Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Looking for partners in the NE for 3-4 day moderate trips

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Locale: Norwalk, CT
Looking for partners in the NE for 3-4 day moderate trips on 05/05/2011 11:03:57 MDT Print View

I'm in CT, an hour north of NYC.

I'd like to find some hiking partners who would like to do some hiking in the Catskills and the Adirondacks for 3-4 day weekend trips.

Moderate pace = ~10 miles/day but I'm open to more or less possibly depending on terrain.

Thanks!

Bryce

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

*bump* on 05/07/2011 19:00:31 MDT Print View

*bump*

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

*bump* on 05/09/2011 18:16:03 MDT Print View

*bump*

Andrew Crane
(TacoBear) - F

Locale: North Central Pa
Join on 05/10/2011 18:38:48 MDT Print View

I am in central Pa. I am planning on doing the loyalsock trail. 10 miles a day its a 59 mile trail. Trying to do it in 4-5 days. Would like to go ASAP. Only waiting on fellow adventurist.

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

A little out of my comfort zone on 05/10/2011 18:47:41 MDT Print View

Thanks for checking in Andrew, but I fear I'd be hold you back at that pace, especially this early in the season as I could be in better shape. Plus the trail is 4+ hours away from me. :(

Looking at the pics, it certainly has some great views. Maybe I'd try it later in the season!

Al Nichols
(everready) - F

Locale: Sh!^^% Ohio
Re: *bump* on 05/11/2011 17:42:30 MDT Print View

Hey,

Keep me in mind. Ten miles a day might be a little too much but I could probably hack it. I do like to hike a bit slower than the average guy though. I like to take my time and "smell the roses" along the way. Especially if the scenery is spectacular.

Al

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Ohio on 05/11/2011 18:03:40 MDT Print View

If you can get over from Ohio, perhaps!

I was thinking of trying this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Path

Andrew Crane
(TacoBear) - F

Ohio on 05/11/2011 18:41:21 MDT Print View

Well i could try to meet halfway if you like. I have already section hiked the LT. I enjoy a slow pace as well. Let me know

Andrew Crane
(TacoBear) - F

info on 05/11/2011 18:47:10 MDT Print View

What section of this. Also what area would we enter the trail head?

Al Nichols
(everready) - F

Locale: Sh!^^% Ohio
Central Pa. hike? on 05/11/2011 19:34:31 MDT Print View

I hiked part of this http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/hiking/images/Quehanna_East.pdf
http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx?trailid=HGN196-019
about 10 years ago. Saw some elk, it was pretty cool. This is central Pa. That might be about in the middle for each of us. I think it's about 7 hours for me (Cleveland).

Al

Andrew Crane
(TacoBear) - F

let me know on 05/11/2011 20:00:51 MDT Print View

Whatever you y'all plan let me know. I am game whenever.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Long Path on 05/12/2011 05:15:49 MDT Print View

Hi Bryce and gang,

Sorry I'm late on this.

I have taken off a week in July.

My tentative plan is now to start the section of the "Long Path" from section 12, Sam's Point Preserve near Ellenville, NY and head north ending somewhere in the Catskills.
I hope to complete 60+ miles.

I have a bad hip that causes me to take more long breaks than most experienced backpackers. I am usually good for about 10 miles a day, depending on terrain.

There are some nice sections on this leg of the trail and not too many road walks.

http://www.nynjtc.org/region/long-path

Edited by brooklynkayak on 05/12/2011 05:23:47 MDT.

Andrew Crane
(TacoBear) - F

Re: Long Path on 05/12/2011 10:14:56 MDT Print View

Sounds good. I have been known to talk a whole crew into 4 miles based on a spot that had to be explored rather then just passed.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

The Loyalsock Trail on 05/12/2011 12:44:15 MDT Print View

the loyalsock trail does look like a good option.

I might consider that myself?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: The Loyalsock Trail on 05/12/2011 12:46:34 MDT Print View

Loyalsock is a wonderful trail. Some pretty steep sections, including a bit of rock hopping, so be forewarned of that. Plenty of water, some really pretty scenery. Highly recommended.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Also the Quehanna Trail on 05/12/2011 12:49:04 MDT Print View

Quehanna Trail looks good as well.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Also the Quehanna Trail on 05/12/2011 12:49:54 MDT Print View

As does the Allegheny Front Trail.

PA is fabulous for trails!

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: Looking for partners in the NE for 3-4 day moderate trips on 05/12/2011 13:27:09 MDT Print View

I'm in a SW suburb of Albany and will be doing the JMT [John Muir Trail] (for the 4th time) this July 26, so over the July 4th weekend, I'd like to get in a 3 day hike in an interesting part of the catskills. I'd like to do about a 25-28 mile segment of the LongPath that hits some interesting points but also feasible campsites at about mile 7-9 (sat nite spot) and halfway between the first night and endpoint for the second night.

There is a married couple from the Albany area doing the JMT with me and I think the wife is busy that weekend but not the husband. I might be able to get two others from the JMT group up here from Indianapolis IN -- haven't asked them yet.

We certainly would enjoy your company, Bryce? Interested in that weekend?

PS, maybe we could work out a connect and join Steven's week long July hike on the Longpath too. Are you planning on hiking with anyone else that week, Steven?

Edited by marti124 on 05/12/2011 13:28:38 MDT.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Long Path... on 05/12/2011 13:58:22 MDT Print View

Hey Roleigh,

I tend to hike by myself and meet up with people along the way, but no commitment. I can't keep up with most of the people I hike with because of a disability that requires that I stop more than most people want. We usually share rides/shuttles, but separate on the trail, meeting at a camp area or at the trail end.

That policy could work out with you if you only do the 10 miles per day that I usually do. But we wouldn't have to stay together the whole time and could play it by ear.

The northern end of "The Long Path" is just outside of Albany, but from what I understand, isn't maintained anywhere near as well as the southern part. This is why my Albany friends aren't interested in hiking it, too much of a bushwhack.

There are some nice trails in the Albany area, I don't have the details at this point. Of course the Catskills and Adirondacks are the most popular and for good reason, but there are nice trails that are closer.

There are too many trails that I want to explore and not enough time off from work:-)

Edited by brooklynkayak on 05/12/2011 14:34:22 MDT.

Andrew Crane
(TacoBear) - F

asap on 05/12/2011 14:36:25 MDT Print View

If anyone wants to head out asap for anything in the northeast area within a few hours from me let me know. I am ready asap.