Forum Index » GEAR » Backcountry Boiler Mk II available!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: BCB on Kickstarter on 05/12/2011 17:14:48 MDT Print View

Way to go Devin. I got a prime. Your almost there!
Great concept Kickstarter has there.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Re: Dear 6 people who pledged $600.... on 05/12/2011 17:23:37 MDT Print View

"I'm part French. That calls for 7 course meals, even in the backcountry......."

Does that mean that you cook all 7 courses at the same time? :)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Dear 6 people who pledged $600.... on 05/12/2011 17:28:41 MDT Print View

"Does that mean that you cook all 7 courses at the same time? :)"

Drats. Foiled again.....

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dear 6 people who pledged $600.... on 05/12/2011 18:06:21 MDT Print View

Oh well... I was imagining an octopus with a French accent lighting 7 BCB's all at once ;)

David Cleckner
(blaster6) - F

Locale: Colorado
Wow on 05/12/2011 18:06:54 MDT Print View

That was impressive. Made the goal already. Congratulations Devin!

I guess that means I have to cough up $90 dollars then. At least I have until June to tell the wife.

Edited by blaster6 on 05/12/2011 18:14:03 MDT.

J P
(jpovs) - F - M
Re: Backcountry Boiler Mk II available! on 05/13/2011 05:39:30 MDT Print View

If your looking to get the prime, keep checking back. One spot opened up this morning so I grabed it. Looks like a good setup.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Re: Backcountry Boiler Mk II available! on 05/13/2011 06:09:14 MDT Print View

Congrats Devin,
I did my bit to plug this for you too.
Time to get those spinning tools warm...

Dylan Snodgrass
(TrueNorth)

Locale: San Francisco, CA
Backcountry Boiler Mk II available! on 05/13/2011 08:01:12 MDT Print View

Congratulations Devin. It is fun to be part of the BCB process. My BCB version 1.0 has been fantastic. I had no idea something like Kickstarter existed, totally cool...

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Backcountry Boiler Mk II available! on 05/13/2011 08:13:44 MDT Print View

Husband let it be known last night he bought in. Good boy!

John Vance
(Servingko) - F

Locale: Intermountain West
I'm in! on 05/13/2011 08:15:49 MDT Print View

Thanks for the link. I am in and glad to see such an innovative product being funded in an innovative way.

Edited by Servingko on 05/13/2011 08:16:49 MDT.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Backcountry Boiler Mk II available! on 05/13/2011 08:31:26 MDT Print View

Bummer. I missed out on a numbered version for the second time.

Michael Rollins
(wind_walker)

Locale: Midwest
Alcohol stove backup on 05/14/2011 08:44:25 MDT Print View

Does anyone happen to know if you might be able to but a pepsi stove in the burn chamber as a backup in case there is no dry fuel material available? I normally carry the bud-light alky stove, which would likely not work. But I've seen where bush-buddy users put a pepsi stove in the can for a backup.

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: Alcohol stove backup on 05/14/2011 09:00:24 MDT Print View

This link may be helpful Alcohol and BCB

Edited by rogerb on 05/14/2011 09:02:00 MDT.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Re: Alcohol stove backup on 05/14/2011 09:32:01 MDT Print View

Zelph has an alcohol burner called the "Companion Burner" on his site; it's pretty inexpensive, holds 3oz of fuel if I remember correctly, and it works quite well in a Kelly Kettle. The only problem that it might have with the BCB is size; if it fits, it should work great, but since the firepan for the BCB is smaller than the firepan for the Kelly Kettle it's possible that the companion burner won't fit in there.

I'll probably end up using alcohol at least as much as I use wood in my BCB when I get it, because most of the places I camp in the Cascades and Olympics have been no-fire zones. It makes me appreciate the kettle's versatility, because it extracts a lot of heat from an alcohol stove.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Re: Alcohol stove backup on 05/14/2011 10:01:36 MDT Print View

As a backup you can pour alcohol directly into the firepan of the BCB and then partially cover the intake hole of the firepan (a strip of aluminum foil works good) to slow the burn rate. I've found you need to cover a large part of the hole, like 80% of it (very rough estimate so experiment). I was able to get 2 cups to boil with about 1/2 oz of alcohol by weight (think it was about 20ml) in about 10 minutes or so.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Re: Re: Re: Alcohol stove backup on 05/15/2011 14:55:42 MDT Print View

"As a backup you can pour alcohol directly into the firepan of the BCB..."

That's too easy ;)

It seems like it's only slightly less efficient than an actual alcohol burner (I finally read the review on LightweightOutdoors). I suppose it make sense though, since there are quite a few alcohol stoves that work pretty well, and are basically just fuel cups with air holes.

Michael Rollins
(wind_walker)

Locale: Midwest
Alky bs bcb on 05/17/2011 20:55:30 MDT Print View

Thx for the alky / bcb responses. May just stick with my low cost bud-light bottle stove. But at 9.5 ounces for the bcb, that's pretty appealing. Amazing how quickly Devin raised the needed funds for his project.

Mike

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Backcountry Boiler Mk II available! on 05/17/2011 20:57:19 MDT Print View

Devin's up to nearly $36,000 now. Amazing.

Nate Davis
(Knaight) - F

Locale: Western Massachusetts
I bought one on 05/18/2011 04:02:49 MDT Print View

I pulled the trigger on it, which surprises even me, because I love my alcohol stove. However, the thought of not having to carry or mess with fuel is way too appealing. Even on an overnight, the new setup will save me a couple ounces. On a multi-day trip? I'll be saving half a pound or more.

I've also been cooking with 91% isopropyl alcohol lately, because the toxicity of Heet worries me a bit. Isopropyl is sooty and inefficient, though, which means things get dirtier and my water takes longer to boil. A 4-5 minute boil time for two cups of water is going to be amazing.

I wouldn't spend this much simply to save a couple ounces, but it's absolutely worth it for the weight savings combined with the convenience.

billy goat
(billygoat) - F

Locale: West.
So when is the titanium version coming? on 05/18/2011 05:23:50 MDT Print View

Looks like you're on track to $50,000 of orders... time to invest in creating Ti version and then get REI to buy a couple thousand of them just after selling a bunch to us???