I notice that in more than a few UL and SUL gear lists that most don't carry a signal mirror and I am curious as to how you would signal for help when the need arises. Do most just rely on a signal fire , or luck, or maybe the ability to chop down trees with your bare hands to spell out SOS? I am also curious because signal mirrors mostly work with direct sun light, so what do you do on a cloudy day? Here are the parameters:
1. Cloudy day with or without rain in a dense forest. Lows around 40 and highs around 60. On a 60 mile trip leaving a trip plan with someone.
2. You are unable to travel (or lost) but still able to preform simple tasks to survive.
3. No signal mirror, cel phone, sat phone, or personal locating beacon.
4. Excluding whistle(searchers out of ear shot), signal fire, smoke signal, or bright colored artical of clothing (usually to small to be seen), as well as LED light(usually not bright enough to be seen over one mile).
5. Still having your usual three season gear with you and none is missing or broken.
6. Your method to include the ability to signal searchers in the air as well as on the ground.
Anyone up to the challange? I look forward to reading your resonses.