps are currently being built on an order basis so they can take up to a week to ship once ordered, but once production gets up to speed the tarps will be instock ready to ship. If you are interested in one of my tarps please send me an email and ask for an expected ship date.

Here are two photos of two different tarp models:

The FastPacker 9' long x 9' wide at front x 7' wide at rear, cat cut ridgeline and edges, 7.9oz, $275.00
Lawson Equipment FastPacker Cuben Fiber CTF3 Tarp

The FlatCat 9' long x 9' wide with a flat ridgeline and cat cut edges. 9.7oz, $275.00
Lawson Equipment FlatCat Cuben Fiber CTF3 Tarp

LawsonEquipment.com

Edited by Mountainfitter on 05/12/2011 13:05:56 MDT.

brent driggers
(cadyak) - MLife

Locale: southwest georgia
Lawson Equipment on 05/12/2011 13:28:14 MDT Print View

Everything is looking sweet Lawson. I got your Email update. Love the tarps.
Best of Luck Dude. Ill be on your list soon I hope for that flat tarp.
p.s.
I got the new ti-stakes and they are super bad! Love the smaller bend radius and diameter.
So much easier to push.

Edited by cadyak on 05/12/2011 13:39:06 MDT.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Mountainfitter.com Changes and New Products on 05/12/2011 13:30:01 MDT Print View

Looking great Lawson, and the name change seems like a good move to me. I'm over all the companies being named "light this or that", or after a random geographic region or mountain, etc. Using your name ties your reputation directly to you, and I think imparts a certain vibe of responsibility and seriousness.

Unfortunately, Javan Gear just doesn't sound as cool or professional as Lawson Equipment. =\

Corey Downing
(hardcorey) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Hammock Tarps on 05/12/2011 13:33:24 MDT Print View

When do you plan on having hammock models available for order? Those tarps you have posted look nice. Would be interested to see some info on how effective the extra reflective barrier is.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Thanks on 05/12/2011 13:47:08 MDT Print View

Hi Brent,
Sounds good and I am glad you like the stakes..

Hi Javan,
I think using your name would work just as good as mine. You should go with it.

Hi Corey,
I will have the 3 season hex using the new material on my site by the end of next week. It has an 11' ridgeline, 7' edges and is 9' wide and weighs about 9.25oz. The price will be $275 as well.

Edited by Mountainfitter on 05/12/2011 13:49:24 MDT.

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
LOE tarps on 05/12/2011 13:54:28 MDT Print View

The tarps look good Lawson. I've not seen that version of cuben before so I will be interested to see how folks like it. Can think of many times I've sat under the tarp looking for a shady spot only to feel like I was in a sauna. Looking forward to seeing more of the hammock tarps. Is, perhaps, the other hammock tarp a 4 seasoner with doors and a 12' RL? Cuz if it is....

Edited by BER on 05/12/2011 13:57:37 MDT.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

4 season hammock tarp on 05/12/2011 14:29:51 MDT Print View

I know the feeling of sweating like a Tijuana street walker under a translucent cuben fiber tarp and thats the main reason I switched to this new material. I would say it blocks about 90% of the suns rays. Think a big shade tree that you can carry.

The last hammock tarp is the 4 season model. It has an 11' ridge line, 9' wide, 14'long edges, with "doors" on each end. The weight is around 14.5oz. I sold quite a few of these in the past and they have been well liked. The weigh about 14.5oz and cost $375.

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
hammock tarp on 05/12/2011 14:50:28 MDT Print View

"I sold quite a few of these in the past and they have been well liked."

Yes, I tried hard to get one of those early tarps commissioned, but unfortunately you were very busy with other projects at the time. That's OK though b/c I moved on to bridge hammocks and I need a little longer RL (ie 12') to get the full suspension (apex to apex) underneath.

Currently using an OES 12', which I like a lot, but would prefer full coverage that is lighter. I will continue to watch with interest...

Edited by BER on 05/12/2011 14:51:42 MDT.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: hammock tarp on 05/12/2011 16:13:16 MDT Print View

nice looking hammock roof. dont forget to mention that sleeping under cuben with a full moon is like being inside a lightbulb - well done, amigo.

"Unfortunately, Javan Gear just doesn't sound as cool or professional as Lawson Equipment. =\"
the answer to your dilemma lies in your product range. just start roasting your own beans, and selling them for a reasonable cost (say $12 @ 1lb.) and then you can call your business:

Java 'n Gear

;)

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 05/12/2011 16:14:51 MDT.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: hammock tarp on 05/12/2011 18:22:52 MDT Print View

I really like the idea of using aluminized cuben fiber. Just last weekend a thru hiker asked me why this didn't exist already. I couldn't come up with a good reason even though it made a lot of sense.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Re: hammock tarp on 05/13/2011 23:31:54 MDT Print View

Ah don't tempt me with the simple life Mike.. I'm too much of a masochist. Plus, in my town, there's a local roaster for every 10 families.. ;)

Although my family does still own a cafetal (coffee farm) in Costa Rica.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

FlatCat Instock on 05/16/2011 15:05:51 MDT Print View

I have one flatcat in-stock ready to ship and will have four fastpackers built and ready to ship by the middle of the week.

Thanks,
Lawson

Edited by Mountainfitter on 05/16/2011 15:22:10 MDT.

Jarod Fleming
(flemdawg1) - F

Locale: SE US
Site is blocked on 05/16/2011 15:37:36 MDT Print View

Maybe I've been doing too much gear shopping from work, but I get this message whenever I try to go to the new website:

This Websense category is filtered: Potentially Damaging Content. Sites in this category may pose a security threat to network resources or private information, and are blocked by your organization.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Not Sure on 05/16/2011 16:21:25 MDT Print View

I am not sure why it would say that. Maybe someone that knows more about website can give me some feedback.. In the mean time try Mountainfitter.com and it should redirect you.

Thanks for the heads up.

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Locale: NEOH
Websense on 05/16/2011 16:28:27 MDT Print View

Real quick 30,000 foot overview of Websense (I employ the same at our office) -- it is web filtering software that allows a company to define which types of websites they want their employees to view through the company's Internet connection. No one has the time to check out every website, so this is done by categories which are more easily identifiable as business-related (e.g. customer/vendor websites) or personal-related (e.g. outdoor sports shopping websites). Depending on the company, these categories are then blocked or unblocked to manage the employees' productivity. I can check ours to see what category your website is be set as by Websense if you like.

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Locale: NEOH
Checked on 05/16/2011 16:38:24 MDT Print View

OK, my curiosity got to me. I checked out Websense's categories for your websites and they are classified as follows:

mountainfitter.com -- Shopping
lawsonequipment.com -- Potentially Damaging Content

Not really sure how you get that last one changed as I am sure more then a few companies block websites classified as 'Potentially Damaging Content'. Websense should eventually change it on their own and re-categorize it appropriately once a live person in their website categorization department reviews you site. You might be able to petition them somehow through www.websense.com . We usually just change the category of a website that is mis-categorized locally on our copy of Websense, but that won't help you with the masses. Of course, I am not sure how many people are really going to run into this problem since they should really be accessing your website from their home Internet connection and not at work (get back to work! Sorry, my inner IT coming out). Hope this info helps.

Joel F
(jfen1) - F

Locale: Western NY
suggest@websense.com on 05/16/2011 17:03:32 MDT Print View

You may submit your new URL to suggest@websense.com and a Websense researcher will analyze the site and change the category.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Thats not good on 05/16/2011 19:03:23 MDT Print View

Thanks for checking for me.. I wonder if it has to do with the site being new???

Joel F
(jfen1) - F

Locale: Western NY
That's correct... on 05/16/2011 20:58:56 MDT Print View

Your site is new and unknown to websense, so it comes up as "Potentially Damaging Content" as it is not in their database and unknown to them. Send your URL to them Lawson and they should take care of it for you. As mentioned above, no worries. People can just visit your site from home instead of while at work and will get to it just fine.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Introductory Sale on 05/17/2011 12:37:34 MDT Print View

To boost sales I have decided to offer these tarps for a limited time at $225.00 each. Think of this as an introductory sale. This offer is good on all my new tarps will only last for about a week.

Thanks,
Lawson