(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
very interesting on 05/10/2011 21:25:08 MDT Print View

Congrats to the winners.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Hmmmm... on 05/11/2011 12:22:14 MDT Print View

The 1st and 2nd place lists are far too personalized to be useful to others.

Only the 3rd place winner is truly useful because its sub-categories are more generic.

P.S. On loooking at other submissions I've found some very useful lists. Thanks for sponsoring the competition.

Edited by Danepacker on 05/11/2011 12:30:20 MDT.

Marco A. Sánchez
(marcoasn) - M

Locale: The fabulous Pyrenees
Re: Hmmmm... on 05/12/2011 01:32:42 MDT Print View

+1 ;-)

Cheers

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
re: 24-Hour Gear Lists on 05/13/2011 06:04:57 MDT Print View

Wow! What a set of submissions, each one is really great in so many different ways. The creativity shown is impressive. I am honored just to have my submission read by the judges.

Eric, I really like hearing peoples thoughts on how these lists might have been judged differently. What seemed like a simple exercise took more hours of my Chistmas vacation than I would ever admit. You hit the nail on the head with that item that I found the most challenging.

Dealing with criteria #1 vs #2...

1. Simplicity and applicability for a 24-hour trip.
2. Generic-ness and ability to appeal to a wide audience without modification.

For help with simplicity I drew apon this statement..."Your gear list should be as SIMPLE as possible and contain as few items as possible without sacrificing a great deal of comfort or safety."

Since simplicity was listed first I focused on this then tested for the other requirement like Generic-ness. To achieve simplicity I selected poncho tarping as my technique. When "testing" the list I found I could swap techniques and use the list without modification. In this way I was satisfied with criteria #2.

So for example...If my approach was "tenting" instead of "poncho tarping" all I did for the "Actuals" lines was to write in "Tarptent Moment" on the poncho tarp line, "None" on the bivy line, "precip jacket and pants" on the wind shirt line. I agree this isnt as generic as many of the other list, but this was how I addressed it.

I learned a lot during this process and appreciate BPL for sponsoring the contest.

Jamie