Backcountry Boiler Mk II available!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Hendrik Morkel
(skullmonkey) - MLife

Locale: Finland
Backcountry Boiler Mk II available! on 05/11/2011 03:26:37 MDT Print View

Devin just put the Backcountry Boiler Mk II up on Kickstarter.

Click here to get yours!

Thomas Budge
(budgthom) - F

Locale: Idaho
Supreme v. Prime on 05/11/2011 08:53:15 MDT Print View

Can someone explain why the new "Prime" version does not come with a stuffsack? Devin's video says that the softshell sleeve replaces the stuffsack, but unless that sleeve encompasses the base of the boiler it would seem that the lack of a stuffsack would result in soot from the inside of the boiler getting into your pack.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Supreme v. Prime on 05/11/2011 09:32:13 MDT Print View

The stuffsack/sleeve on the Prime appears to be both a sleeve and all-encompassing stuffsack. I suspect that Devin doesn't want to show detailed pictures of this new sleeve yet for fear that that British company will once again steal his design.

Christopher Taggart
(PennDude)

Locale: Western PA
Signed up on 05/11/2011 15:44:35 MDT Print View

I woke up to the email on my phone and hurriedly signed up for mine. Well, in my semi conscious state, I signed up for the Prime. I wish I knew more details about it. I would like to have an included bag so my pack doesn't smell like soot.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: Signed up on 05/11/2011 16:08:55 MDT Print View

Thanks guys!

On the Prime - that softshell sleeve is also a stuff sack, just folded up. In the middle of the video, I set it down on a big rock and you can see how it looks in stuff sack mode. I'm traveling right now, but will post pics to clarify when I get home.

BTW - can I just say Holy Cow! 90 backers in 12 hours. I think I just peed a little. :)

Christopher Taggart
(PennDude)

Locale: Western PA
Re: Re: Signed up on 05/11/2011 19:23:18 MDT Print View

You deserve a serious pat on the back and I'm tempted to take a quick afternoon trip to the burgh to buy you a beer. What a following the BackCountry Boiler has amassed!

This is literally how my morning went. Woke up to the notifying email and tried to decipher what it was all about. Took it all it. Panicked and immediately signed up in support of the Prime to hold my spot. It was ridiculous.

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Supreme vs Prime on 05/11/2011 20:35:40 MDT Print View

The description of the Prime seems to imply it is Anodized but not the Supreme. Am I reading that right?

Edited by randalmartin on 05/11/2011 20:37:16 MDT.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Supreme vs Prime on 05/11/2011 23:24:00 MDT Print View

At least the 2nd batch is coming when I'm employed... I missed out on the last one because my contract ended and I'd just paid for my Africa trip. Now I have another contract, so I have some income and can actually support Devin this time :)

Way to go, Devin... you're already past the half-way point, and you just started your Kickstarter campaign! My first one didn't go nearly so well... I didn't get the word out to enough people quickly enough :-/

Larry M
(Maethros) - MLife

Locale: Mid South
Re: Supreme vs Prime on 05/12/2011 11:50:12 MDT Print View

Darn, I missed out on a Prime. My son confiscated my 1st Gen.

Andy Schill
(Aschill) - F
nice on 05/12/2011 15:15:23 MDT Print View

Wow, the Boiler is getting A LOT of press. REI just posted a link to the Boiler on Kickstarter saying people should help fund it.

I need to get one..

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: nice on 05/12/2011 15:24:19 MDT Print View

Wow. And in two days it's almost hit its target already!

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
REI on 05/12/2011 15:55:44 MDT Print View

whoa, Andy where do you see the REI spotlight on the BCB? *EDIT ah, its on their twitter feed. Cool!

I do see the outside blog article about it! Great publicity...even though there are a few mKettle trolls posting in the comments section. Do your part and whack-a-mole on these a-holes.

http://outside-blog.away.com/blog/2011/05/the-gear-junkie-scoop-backcountry-boiler-camp-stove.html

Devon, this must be a pretty exciting time for you! Truly inspirational my friend. Who need's a law degree when you can build an empire out of wood twigs, neoprene, and anodized aluminum ;) Congrats!

Edited by Konrad1013 on 05/12/2011 16:34:58 MDT.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
rei on 05/12/2011 16:03:30 MDT Print View

http://twitter.com/#!/REI/statuses/68783715752484864

Backcountry Boiler: Hot water from found fuel.
A new project on @Kickstarter you may just want to help fund!
http://kck.st/kKuhJA

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: rei on 05/12/2011 16:25:15 MDT Print View

WOW, that's great PR. I'm also glad to see that REI (or at least a savvy employee) is making the effort to ensure that the proper design (and designer) is recognized for their tremendous effort.

Devin, Congratulations. In just about a day you've managed to nearly raise the full $20K for this production run. I'm glad the community is able to support you in your endeavors! I know this has been a labor of love for you over the past few years and it's amazing to see it start to gain traction. Unfortunately I'm just a poor college student again that's focused on gearing up my outdoor climbing and not backpacking, but I look forward to future production runs from you when I can snag one of these myself!

I see this as just the beginning of your story, and it's inspiring to all of those that produce high quality gear and dream of bringing them to market someday.

-Dustin

R S
(rps76) - F
Dear 6 people who pledged $600.... on 05/12/2011 16:27:29 MDT Print View

You six people obviously 1) have more money than I do and 2) seem, at least to me, like people who like to see their money go to a good cause. Also, I see no reason why one should have, nor need, 6 Backcountry Boilers. So if you could be so kind, could you please give one to me. I promise to use the **** out of it. Thank you.

Me.

Edited by rps76 on 05/12/2011 16:28:19 MDT.

Paul Gibson
(pgibson) - F

Locale: SW Idaho
Re: Dear 6 people who pledged $600.... on 05/12/2011 16:45:32 MDT Print View

RS, There is a group of folks going in together on multiple groups of six on another forum. ;) More than likely they will all be spoken for by the end of the day.

Devin, Looks like you are going to likely run well over goal, any chance of more Primes being added? As of right now there is less than $1000 left needed to hit the goal, congrats. :)

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Dear 6 people who pledged $600.... on 05/12/2011 16:46:24 MDT Print View

Almost there...

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Dear 6 people who pledged $600.... on 05/12/2011 16:50:33 MDT Print View

"Also, I see no reason why one should have, nor need, 6 Backcountry Boilers."

I'm part French. That calls for 7 course meals, even in the backcountry.......

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Backcountry Boiler Mk II available ! on 05/12/2011 17:02:03 MDT Print View

Of course !
The curse of the seven course
I am a bit of a Francophile myself
Franco
(well done Devin)

R S
(rps76) - F
6 people. on 05/12/2011 17:11:00 MDT Print View