DIY dri-ducks rain chaps
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Thompson
(er0ck) - F

Locale: PNW
DIY dri-ducks rain chaps on 05/06/2011 21:19:00 MDT Print View

hacked away at my large (too big for me) dri-ducks pants to make rain chaps.

i always hated putting these things on, even with the zippers at the cuffs. i'd always get them muddy on the inside and they'd make me too hot where i'd never get wet due to my rain jacket or poncho.

turns out there are pocket openings at the top with a snap at the middle. my plan was to use those to snap them to my belt (extra shoe lace). i also cut off the elastic at the cuff because i hate it.

the zipper at the cuff is a bit heavy so i replaced it with two plastic snaps.
i also realized the metal snap on the pocket is a bit heavy so i just chopped it off and put a plastic snap below where it was.

was 6.5 oz or so. now... 2.8oz for the pair!

new cuffs

hip snaps

Eric Thompson
(er0ck) - F

Locale: PNW
diaper on 05/07/2011 00:46:05 MDT Print View

so... anyone want a dri-ducks diaper?diaper left over

Michael Reagan
(MichaelReagan) - F

Locale: Southern California
DriDucks Chaps on 06/10/2011 15:45:47 MDT Print View

Thanks Eric,

As it turns out, I've been thinking of converting an extra pair of DriDucks pants into chaps. I did a quick Google search just to see if anyone else has tried this, and badda-bing-badda-boom, it sent me right back here to the brain-trust at good old BPL. I should have known one of our own smart chaps would have already come up with an idea for some, well, smart chaps. Nice job!

Michael

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: DIY dri-ducks rain chaps on 06/11/2011 09:56:23 MDT Print View

Eric,

Thanks for the idea.

I could convert my rain pants to rain shorts using your idea. The area below the knee doesn't matter to me anyway.

Daryl