Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
looking for a yard or two of something cheap
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ted E
(Mtn_nut) - MLife

Locale: Morrison, CO
looking for a yard or two of something cheap on 05/06/2011 21:18:31 MDT Print View

i would like to make a mini-frame bag for my bicycle, however i really need to practice first and make a few prototypes since im not particularly good at sewing. most of my sewing experiance comes from repairing stuff, not making it. i would like to make the final product out of something lightweight, durable, and water-resistant (maybe some dyneema x http://thru-hiker.com/materials/coated.php )

anyways, i was wondering if there is a cheap material that kinda behaves like dyneema so that i am sewing something similar for the prototypes before i actually make the bag out of dyneema.

Thanks,
Ted

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Fabric Shops on 05/06/2011 21:52:48 MDT Print View

Any quality fabric shop will have a $1/yd bin. At the very least you can prototype some designs with it. My fabric shop actually carries parachute material in their dollar bin. I was lucky enough to find plenty of silnylon and uncoated nylon to practice on since it has a considerably different feel (slippery) than most other cheap fabrics.

I also hear that walmart has a similar dollar bin for fabric, however I've never seen any walmart in my area that sells any fabric at all, but many other areas apparently do.

Good luck!

David Miles
(davidmiles) - F

Locale: Eastern Sierra
Tyvek HomeWrap on 05/11/2011 01:29:26 MDT Print View

Try some Tyvek,
You might even be surprised at the durability!

Greg Wheelwright
(gdw) - M
Rockywoods on 05/11/2011 10:41:28 MDT Print View

You can pick up XPAC locally, Loveland, for half the price of Dyneema.
http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/All-Ripstop-Nylon-Fabrics/XPAC-Ripstop-Nylon-Fabric
It's slightly heavier but just as durable for your application and easier to work with. You should be able to make at least two frame packs from a yard of fabric and have extra left over.

>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Locale: NEO
Re: looking for a yard or two of something cheap on 05/11/2011 13:14:43 MDT Print View

I have a yard of 330d Cordura in the gear swap!