PNW June BPL Meetup
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
PNW June BPL Meetup on 05/11/2011 15:37:19 MDT Print View

How about the east slope of the Cascades? I'm thinking of the Bumping Lake area, which has a lot of car campgrounds, some with group sites, and a number of early season hikes close by (American Ridge, Pleasant Valley, Fife's Peaks, possibly Mt. Aix). However, if you're planning on early June, Chinook Pass may not be open, which means a long drive around from US 12 at Naches (a few miles west of Yakima). WSDOT just announced that Chinook pass will definitely not be open by Memorial Day and they can't predict when it will open. It's still avalanching up there!

Another possibility is the Teanaway Valley area, which also melts out earlier than the west slope and has a lot of good June hikes. This would be off I-90. A bit far from Portland, though.

Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

Locale: PNW
Oh lordy... not Packwood! LOL. on 05/11/2011 17:38:41 MDT Print View

Teannaways are always awesome.

Sar, what was the name of that camp on Rainier... American River? The NWhikers trip. The one with the pink and blue privies. THAT would be an awesome base camp as well.

ETA: later in the year. :)

Coastal trip perhaps??

Edited by dicentra on 05/11/2011 17:40:13 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Oh lordy... not Packwood! LOL. on 05/11/2011 19:39:56 MDT Print View

Di is right, there is a really COOL place out via Bumping River. It is this awesome old ski "lodge" that the FS rents out (it really is a wood house) with the coolest multi person privy, which sadly they repainted. Used to be pink for the ladies, blue for the gents. It has a private road with gate, etc.

I have gone to 2 functions there - last one was my husband's 4 wheeling group and before that with Di for a NWHikers annual Memorial Day weekend blast.

Teanaways after meltout are gorgeous and the camping is e-z-y.

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
Re: Re: Oh lordy... not Packwood! LOL. on 05/11/2011 20:33:29 MDT Print View

I can hear the Californians chuckling.

That American River lodge is booked as are all the cabins in the area for the weekends around then.

Teanaways are about 4 hrs from Portland.

Could also do a dosewallips/starecase/duckabush trip, but doesnt ONP have caps as well? And they're getting to be 3 hours from Portland

Getting tired of looking at the WTA map. Might post something on nwhikers...

Edited by ChrisMorgan on 05/11/2011 20:40:43 MDT.

Steve S
(idahosteve) - F

Locale: Idaho
some "others" on 05/11/2011 21:32:09 MDT Print View

Hey! What about some of us from out of the general area....???? I would love to join the group, and coming from Idaho is realistic, not to bad for mileage... please keep me in the loop! Love to see some new country, and you all are welcome to head this way and I'd be glad to direct or organize a trip... have room for plenty here! LOL

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: On caps on 05/12/2011 09:18:34 MDT Print View

I'd say that is why rustic car camping trips can be a better idea over a backcountry trip - if you have a larger group expected. Di and I did a lot of group trips in the 2000's - often we simply had too many people (even if under the heart beat rule). What we found about the car camping trips is we picked an area near good hiking and then those who wanted could hike all day - and then everyone came back and had great food, beer (if desired), picnic tables, comfy chairs and even a fire - and it was easy to meet everyone. The car trips became pretty fun, although we slowed down on them due to kids and whatnot. It also means that non-hiking spouses can come as well :-)

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Re: PNW June BPL Meetup - Picking a Location on 05/27/2011 13:18:08 MDT Print View

Edited by ChrisMorgan on 06/10/2011 20:56:54 MDT.

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

PNW June BPL Meetup - Headcount on 06/01/2011 20:39:51 MDT Print View

Edited by ChrisMorgan on 06/10/2011 20:57:37 MDT.

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
PNW June BPL Meetup on 06/02/2011 09:52:17 MDT Print View

I'm interested. PM sent.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

PNW June BPL Meetup on 06/02/2011 10:52:14 MDT Print View

I was away so first time I've seen this thread.

I'm interested as well!

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

PNW June BPL Meetup - Coldwater Ridge on 06/10/2011 21:07:03 MDT Print View

Since I haven't gotten any more responses on location, and since there hasn't been an outcry for car camping, I think Coldwater is the best option. (I checked out the Vanson area yesterday, and it's not very practical, and the areas around Rainier should still be very snow covered). Right now, I have a permit for 8 at Ridge Camp, which is mostly snow free, and has lots of hiking options in the area which are also snow free. (Maybe even as far back as some of the lakes behind Whittier, if we're lucky!) So the details are below. If you are a yes or most likely, let me know so we can expect you. If there is a last minute outcry for car camping, a desire to have a campfire, or something else, I'm not totally committed to MSH...

Date: Friday June 24 through Sunday the 26th. I have ridge camp reserved for both Friday and Saturday night so folks can come and go as they please.

Location: Mount St. Helens - Coldwater Ridge. Coldwater South TH - right off of 504, I think it's mile 43 (the next trailhead after Hummocks). Ridge camp is 3 miles in and 1000ft up from the trailhead.

Money: If you're parking, you just need a NWFP. Otherwise, there is no fee - we just need to coordinate the (free) permits.

What to bring:
Sorry, no dogs in MSH monument.
Kids are fine
Fires are prohibited, so if someone wants to bring a bush buddy, or 7...

Carpooling: I'd be happy to carpool up from Portland if people are interested. If you want to carpool, I'd post something to this effect, and we can try to cut down on cars.

Who's coming (so far):

Definite:
Chris Morgan (Friday and Saturday)

Expressed interest:
Steven Paris
Kathleen B
Mike Matthisen
Mike Heil
Josh Newkirk
Jake Palmer
Joshua Gilbert
Seth T

(If you need any convincing, here's a shot from the ridge, from last night):
v

Edited by ChrisMorgan on 06/11/2011 00:39:57 MDT.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

PNW June BPL Meetup on 06/11/2011 00:33:32 MDT Print View

Thanks for organizing.

I'm nearly 100% in, just need to clear it with my wife. Not sure whether I'll be able to come up on Friday night or Saturday morning, but I can drive a few people with me, whenever I leave.

Josh Newkirk
(Newkirk) - MLife

Locale: Australia
pnw bpl on 06/11/2011 01:11:29 MDT Print View

Bummer, will have to catch the next trip.

I fly out to alaska to go commercial fishing on the 15th of June.

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Re: PNW June BPL Meetup on 06/21/2011 20:29:18 MDT Print View

It's looking like this has fizzled out. Maybe late Fall would be better for people's schedules. I'm still game, but won't plan on it unless I hear back.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

PNW June BPL Meetup on 06/21/2011 23:14:11 MDT Print View

Chris,

Sorry I haven't responded again, but I'm in for Saturday if you want to go. I might be able to leave Friday evening, but I'm not sure I'd be able to get to the TH by dark. No problem if you have already scheduled something else, but I'm pretty sure I'll be outside somewhere for Saturday night.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: PNW June BPL Meetup - Coldwater Ridge on 06/22/2011 11:49:04 MDT Print View

Chris,

Awesome that you are getting a group of BPLers together for a trip.

Please post up some photos of your group adventures when it is all said and done.

Would be great to see the people and gear that our fellow BPLers are using.

You guys are going to to have a great time!

-Tony

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Re: PNW June BPL Meetup on 06/22/2011 23:25:05 MDT Print View

Steve-

I think we'll officially postpone this one - I'll maybe post something in a few months and see if there are more bites then.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

PNW June BPL Meetup on 06/22/2011 23:53:32 MDT Print View

Np on the official BPL meet-up, but let me know if you are heading anywhere and want company. Just checked out your linked "went hiking" site -- you've hit a lot of areas already this spring. I've never gone to Trapper Creek with as much snow as you had. It's one of those places that seems like it should be snow-free a lot earlier than it ever is.

Funny enough, Table Mtn is one of the few places I have made it to this spring!

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

PNW June BPL Meetup on 06/24/2011 17:44:49 MDT Print View

Anyone interested in an overnight trip (over Saturday night) to Staircase area? North Fork of Skokomish is supposedly clear up to about Nine Stream.