Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Stove's fuel for South America trip
Display Avatars Sort By:
Guy Bouchard
(gbouchar) - M
Stove's fuel for South America trip on 05/11/2011 17:52:35 MDT Print View

We are preparing for a one year long south america bicycle trip. Mainlay Peru, Chile and Argentina. When touring here (Quebec, USA), i use a MYOG alcohol stove set and like it. It is simple to use and low noise. At first, i was sure i need a multi-fuel pressure stove for an extended south america trip. I read last week, alcohol may not be that bad to find there.

What do you think of alcohol stove for an extended trip in south america?

Would a wood stove + alcohol burner a better idea?

Any suggestion is welcomed.

Thanks!

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Stove's fuel for South America trip on 05/12/2011 12:31:01 MDT Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/global_test_gear_list_part_2

if not enough info in their articles you can post questions and they will answer.

Walter Carrington
(Snowleopard) - M

Locale: Mass.
Not wood stove for 3rd world travel. on 05/12/2011 12:41:11 MDT Print View

Except in the Amazon, you should not use a wood stove (and in the Amazon, you may never find dry wood). In many places wood for fuel is scarce or non-existent and what there is should not be used by visitors. Many places have been deforested.

A liquid fueled stove, MSR XGK, Optimus Nova, etc. might be the easiest. The authors' of the article cited above would have more current info; I think they used a canister stove.

j lan
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: Stove's fuel for South America trip on 05/12/2011 14:01:13 MDT Print View

I think the only 2 reliable fuels are going to be denatured alcohol or white gas/kerosine/gas if you are going anywhere out of the way.

So that leaves you with an alcohol stove or a multi-fuel pump stove. I would go with an omnifuel stove from msr or primus personally as I have talked to people that ended up resorting to kerosine, paraffin or even regular gas in places.

Edited by justaddfuel on 05/12/2011 14:03:14 MDT.