Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
PNW June BPL Meetup
Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
PNW June BPL Meetup on 05/04/2011 18:57:14 MDT Print View

Date: Friday June 24 through Sunday the 26th. I have ridge camp reserved for both Friday and Saturday night so folks can come and go as they please.

Location: Mount St. Helens - Coldwater Ridge. Coldwater South TH - right off of 504, I think it's mile 43 (the next trailhead after Hummocks). Ridge camp is 3 miles in and 1000ft up from the trailhead.

Money: If you're parking, you just need a NWFP. Otherwise, there is no fee - we just need to coordinate the (free) permits.

What to bring:
Sorry, no dogs in MSH monument.
Kids are fine
Fires are prohibited, so if someone wants to bring a bush buddy, or 7...

Carpooling: I'd be happy to carpool up from Portland if people are interested. If you want to carpool, I'd post something to this effect, and we can try to cut down on cars.

Who's coming (so far):

Definite:
Chris Morgan (Friday and Saturday)

Expressed interest:
Steven Paris
Kathleen B
Mike Matthisen
Mike Heil
Josh Newkirk
Jake Palmer
Joshua Gilbert
Seth T

Edited by ChrisMorgan on 06/10/2011 21:00:19 MDT.

Josh Newkirk
(Newkirk) - MLife

Locale: Australia
PNW BPL meet up on 05/04/2011 21:06:39 MDT Print View

The weekend before sounds good. (11 and 12 i think)

I havent lived here very long so where ever you guys reckon is best sounds good to me.

Jake Palmer
(jakep_82) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: PNW June BPL Meetup on 05/04/2011 21:29:26 MDT Print View

I think I can work around any of those weekends. I haven't done any hiking in the St. Helens area so that sounds good to me.

Michael Mathisen
(mathix)

Locale: Oregon
A solid maybe on 05/04/2011 22:16:52 MDT Print View

I'm game. Depends on location though. I'm in Eugene so distance well be my major issue.

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Re: PNW June BPL Meetup on 05/05/2011 12:01:50 MDT Print View

Its sounding like (between these two threads), one of the last two weekends in June is best.

I have a call in to the Gifford Pinchot ranger to see if there is any camping accessible from 504 that would be open to groups larger than 4. Everything in Mt. Margaret Backcountry has a 4 person cap. The other options would be to do something up towards off of Rt. 12, below 4500ft or so. That would keep driving from both Seattle and Portland to below 2.5 hrs. Like the Tatoosh area? (I have no idea.) Anyone that knows that area feel free to chime in.

And we can carpool from either direction, I'm sure.

Edited by ChrisMorgan on 05/05/2011 12:11:14 MDT.

Joshua Gilbert
(joshcgil2) - F

Locale: Seattle
Re: Re: PNW June BPL Meetup on 05/05/2011 12:17:56 MDT Print View

last weekend in June is probably best for me, definitely out for the 11th or 12th. I'll start doing some research on good locations as well.

seth t
(diggity) - F
oo on 05/05/2011 13:06:37 MDT Print View

oo

Edited by diggity on 04/06/2012 20:25:45 MDT.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
PNW June BPL Meetup on 05/05/2011 13:37:26 MDT Print View

At this point, between personal backpacking plans and obligations with family and organizations, my schedule for the next few months is not only full, but "overstuffed."

I would be interested if something were arranged for the fall, though. At least we wouldn't have to contend with the effects of this year's way-above-average snowpack and abnormally late "spring"! Both of those will considerably restrict location options in June this year. That, of course, assumes that at some point this year we have a summer!

Edited by hikinggranny on 05/05/2011 13:38:46 MDT.

Jake Palmer
(jakep_82) - MLife

Re: PNW June BPL Meetup on 05/05/2011 13:57:39 MDT Print View

"That, of course, assumes that at some point this year we have a summer!"

It was really nice yesterday. It's back to rain today, but I swear it was nice yesterday.

Edited by jakep_82 on 05/05/2011 13:58:09 MDT.

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

PNW June BPL Meetup on 05/05/2011 16:41:55 MDT Print View

I remember yesterday. I saw the sun. And I worked in my garden. I didn't plant the seeds until today, though, when it was raining. Saved me the bother of watering them. That's a benefit (?) of living in the Pacific Northwet.

Since this doesn't have to be a once in a life-time event, and you'll never match a schedule to everyone's preference, just pick something in June. St. Helens area sounds good. Then we can schedule others later, like in the autumn, as Mary suggests.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
PNW June BPL Meetup on 05/05/2011 17:04:55 MDT Print View

So that was the sun?.......the real-life, no-nonsense, genuine article? I remember learning about it in school, but it's been so long since I've seen it.

WOW, I'm impressed. It was so bright I could see for miles.

It was so warm, we almost worked in the yard naked - but we have a state trooper for a neighbor and decided that discretion was the better part of valor. You can't hike when you're in jail.

Edited by wandering_bob on 05/05/2011 17:05:47 MDT.

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Re: PNW June 25-26 BPL Meetup on 05/05/2011 17:35:10 MDT Print View

Alirght let's say the weekend of june 25, so you can put it on your calendar

It'll give us one more week on the snow :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: PNW June BPL Meetup on 05/06/2011 22:38:24 MDT Print View

I'd come but ... something tells me that not everyone would be keen on having Lil' Triple B in camp - he will be 14 months in June :-D

The Coldwater area is really nice. Gorgeous in June with flowers.

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

PNW June BPL Meetup on 05/07/2011 19:17:01 MDT Print View

Sarah - au contraire. I would hope Walker and Ford would be there, and Teresa would bring Maddie, and Doug Johnson would bring Henry and Lily. It would be fun! We could have slug races and seed-spitting contests! I'm such a grandma.

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Re: PNW June BPL Meetup on 05/07/2011 19:23:20 MDT Print View

And we need someone to make the taters!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Re: PNW June BPL Meetup on 05/11/2011 13:16:11 MDT Print View

Lol! Well if you all ever have a car campout (they can be a LOT of fun really for big groups) let me know, I'd come and sleep in the sweet sweet mini-van with the kids ;-) And cook. And drag Dicentra along!

Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

Locale: PNW
Sounds like fun! on 05/11/2011 13:21:05 MDT Print View

And I'm happy to bring the taters! lol.

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Re: Re: Re: PNW June BPL Meetup on 05/11/2011 13:35:34 MDT Print View

Edited by ChrisMorgan on 06/10/2011 20:59:29 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: PNW June BPL Meetup on 05/11/2011 15:10:59 MDT Print View

Di and I could tell tales of Packwood Lake for hours. Heehee.....

It is actually pretty though and if you leave the bottom of the lake and walk around a bit it is relatively quiet - those on ATV's and bikes stop at the dam/outlet where there are destroyed campsites.

Fair warning: you have to be able to put up with hill-billies and their many versions. And to not leave ANYTHING in your vehicle.

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Re: Re: PNW June BPL Meetup on 05/11/2011 15:14:00 MDT Print View

Alright, thats out. Other ideas?

(we can do ridge camp in the coldwater area, but it would be capped at 8)