Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Recommend some day hikes in Shenendoah
Display Avatars Sort By:
Barry Pollock
(Barry1492) - F

Locale: Media
Recommend some day hikes in Shenendoah on 05/12/2011 10:58:00 MDT Print View

Hey, my wife and I want to do some day hiking with the dogs and camp over night. Because of the dogs, Old Rag is out. Any other good recommendations? I woud like to do probably 6+ hours (book time) each day. Vistas and/or water falls are good.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Recommend some day hikes in Shenendoah on 05/12/2011 11:06:52 MDT Print View

There are a number of backpacking meetups in the NoVA area, I'd recommend joining a couple. You'd not only meet other local backpackers, you'd get an opportunity to see all the various trips that are planned and, really, the plethora of choices you have for backpacking in the area. MidAtlantic Backpackers and The Washington Backpackers Meetup Group.

And, FWIW, Old Rag is highly overrated.

Edited by idester on 05/12/2011 11:07:22 MDT.

Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
Re: Recommend some day hikes in Shenendoah on 05/12/2011 11:19:55 MDT Print View

PATC publishes a book of circuit hikes in SNP. Highly recommended.

carl becker
(carlbecker) - F

Locale: Northern Virginia
Re: Recommend some day hikes in Shenendoah on 05/12/2011 12:55:33 MDT Print View

Overall run and riprap are two I have done over the years, falls and pools. My favorite is Dry run,small and hidden, which requires some bushwacking. I just purchased a set of maps and looked for waterfalls to hike to. It will be up or down and what ever mileage you decide on. Old Rag is nice in the fall on a weekday but still has heavy use plus I guess no dogs.